Is Hannah a midget?

Debi

sparks19 said:
OH FOR CRYING OUT LOUD she asked about her dog not to hear all your opinions on how bad puppy food is or how good puppy food is. She asked if she was feeding her enough and that is all she needed to know. She didn't need to know that you all have so many tens of years of experience and so on and so forth. she doesn't want to hear your petty grievences. if you people can not act like normal functioning members of society when replying to someone's post then DON'T post. I don't know if anyone else noticed but she has not made a reply in here since the second page. CAn't anyone ask a question without it turning into a brawl. It's a wonder anyone posts on this board. "I'm smarter than you are" "my dad is bigger than your dad" this is what you guys sound like. Sorry but GROW UP and get back to the original posters questions.

well, I hardly think it's a 'brawl'...no need to get so upset here. :) :)

Y

yuckaduck

Is Hannah a pure bred Lab or a mix? I thought she was a mix and maybe she is mixed with something smaller. She looks healthy in her pictures so I would not worry. You are a good mommy so I am positive you are feeding her enough and she is just fine.

Debi

yuckaduck said:
Is Hannah a pure bred Lab or a mix? I thought she was a mix and maybe she is mixed with something smaller. She looks healthy in her pictures so I would not worry.

She really is a beauty!! all of your dogs are! :)

Fran27

My advice on the subject - stick to what the bag says. If she seems too skinny, increase the dose, if she seems to put on weight too fast, decrease it. Keep in mind that treats count too, so if you feed a lot of them, take 10% off the dose.

I disagree with Manchesters about dogs eating only until they are full - or there wouldn't be so many obese dogs around! I asked in the food forum a while back about the dangers of overfeeding a pup, and the main one is that they will grow too fast. So, in my opinion, better feed a bit less than too much. And I will never free feed my dogs, because I *know* they would eat way too much.

In this case, I think that she is just indeed 'petite', 50lbs at this age is probably the norm, keeping in mind that males are often bigger than females, too. But as long as she's healthy, it's fine! Keeping her on an all lifestage diet is probably the best you can do for her anyway.

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
Debi said:
well, I hardly think it's a 'brawl'...no need to get so upset here. :) :)

hehe sorry its just frustrating :D

Anyway I don't think hannah looks too small or unhealthy at all from the pictures i can see of her. I have also heard that feeding them too much speeds up their growth and causes joint problems. Not just obesity but think about a young boy in highschool that shoots up 6 inches in one year. he's not overweight but I'll be he has knee problems BAD.

As far as over feeding, I agree with renee. Teddy will only eat what he feels like eating. Some days he doesn't eat both of his meals. Other dogs I know will gobble up anything you set in front of their face (food or not hehe ) They just have different personalities. i don't think it has anything to do with someones dog being a "savage" :rolleyes:

M

Manchesters

My, My

Adrienne said:
No offense but you know we don't agree about dog foods at all. If my dogs had food sprayed with rancid restaruant grease I am sure they wouldn't chow it all down right away either. They'd be to busy begging my food of me which they don't since they get something even better.

As for the fasting, at this point I choose not to since Gunnar isn't old enough to fast and I don't want to cheat my other babies out of a meal when he gets to eat (what can I say I spoil them) once Gunnar is old enough then they will fast.

Civilized they are, meal time is nice, Gunnar lies down to eat his food and the rest enjoy their food so much that they all rub their muzzles along the floor afterward. A sign of a meal enjoyed!
Ok......1st you can SMELL rancid fat in dog food. 2nd.....you don't know what you are talking about, since you don't know what the beasts are eating. 3rd....again you imply that your dogs have no manners. I have only one dog that begs food of me.....15 1/2 year old bat witted Mandy. And only when I have pizza. Then she stands with a foot on top of my foot so I will remember she is there. She is getting rickety, and may only last another several months, so I spoil her.

My dogs don't beg food from me. But as soon as they see or hear signs that I am nearing the end of my eating, they will all stand up and look at me expectantly. Then they go lay back down.

Oh, and wiping their mouthes on the floor is a sign of a dog cleaning the grease and stuff off their DIRTY mouthes. The Manchesters are very delicate eaters. They do not eat like slobs. The Whippets are the same way. They eat their food one piece at a time, like ladies.

And I should think all dog owners would agree that the food that is best for their particular dogs is whatever food that the dog thrives upon.

M

Manchesters

Obese Dogs?

Fran27 said:
My advice on the subject - stick to what the bag says. If she seems too skinny, increase the dose, if she seems to put on weight too fast, decrease it. Keep in mind that treats count too, so if you feed a lot of them, take 10% off the dose.

I disagree with Manchesters about dogs eating only until they are full - or there wouldn't be so many obese dogs around! I asked in the food forum a while back about the dangers of overfeeding a pup, and the main one is that they will grow too fast. So, in my opinion, better feed a bit less than too much. And I will never free feed my dogs, because I *know* they would eat way too much.

In this case, I think that she is just indeed 'petite', 50lbs at this age is probably the norm, keeping in mind that males are often bigger than females, too. But as long as she's healthy, it's fine! Keeping her on an all lifestage diet is probably the best you can do for her anyway.
I would really like to know how many of those obese dogs are free fed. I doubt any of them. Most are fed by overindulgent owners who never exercise their dogs. Of course there is always and exception......my dog Blaize (the one in the picture biting the Whippet's leg) was always fat. Turned out she was pre-diabetic.

M

Manchesters

Spoken Like

sparks19 said:
OH FOR CRYING OUT LOUD she asked about her dog not to hear all your opinions on how bad puppy food is or how good puppy food is. She asked if she was feeding her enough and that is all she needed to know. She didn't need to know that you all have so many tens of years of experience and so on and so forth. she doesn't want to hear your petty grievences. if you people can not act like normal functioning members of society when replying to someone's post then DON'T post. I don't know if anyone else noticed but she has not made a reply in here since the second page. CAn't anyone ask a question without it turning into a brawl. It's a wonder anyone posts on this board. "I'm smarter than you are" "my dad is bigger than your dad" this is what you guys sound like. Sorry but GROW UP and get back to the original posters questions.
One who doesn't have a clue.

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
Manchesters said:
One who doesn't have a clue.
Thats ok I would rather you think i don't have a clue than be perceived as being a bitter old which.

try being civil for once. and get back to the original post. enough of your bickering. no one wants to hear it

Adrienne

Manchesters said:
Ok......1st you can SMELL rancid fat in dog food. 2nd.....you don't know what you are talking about, since you don't know what the beasts are eating. 3rd....again you imply that your dogs have no manners. I have only one dog that begs food of me.....15 1/2 year old bat witted Mandy. And only when I have pizza. Then she stands with a foot on top of my foot so I will remember she is there. She is getting rickety, and may only last another several months, so I spoil her.

My dogs don't beg food from me. But as soon as they see or hear signs that I am nearing the end of my eating, they will all stand up and look at me expectantly. Then they go lay back down.

Oh, and wiping their mouthes on the floor is a sign of a dog cleaning the grease and stuff off their DIRTY mouthes. The Manchesters are very delicate eaters. They do not eat like slobs. The Whippets are the same way. They eat their food one piece at a time, like ladies.

And I should think all dog owners would agree that the food that is best for their particular dogs is whatever food that the dog thrives upon.
You feed Pedigree according to your website and a brawl we had before. Anyways...
"However according to a book by Goren Bergman, it is just a way to clean food particles off the lips but also signals that the dog is "contented, full, and undisturbed". This might develop into a "thanks-for-the-food ceremony" according to that author"

M

Manchesters

Adrienne said:
You feed Pedigree according to your website and a brawl we had before. Anyways...
"However according to a book by Goren Bergman, it is just a way to clean food particles off the lips but also signals that the dog is "contented, full, and undisturbed". This might develop into a "thanks-for-the-food ceremony" according to that author"
I am tickled you visited my website. Hope you got a kick out of it!!!

Ok, who is Goren Bergman?????? And just how does he/she know anything more about why dogs clean their mouths off?? They also do it on chairs, sofas, their owners, each other, etc. They can't wash their faces so they wipe them off on whatever is handy. Has nothing to do with state of mind---only state of dirty lips, rofl.

Oh.....I have been feeding the mutts Maximum Nutrition for a month now. I decided to give it a try and see if they did any better on it than on Pedigree. Old dogs can learn new tricks. Unfortunately, hasn't been any sign that this food is any better for them. But I will keep them on it for at least another two months.

Oh, I am sorry you consider a person such as myself being adament, and standing by what I post as brawling. I just consider it people standing by what they are firmly convinced about. Of course that might be due to the difference in our ages. ___I___ don't brawl. I am stubborn, and I have convictions, but I ain't no brawler.

M

Manchesters

And Again......

sparks19 said:
Thats ok I would rather you think i don't have a clue than be perceived as being a bitter old which.

try being civil for once. and get back to the original post. enough of your bickering. no one wants to hear it
You mean witch by any chance. You are clueless because you know nothing of the subject. How much of a food is fed depends on the quality of the food. A discussion of food quality if germaine to the subject. You are clueless, you are rude, and you stick you nose in even when you have nothing to add. And I have been very civil with you. You are just too dumb to realize that. OK???????? Now you have seen me being uncivil. So go play in the sandbox.

Y

yuckaduck

I think more than one person is out of line here. I really doubt that juliefurry intended for this name calling and down right nasty behaviour to take place. Those of you being nasty go to your kennels, shame on you. The rest is Hannah a midget is the question here?

Adrienne

Manchesters said:
I am tickled you visited my website. Hope you got a kick out of it!!!

Ok, who is Goren Bergman?????? And just how does he/she know anything more about why dogs clean their mouths off?? They also do it on chairs, sofas, their owners, each other, etc. They can't wash their faces so they wipe them off on whatever is handy. Has nothing to do with state of mind---only state of dirty lips, rofl.

Oh.....I have been feeding the mutts Maximum Nutrition for a month now. I decided to give it a try and see if they did any better on it than on Pedigree. Old dogs can learn new tricks. Unfortunately, hasn't been any sign that this food is any better for them. But I will keep them on it for at least another two months.

Oh, I am sorry you consider a person such as myself being adament, and standing by what I post as brawling. I just consider it people standing by what they are firmly convinced about. Of course that might be due to the difference in our ages. ___I___ don't brawl. I am stubborn, and I have convictions, but I ain't no brawler.
Personally I don't care what you think they are doing when they rub their muzzle after eating, I perfer to think that they are content. My APBT Jedi used to do it after a good play session, even though he hadn't eaten anything. He was just happy and it felt good to him.

I did enjoy your website, very cute and nicely done.

I have never heard of that food so I can't say boo about it. I just hope your dogs do well on it. I don't care to continue down the path of foods. I have done my research and come to my own conclusions and I am content with that. If anyone cares to know about good dog foods they know who to ask ;) .

You are also right, you aren't a brawler, you are more like an antagonist, not happy until you have browbeaten everyone within range who dares oppose your views. But hey that seems to be your nature and I don't have to like the way you voice your opinions. This forum is about helping people and that is what I will continue to do, in a graceful manner because that is MY nature.

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
yuckaduck said:
Is Hannah a pure bred Lab or a mix? I thought she was a mix and maybe she is mixed with something smaller. She looks healthy in her pictures so I would not worry. You are a good mommy so I am positive you are feeding her enough and she is just fine.
No, Hannah's a purebreed. She has papers. I saw the mom and pictures of the dad.

Y

yuckaduck

juliefurry said:
No, Hannah's a purebreed. She has papers. I saw the mom and pictures of the dad.
She is young though? She looks healthy to me and I guess the old saying don't fix what ain't broke comes to mind. If you are worried I believe you said she goes to be spayed on the 15th of this month so you could always ask your vet about her. I think your vet could give you better advice than anyone here and you won't have to wade through all the crap either.

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
Yeah, I'll make sure to ask him. It's just nowadays you see all these huge 110-115 lb labs and I figured maybe there was something wrong with hannah because people with labs are always like "oh my dog was like fifty pounds at six months" when I mention her age. Then her brothers and sisters are big as well. Her brothers and sisters are on Pedigree (I don't know what formula). I asked her breeder today what he fed them (since I was at my husband's work and he works with my husband). Oh well I guess it's good not having a HUGE dog, just worried she had something wrong with her is all.

M

Manchesters

Nope

Adrienne said:
Personally I don't care what you think they are doing when they rub their muzzle after eating, I perfer to think that they are content. My APBT Jedi used to do it after a good play session, even though he hadn't eaten anything. He was just happy and it felt good to him.

I did enjoy your website, very cute and nicely done.

I have never heard of that food so I can't say boo about it. I just hope your dogs do well on it. I don't care to continue down the path of foods. I have done my research and come to my own conclusions and I am content with that. If anyone cares to know about good dog foods they know who to ask ;) .

You are also right, you aren't a brawler, you are more like an antagonist, not happy until you have browbeaten everyone within range who dares oppose your views. But hey that seems to be your nature and I don't have to like the way you voice your opinions. This forum is about helping people and that is what I will continue to do, in a graceful manner because that is MY nature.
A protagonist, perhaps, lol. I do not browbeat......I present facts based upon hands on experience. That is all I ask of anyone else.....some facts, please. There is no arguing with facts honestly presented.

Maximum Nutrtion is made for and sold by Walmart. If you're in a Walmart you can get an idea of what is in the food.

I have been around dogs up close and personal for all the years I have been involved with dogs. I have always eaten with them, slept with them, watched TV with them---they have been attached to my side. I looked up Goren Bergman. Did not see anything that would qualify her as a dog "expert". Saw a lot about bees and hornets and their heating systems. Now I will definitely bow to his/her knowledge there, but I will stand up as far as anything to do with dogs.

You keep mentioning MY (meaning ME, Carole) OPINIONS. What I present here are NOT opinions. They are the results of observing dogs intimately for as long as I have. It is what the dogs do and how the dogs act. Now as far as food, there is some subjectivity involved there, since I do not have lab tests run on the dogs every month.

I certainly don't expect or want everyone to cowtow to MY OPINIONS. But it would be nice for some to investigate what I have presented as observed behavior. But then again, not very many are in the position to do so, since only time would make that possible.

You are the one who challenges every thing I say here, and it is annoying since you have no first hand experience to put forth as an alternative. Those times when you HAVE, I have acquiesed (sp). No arguing with personal, hands on experience, because that is based on FACTS. Many here are great at whipping out articles written by others---many of whom have little experience with breeding and raising dogs. As I said.....the ultimate proof of how good a food is is the condition of a pregnant b!tch during her gestation, the weight and condition of the whelps, and the condition of the b!tch and whelps during lactation. Now I don't recall any experts stepping forward to relate their personal observations???? Did I miss a few posts somewhere??? :cool:

M

Manchesters

Breed Standard

juliefurry said:
Yeah, I'll make sure to ask him. It's just nowadays you see all these huge 110-115 lb labs and I figured maybe there was something wrong with hannah because people with labs are always like "oh my dog was like fifty pounds at six months" when I mention her age. Then her brothers and sisters are big as well. Her brothers and sisters are on Pedigree (I don't know what formula). I asked her breeder today what he fed them (since I was at my husband's work and he works with my husband). Oh well I guess it's good not having a HUGE dog, just worried she had something wrong with her is all.
What does the breed standard say for height and weight for Labs?

Zoom

Twin 2.0
As yanked from the AKC website:

Size--The height at the withers for a dog is 22½ to 24½ inches; for a b*tch is 21½ to 23½ inches. Any variance greater than ½ inch above or below these heights is a disqualification. Approximate weight of dogs and bitches in working condition: dogs 65 to 80 pounds; bitches 55 to 70 pounds.

The minimum height ranges set forth in the paragraph above shall not apply to dogs or bitches under twelve months of age.

So there are some ginormous Labs out there today...

And I will say that it is possible to have obese puppies. There are two bulldog puppies that come in regularly that prove my point. I'm pretty sure these dogs weigh what they should at full maturity, but they're only 9 months old. They can barely walk well, let alone run and the male has an issue with throwing up if he tries to walk too soon after eating. And there's another dog, a female Golden (not a rescue), that eats anything in sight. We have to watch her when walking her through the kennel. I know she gets regular exercise, but if this dog was free fed, it would probably weigh twice as much as it does. She's food obessed.

Members online

No members online now.