Digesting food how long does it take....

mctraill

My poor dog is sick and not very happy with herself at the moment. Yesterday she started bringing her food back up 6 or 7 hours after eating it.

I was wondering how long does it take for a dog to digest its food, I thought after 6 or 7 hours it would have passed through her system?

I am waiting for the vet to open so I can take her down there to be checked out, apart from her being sick she is fine, her nose is cold and wet and she is still running around the garden and wanting to go for a walk.

mctraill

Hope all is well....poor pup !
Thanks for asking, she cant keep anything down, vet says to just feed her plain boiled rice and chicken, 4 small meals through out the day and encourage her to drink.

lets see what the weekend brings.

mctraill

Is there any chance this dog has an intestinal block?????????
We thought about that after reading some info on here, the vet didnt seem to think so but then she didnt examine the dog either.

She is pretty Ok otherwise, running around and playing not sure what other signs she would show if she had, anyone tell me?

SarahFish

Well I know that with humans, if they aren't feeling well, but have eaten, the body simply won't digest it, and it'll just sit in the stomach.
So normally it would have been digested pretty quick, and be will into the intestine etc, considering a dogs digestive system, being simpler than a humans and a humans being out of the stomach in 2 hours.

mctraill

Update on my pooch

My poor dog was really sick Thurs and Friday so we starved her for 24 hours and started feeding her again on Sunday, I am happy to report that she is keeping her food down and looking much better.

Members online

No members online now.