foster parents

You guys are heroes. How do you do it? Don't you get attached to the dogs? Are you a bit sad when they find a permanent home?

Do you get any benefit from it other than the joy you get knowing you're helping a dog not get put to sleep? I mean, do you get any kind of tax write-off or anything?

Barb04

Super Moderator
A family near me does fostering. The rescue provides her with everything they need. All the foster family does is provide the love & shelter the dogs need until families are found. They actually have a 5 year old granddaughter who helps raise the puppies with them. They love them all but know they are going to good homes.

bubbatd

Same here as far as costs .....though I lowered some prices as my donation to rescue .

Jules

Magic, motherf@%$*#!
You guys are heroes. How do you do it? Don't you get attached to the dogs? Are you a bit sad when they find a permanent home?

Do you get any benefit from it other than the joy you get knowing you're helping a dog not get put to sleep? I mean, do you get any kind of tax write-off or anything?
We've just started fostering last year and took a break the last couple of months... because I got quite attached to our last foster. He was with us from about 8 weeks old until...hmmm 7 months I believe. He was a bit of work... and I think that made him special to me, if that makes sense.

No, we don't get benefits. Well... DH will be getting a volunteer medal from the Marines.. but that's it..LOL. But I just love helping out and finding a home for a dog that just needs another chance.

Lizmo

Water Junkie
I love fostering, but it's definitely work, time, and money. You also get attatched to them, I was very sad when our two fosters left (one more than the other, just because he was like "my" dog), but I had to keep remembering that they're going to a great home.

The biggest benefit for me is that I know I'm making one dog's life not as misserable as it could be. They are getting the love, attetion, exercise, and training they so desire. Not to mention health care.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
pepper should really be considered a foster. I really have no business keeping this dog i found. I feel badly because she has finally settled in and warmed to us developing a bond. AT the same time i never saw a dog that wanted to be outside more then she does and without a fence she is stuck to potty breaks and walks. I don't know how you people do it...develop bonds and then break them like that but i can sure understand. I just haven't brought myself to put her on petfinder yet.

joce

I could barely let the last puppy go:( She got along great with all my mutts and thats saying a lot:p But seeing her in her new home it felt good. And now we have her mom anyway so its not like I had time to mourn her or anything!

Its hard,especially right now when there are two dogs at the pound I would like to pull and I just don't have the room:(

And angel came into rescue in September-had her pups-and has been getting passed back and forth between me and my cousin since then. She has only had two calls in that whole time. She is a good dog and luckily she doesn't mind being passed around and loves all the dogs we have. But I still feel bad because she needs her home she can settle into. I feel worse about having a dog for months than about giving up one I like.
http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=9526812

BostonBanker

I've done some fostering for my friend's rescue, mostly short term (a couple of days) when she is getting full. I usually just feed them my own food then.

I did foster one dog long-term (two months or so?), and covered both food and vet care (kennel cough, fleas, worms). When the dog did get adopted, my friend just gave me the adoption fee since I had been the one caring for her. It basically evened out financially.

That one long-term dog was really hard to let go; it was before I got Meg, and I really considered keeping her for myself. But as much as I loved her, she wasn't the right dog for my lifestyle. It took getting Meg, and seeing how easily she fit in, to realize that. Luckily I had my friend to steer me in the right direction, or I would own a beagle/whippet mix!

I find if I don't go into a foster thinking that they are going to be a "keeper", I don't get too attached. It also helps that I almost always get to see updated photos and emails from their new homes, and can see how happy they are!

Tazwell

I love fostering. I wish I could do it forever. I've done about 20 dogs, and 4 cats, and It's so hard to let them go, but it's SO rewarding. Getting to know all of them, it's like getting a new dog every few weeks or so. They get so attached to you... But You really gotta love what you do, It's like training Puppy after Puppy after Puppy... For example, Bruno decided to eat all of my fish food last night...

The rescue will pay for vet care, food, and all of that, but I pay for the food and supplies, and the frontline and stuff like that. The only thing I don't pay for out of my own pocket is regular vet bills. I just feel so bad, when money is so tight...

The very hardest part about the whole thing for me, is DEFINITELY the part where you're constantly being called about this dog and that dog needing help, these people wanting to bring that dog back, or this person that has to get rid of their dog right NOW. You're always getting calls, it's so hard to turn them down, and you just don't know what to do sometimes.

For me, letting them go isn't so sad, really. It's worrying, about whether the family really will be right for them or not. It's very hard to see them so confused when you hand over the leash to someone else... :(

ihartgonzo

and Fozzie B!
Fostering really is a rewarding experience! The rescue I fostered for paid for Vet bills, and I paid for everything else. They offered to pay for food, but I preferred to just feed what Gonzo was eating. I had to bring the pup to a few adoption events at local Petsmarts/Petcos, and e-mail a few applicants that had been approved already. All that's really required of you is to show them some love, socialization, and housetrain them (if not already housetrained) and teach them basic commands.

I haven't fostered since before I adopted Fozzie... I might foster this summer, but the problem is, I can only foster specific dogs. They have to get along with Gonzo, which is a huge task all it's own. He's extraordinarily picky about dog friends, and I don't want to have to keep them seperated all the time, it just wouldn't be fair to Gonzy. Fozzie likes any living thing, so he isn't a concern at all.

mrose_s

BusterLove
I can't wait to foster. I think I'll tie up with a group that will help support me through it at first.
I will just have to keep it in mind, if I can rehome one dog, I can get another one out of the pound.

I'm so excited, thats also my plan for looking for my next dog, I will continue to foster until I find the one with the right drive and eprsonality so we just click.

chanda

i havent been a foster parent to any pets... if ever ill be i will definitely feel proud coz i was able to help a pet to have a home although not permanent but its a loving home that truly cares for them...

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
Wonder if you posted an ad at petfinder..that said doorbuster, digs to china, has 0 recall what would happen. But it would be the truth of dear pepperpot. Now that she zooms into bed and seems so happy to see her grandmother, it took her sooooo long to be happy. I don't know what to do. I should not keep this dog at all...i like the idea of visits first to get her use to the idea but that would take a very willing new forever home. I keep hoping someone will just fall in love with her but that hasn't happened yet either. PITBULL around here even part means not for anyone.:( Victor's taken a shine to her too and seems bored to tears when she isnt' around. I am a lousy foster mommy. I got attached sorta..he got attached more so.

I can't wait to take Maggie to visit her foster parents.. they really liked Maggie a lot and Maggie had dog-friends there which she doesn't have here yet. I think they'll be happy with her progress and stuff.

smkie, don't lose hope.. I'm sure you'll find a good home for her.

Whisper

Kaleidoscopic Eye
I haven't fostered for the shelter (yet, I plan on it), but I've fostered a Lab that was dumped out here and found him a great home with a family friend, who had lost his Dalmatian, Kirby, and was finally ready to get a new dog. He was named Repo by his new owner. :)
It was hard to let him go- I was very attached to him, but it's so rewarding every time I get to see him and how happy he is.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
I don't know how you all do it. I watch pepper and Vic and i think i can't break them up. IS it always this hard?

Members online

No members online now.