Why is my male Dachshund HOWLING at the door?

Toaster

I cant figure this out.... and its got me worried because of how he's acting.

I have a mini dox.. its a male, he's not fixed - he's got all his parts... He's small about 8 lbs, and 1 year old. The last 4 days now he's been HOWLING to go outside. Scratching at the door, howling, whimpering, just generally FREAKING out to get outside! Regardless of if we stay outside for 5 minutes or an hour... ITS NOT ENOUGH.. He wants out.

While he's outside he's a nervous wreck. He's sniffing all over the place, scratching the ground... he goes to one area in particular, but honestly he'll go anywhere. These "tantrums" to go outside are NOT bathroom related... He doesn't want to pee or poop.. he just wants outside. Now, for those who have never heard a hound howl, its cute the first few times - but not 24/7 for 4 days! :yikes:

I've been trying to house train this dog for 1 year now, and trust me - if I could get him to be this "vocal" about going outside to pee or poop... OH MAN! :hail: How great would that be!??? TRUST ME... This is NOT bathroom related whatsoever.

When we hold him, he's shaking - like he's cold... We live in North Texas... We're enjoying our 90 degree days here like CRAZY! We had a 100/102+ summer almost every day of summer! TRUST ME, ITS NOT COLD...I think its nervousness to get outside (like and addict). while we're watching tv, he'll go up and down to the door... come and jump all over one of us, whine, bark and even howl at us and then run back to the door - as if to say PLEASE TAKE ME OUT PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!....

Someone in the general dog forum said his Dox does this if there's something out there that the dog wants to get to, this is not the case here... No birds, no cats, no nothing really... I live in a normal zero property line community, with lots of neighbors... He just wants to explore EVERYONES yard when we walk... But guys (& gals) I can't explain enough how badly he's freaking out to get outside... I'M SERIOUS... EVERY SINGLE SECOND OF THE LAST 4 DAYS.

Nothing has changed for this dog in his life... Nothing... no diet change, no scratching himself or itching or anything like that.. no new additions to our house... The only change recently has been he's alone more because the kids are at school now, my wife and I have both been working late... but even if I come home at 12am - I make it a point to play with him for 30 minutes or longer (longer usually)... play fetch, wrestle with the hand a little bit, lay and watch some tv... whatever HE wants... (yeah, he trained us instead of us training him.. no doubt in my mind about that)

Is this something Dox's do? or hounds do? could it be the recent weather change? I'm MAJOR confused - and want to be certain nothing is physically wrong with him..... He's just freaking out to get outside ---- all the **** time! :(

HELP!

Red_ACD_for_me

Ruled by a RED boy!
Did you ever think that he SMELLS A FEMALE IN HEAT! :yikes: He is an UN-FIXED male afterall. An un-fixed male dog can smell a bitch in heat for about 3miles. Why haven't you neutered him? He would be a much more content dog to own especially if he is a pet and not a show dog ;)

Toaster

I had that feeling but didn't want to say it, I wanted someone else to say it :) Thats why I specifically noted he was male and unfixed, lived in a populated neighborhood.....

I asked around if I should neuter him, and everyone told me his behavior really doesn't change... the only health benefit is no chance of testicular cancer... he'll still be dominant, he'll still mark his territory, he'll still be aggressive... so I figured why bother? I'm a dude, and I wouldn't want anyone to cut off my nads! :yikes:

Brattina88

my first thought when I read this is there's a female in heat somewhere, and its driving him crazy ;) Horomones and stuff.

It's different for dogs than it is humans. Neutering won't automatically fix problems like aggression, being territorial, ect... But it will help the females in heat thing, among other things... ;)

Toaster

as sad as this sounds, I would LOVE for him to 'learn' how to alert us to go outside for a bathroom break like this!! MY GOODNESS..... If I can somehow teach him to howl like this to go outside to pee...:hail:

Red_ACD_for_me

Ruled by a RED boy!
Thats the problem you shouldn't compare you nads to your dogs LOL! I figured you were a guy LOL! If he is only a year old ther would be plenty of benefits to fixing him. He won't ever be housebroken if he is acting like this, he will probably start marking his territory in the house eventually. As he gets older he can get worse. Usually around two years of age. Males can get very frustrated and become aggressive when they smell a bitch in season. Especially if you live in a well populated area you really should have him fixed it is what is best for him not for you. It is a very simple procedure and can be done ASAP :D !

Toaster

my first thought when I read this is there's a female in heat somewhere, and its driving him crazy ;) Horomones and stuff.

Have you thought about the big snip? :p j/w

Like I said.. I asked around, and no one could tell me why I SHOULDN'T snip him... I guess now I've got the reason! :rolleyes:

I kept hearing, he'll be a better dog, he'll never get testicular cancer (DUH! Really!!!?) but he'll still want to mark territory, he'll still be aggressive, he'll still be EVERYTHING HE IS NOW - but "ball-less" so I figured, why?

Red_ACD_for_me

Ruled by a RED boy!
Like I said.. I asked around, and no one could tell me why I SHOULDN'T snip him... I guess now I've got the reason! :rolleyes:

I kept hearing, he'll be a better dog, he'll never get testicular cancer (DUH! Really!!!?) but he'll still want to mark territory, he'll still be aggressive, he'll still be EVERYTHING HE IS NOW - but "ball-less" so I figured, why?
WHY GET HIM FIXED? For exactly the same reasons you are stating he is being like already. Testosterone does not help that. And the older he gets the worse he can get.

Brattina88

It's different for dogs than it is humans. Neutering won't automatically fix behavior problems like aggression, being territorial, ect... Because those are learned and are considered a habit. But it will help the females in heat thing, among other things... ;)

Red_ACD_for_me

Ruled by a RED boy!
Come on though seriously :lol-sign: I have worked with dogs for 14 years and I have seen some very relaxed intact males and some very horny and ill-mannered ones. Sounds like you are going to have alot on your hands with this little guy ;) How old are your kids? Does he try to mount them? When you say he is already aggressive how so? Think of this to, if that dog ever gets out of the yard he is going to follow his nose and most likely end up getting hit by a car. Intact dogs have a higher chance of getting killed by cars because they wander after the smells of a female in season and there brains are'nt in there heads. I hope you consider fixing him because you will have a much better family pet and he will be more in tune to you than the bitch down the street ;)

Red_ACD_for_me

Ruled by a RED boy!
It's different for dogs than it is humans. Neutering won't automatically fix behavior problems like aggression, being territorial, ect... Because those are learned and are considered a habit. But it will help the females in heat thing, among other things... ;)
Remember though Brattina, he is only a year old so if it is done soon it may help alot more than we think ;) and now is better than later because the older he gets the more aggressive, ill-mannered, and unruly he may become :) .

There are really no reasonable arguements for leaving your weiner (dachshund) intact....hehe..get it...weiner..intact..:lol-sign:

Seriously though, can you imagine the frustration of being all hot and bothered with no outlet. You're not going to breed him....and the poor guy has no opposable thumbs.....best to snip him.

Toaster

Whats the procedure now since he's a year old? :( Is the recovery longer for him? are their any significant health risks involved with performing the surgery? etc....

My wife was ALL for it (the snip) and I said NO! --- She's here beside me right now hitting me as I type. :( and we read together....

I feel bad for him... I don't know how many of you have every been through this - what we're going through with him right now... But seriously, its like something you'd see on an HBO special or something--about drug addicts needing a fix or whatever.... I mean he's just going NUTZ (no phun intended) to get out that door....

Boemy

Recovery for males isn't that bad . . . The vet will probably put him on some pain medication afterwards. :) I really recommend it . . . It MIGHT not help with aggression, pee-marking, etc . . . but then again it might. One of my co-workers had two male chihuahuas who kept marking her chairs and after she got them neutered it stopped, even though they were over a year old. :)

It's too bad you didn't get it done earlier, though . . . My kitty-boys were snipped at eight weeks old and they were playing and running around the next day like nothing had happened!

Toaster

There are really no reasonable arguements for leaving your weiner (dachshund) intact....hehe..get it...weiner..intact..:lol-sign:

Seriously though, can you imagine the frustration of being all hot and bothered with no outlet. You're not going to breed him....and the poor guy has no opposable thumbs.....best to snip him.
OMG! I'm thankful I wasn't drinking anything when I read that!!!! :lol-sign:

Last one, then we're move on to serious land.

Red_ACD_for_me

Ruled by a RED boy!
Whats the procedure now since he's a year old? :( Is the recovery longer for him? are their any significant health risks involved with performing the surgery? etc....

My wife was ALL for it (the snip) and I said NO! --- She's here beside me right now hitting me as I type. :( and we read together....

I feel bad for him... I don't know how many of you have every been through this - what we're going through with him right now... But seriously, its like something you'd see on an HBO special or something--about drug addicts needing a fix or whatever.... I mean he's just going NUTZ (no phun intended) to get out that door....
He wil be fine, No need to worry. I know your dogs are like your kids and you don't like to see them hurting. I have had many dogs/cats spayed and neutered and they come out fine and good luck trying to keep them quiet after. They act like nothing even happened to them. I love when my vet tells me to keep my dog/cat quiet for a week or more. Yeah right! Jumping around playing just as they always do. Stogie will be fine and he is still very young so it won't phase him in the least. Have you talked to your vet about it?

OMG! I'm thankful I wasn't drinking anything when I read that!!!! Last one, then we're move on to serious land.

OMG...LMFAO:lol-sign: :lol-sign:

One of my little guys was taken from a nutcase breeder when he was 16 months old. I was in the OR during his surgery and I assure you, he too was packing.
You may want to squinch and grab yourself when you read this next bit but........it was so quick, just like shucking peas. A tiny incision, and pop..pop..it was all done. He was fully recoverd in no time and the only lasting effects were positive. No more marking or minor aggressive behaviors...but that's not always the case.
Anyway, it's really very minor and a very kind thing to do for your....weiner....dog.:lol-sign:

Brattina88

:lol-sign: the puns in this thread are cracking me up!!! :lol:

Just about every owner gets very worried, ect, before they take the dog to the appt... but once we get over it, we realize the dogs were over it a long time ago. I've never met anyone who regrets spaying or neutering their dog ;)

Members online