Adding a new dog

Wiley

I have an eight month old male Cairn terrier named Zipper. Two days ago we got a 7 week old Cairn mix female. How would I know if this will work out?Zipper doesn't seem to hate her but wouldn't leave her alone. He mouths her but his tail is wagging. So we whine up keeping her in the crate alot. She only weights 2# he weights 10. Sorry if this is in the wrong forum.

Seven weeks is awfully young to be taken from the mother, so you're going to have to give her lots and lots of attention.

Zipper's probably fascinated with her; just supervise them when they're together. It doesn't sound like you're going to have any real problems with the two of them getting along. Your new baby's going to want to take a lot of naps, but she's also going to need a great deal of your time. The more time you spend with her now, the better the bond will be between you and the more confident and well-adjusted she will be. Too much time as a puppy spent locked up in the crate alone will result in a neurotic dog. Puppies weren't meant to be alone. That's why they have littermates. They're social creatures and need that interaction.

pitbulliest

Why don't you start by giving the dog back to whoever you got it from and telling them that no puppy should be taken away from the litter before AT LEAST 8 weeks of age...no matter what..

those 8 weeks are extremely important for the puppy..and during that last week the puppy may have learned some extremely important behaviors that it has no lost because you took it away from the mother..

read up on responsible breeders and see if the person you got your dog from had ANY of those characteristics..considering that one was one of the most important, I highly doubt that this person cares about anything but the money.

About crating your dog because your other one won't leave her alone? That is just wrong..you need to train your dog and let him know that if he has to LEAVE IT...it means NOW!...crating the dog is the easiest way to solve the problem, but definately not the smartest. You should have introduced your dog to the puppy before you decided to purchase her...

*sighs*..oh gawd.

Wiley

The woman I got the dog from wasn't really a breeder. Her story is she rescued the mother who was already pregnant. I didn't stop to think about how small the dog was until we where half way home. The Vet says she will be alright. The two dogs are getting along much better now. In fact two pound Salem wants to play rougher than Zipper who always wins.

lol ~ it's always the little one who wants to play harder! When we brought Kharma home I was trying to be careful and not overwhelm her with Bimmer and Shiva at the same time. Silly me! Bimmer stayed out of her reach for three days, and as soon as Charley let Shiva out of the house to meet her, Kharma - in all her 10 week old wisdom - charged Shiva and got between me and Shiva and wouldn't let poor Shiva pass! She pushed Shiva out of her food dish, rooted her out of her favorite spot on the sofa and was just generally an all around brat. We actually had to intervene on Shiva's behalf, she's just too nice for her own good sometimes.

Bimmer's completely besotted with the little demoness now; he even lets her eat out of his bowl sometimes, but he still makes her - and Shiva - behave. If they're muddy, he won't let them in the house until they've washed off in the wading pool, and he tells on them if they're being naughty. He can make them stop, but he wants me to know they're up to no good; plus he doesn't want to get blamed for any mess they leave!

Members online

No members online now.