Child breaks arm, school calls parent instead of ambulance - thoughts?

sillysally

Obey the Toad.
If it was not something life or death I'd prefer the school call me first, then I could decide whether to pick the kid up or have them call an ambulance. We live pretty close to a hospital and an elementary school, so it's likely I would be faster for me to go to the school and pick them up anyway.

Lyzelle

I grew up with school nurses being the norm. But I can hardly find any schools, especially southern, that have school nurses these days.

I'm not sure about broken bones, but most of the smaller concerns when we were kids were dealt with by the school nurse. Parents usually weren't called unless it DID require an immediate hospital visit. But all our daily medications, lice checks, hearing tests, general complaints, etc, were all dealt with by the school nurse.

I think I remember one kid having broken an arm or something in a similar incident, but their parents came and took them to the hospital. But, I grew up in the rural areas of Illinois and Indiana...so some of the schools were county, and the hospitals weren't necessarily anywhere near the school or homes of the kids.

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
I actually don't recall having a school nurse beyond "you need a bandaid... Here you go" and really not one at all in highschool amd they weren't really qualified for anything REALLY medical. Just who you saw if you needed tylenol

darkchild16

We are Home.
Connors school had one. She administered his Albuterol and anything else needed for his asthma. When he was on Vyvanse the nurse at his school gave it to him. I cant imagine a kid having a asthma attack and the school not having a nurse.

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
In HS when I had my attack and was eventually transferred to hospital no jurse attended to me. I just sat in the office while they boiled water for me to breathe in the steam until they eventually called the ambulance

darkchild16

We are Home.
In HS when I had my attack and was eventually transferred to hospital no jurse attended to me. I just sat in the office while they boiled water for me to breathe in the steam until they eventually called the ambulance
ummm yeah NO. especially when connor was having a couple attacks a week at first because he got it after he developed pnemonia.

-bogart-

Member of WHODAT Nation.
Yeah. Now in the highschools they have a medical center ran by the , well I think the state I am not sure. But they have a staff that with a doc and nurse but in order to use it the parent has to give insurance info or Medicaid info and sign hippa law forms and all that. It is a new program this last couple years.

Now for other kids with asthema and the like the kids parents sign medical forms for the school board and the inhalers or meds where given by a secretary , unless they where a narcotic of some kind then they had to have a nurse and be in certain schools. Totally frustrating dealing with the special ed department with the schoolboard requirements. The kicker is I have no alternative . I do not have the skills to teach him and the private schools special ed classes are nonexistant. So we all compromise .

For the most part it works due to the budget constraints I wish we could afford as a community more teachers to go around but that is another thread all together.

darkchild16

We are Home.
yeah Vyvanse is a narcotic I cant belive they would have to send him to a special school just for that. Those poor teachers with all those kids LOL. We took him off of it though so we didnt have issues

Miakoda

When Cole has had a seizure at school, they call me. If I called 911 every time he was having a seizure, I'd feel like I was abusing the system.

At his school, we have a very detailed seizure plan in place, and everyone who comes into contact with him knows his trigger (right now it's just lack of sleep/being fatigued) and Pre-seizure behaviors. They call me immediately even if they just think he's having one and don't know for sure.

Down here, you can arrive by ambulance all you want, but you'll get dumped in the ER alongside everyone else. When Carson had the skull fracture and major concussion, we arrived via ambulance....and we're deposited in the pediatric ER with all the ear infections and sniffles. It wasn't until I was voicing my complaints and he started vomiting everywhere with his eyes rolling back in his head (not a seizure) that we were pushed to the head of the line.

As for this school, Renee said exactly my first thoughts: they're damned if they do, damned if they don't.

And what is this school's policy? Did the parents choose to have them be called first? I know, at Cole's school, you dictate what order you want things done (although they say they will call 911 first in the event of an extreme emergency).

Oh, and Carson's EMS ambulance bill was $768. Not exactly chump change.

Miakoda

Sorry for the typos. I don't feel like editing. :p

Bogart, where are you again? You can pm me if you prefer. :)

-bogart-

Member of WHODAT Nation.
Yeah Caleb was stuck in a class with children learning way way below his level. Like some had some major physical and mental problems. Wonderful teachers and kids just he was not learning and needed more. But because of the severity and the med he was in kindergarten class of 5 and he was the only one whom could talk with 1 teacher and 1 aide. So when I found out he was just playing computer games all day it was powwow time to figure something out.

darkchild16

We are Home.
When Cole has had a seizure at school, they call me. If I called 911 every time he was having a seizure, I'd feel like I was abusing the system.

At his school, we have a very detailed seizure plan in place, and everyone who comes into contact with him knows his trigger (right now it's just lack of sleep/being fatigued) and Pre-seizure behaviors. They call me immediately even if they just think he's having one and don't know for sure.

Down here, you can arrive by ambulance all you want, but you'll get dumped in the ER alongside everyone else. When Carson had the skull fracture and major concussion, we arrived via ambulance....and we're deposited in the pediatric ER with all the ear infections and sniffles. It wasn't until I was voicing my complaints and he started vomiting everywhere with his eyes rolling back in his head (not a seizure) that we were pushed to the head of the line.

As for this school, Renee said exactly my first thoughts: they're damned if they do, damned if they don't.

And what is this school's policy? Did the parents choose to have them be called first? I know, at Cole's school, you dictate what order you want things done (although they say they will call 911 first in the event of an extreme emergency).

Oh, and Carson's EMS ambulance bill was $768. Not exactly chump change.
Here it gets you in immediatly. Morgan had a 104 degree fever and was listless and they made us wait until they opened another area up (15-20 minutes after already waiting about that long with a empty ER) to take him back. Another time we were sitting there when he had a fever that high and we didnt go back until he had a seizure in my arms. Brought in by ambulance even if its nothing "serious" you get front of the line.

-bogart-

Member of WHODAT Nation.
We have a seizure plan also . I am in Jefferson parish . River Ridge and the school board in this parish is a doozy sometimes. But. With calebs plan his doc would only budge on not having diastat on start of seizure is if i t lett an ambulance take him in ,due to his not stopping on there own. Otherwise the school would have to do the nurse shuffle and a year of that was enough .

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
When my son broke his arm skiing with boy scouts they brought him home to me at about 1 in the morning. He said he was too tired to care and I thought then surely he just hurt it, because he went to bed and if it was broken surely he woudln't be going to bed. THe one time I DIDNT take him immediately to the hospital just to make sure. It was broken, we were there first thing when he woke up. So maybe they didn't know either, Aaron's was broken 2 inches below the growth plate and it didn't look like you would think a broken arm would look. He spent the next 8 weeks with it strapped to his body because they don't put a cast on when it is that high up, the use your torso to splint it until it heals.

-bogart-

Member of WHODAT Nation.
Not here either . It goes by severity. I have busted in screaming for them to call the neuro on call and shooting off his vitals and them swarming to tend him. But i am a big girl running in pushing a seizing kid so yeah . I have waited in the waiting room for pnoumonia/chopped off finger tip/whoooping cough other things , but the do go by severity of injury .but now if Caleb is seizing we snatch him up and run. No ambulance needed. Again that is just because of his severity

Now how about routes taken to hospital. I was in the back watching him seize and the **** thing stops because of a train . We sit for 10 minutes and i agrue that we need to go a diffrent way but they kept saying company policy to follow the gps. Which took us out of the way and the train held us up.

Members online

No members online now.