Girly Stuff

I'm still doing OCM. It's going well. I still break out, but it does seem like the pimples don't get as painful as they were before. Of course, its that time of the month, so I expected a few pimples. Nothing more than the ordinary and possibly less.

Some nights I use a mixture of castor oil + sunflower oil, and some nights I use just coconut oil depending on how my skin feels. If I feel dry I use the coconut, and I might even slather a tiny bit on before I do my makeup if my skin feels tight.

I also sometimes get in the shower with the oil on and then towel it off when I get out. I don't find this method takes me any longer than before. Sometimes I even OCM twice a day, just depending on whatever. I wear makeup every day, except maybe on my days off if I don't have anything to do. I wear foundation (tinted sinscreen), powder, and eye makeup (mascara, eyeliner, and eyeshadow).

Of course, now that I want to stick with it I'm having a hard time avoiding the natural store and buying ALL THE OILS! I have a pretty decent size bottle of castor oil, and a large bottle of sunflower oil, and basically a vat of coconut oil. I always go overboard. The only thing that's keeping me right now is the fact that I have zero $$$.

OH! and last time I checked Target carries HUGE bottles of castor oil for like $3-4.

Last edited:

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
I definitely didn't like the olive oil, I don't think many people have success with it. Right now I'm trying grapeseed oil + castor oil just for shiggles, it's not doing a darn thing and I don't expect it to haha.

Careful with tea tree oil, definitely only a few drops! It can be super drying. I used a tea tree oil face wash years ago and it broke me out something horrible. But I think it was just way too much and way too intense because I was using both a TTO cleanser AND TTO toner and I'm almost positive I had a TTO moisturizer too. Curse the lady at The Body Shop who gleefully told me it would be the BEST THING EVER. I got my money back on that stuff. >=|
Yeah its literally just a couple drops I threw in there. But I always moisturize with coconut oil afterwards anyway :) So far its working fabulous.

I could not find castor oil anywhere at Target? That was my first place I looked and sadly came up empty handed.

~Dixie's_Mom~

♥Chloe & Violet♥
My hair doesn't smell like vinegar. It does while wet, but not when dry. I do ACV, oil, light shampoo, then conditioner on ends.

My shampoo is Aveeno Naturals, I think. Whatever their sulfate-free one is. Conditioner is John Freida.
So RedHotDobe, you do vinegar, THEN shampoo? Does the shampoo cancel out the conditioning quality of the ACV? I've always been under the impression that you have to condition AFTER washing. What oil are you using? I was thinking of:

ACV, then sulfate free shampoo, then put coconut oil on the ends when I get out of the shower. Would that work?

~Dixie's_Mom~

♥Chloe & Violet♥
Also, does anyone have problems with tangles in their hair with the no-poo? My sister has tried it two days in a row and has had bad tangles. The first day she did sulfate free shampoo + ACV and today she did baking soda + ACV.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
Conditioner should be your solution to tangles. I haven't shampooed my hair in months and my hair is more tangle-free now than its been my whole life! I really go crazy with conditioner.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
Hmm I guess I've always seen ACV used as more of a final rinse, after the hair has been washed/conditioned. And not used every day. I know some people use it in place of conditioner but eh... if that's not working I'd throw conditioner back in, you'll still get the benefits of the ACV.

I suppose a lot of it too might depend on hair type, I really can't imagine being able to get a comb through my hair if I didn't drown it in conditioner lol.

~Dixie's_Mom~

♥Chloe & Violet♥
Okay, I didn't know you could do that! Should it be sulfate free conditioner or does conditioner even have sulfates? That should help a LOT because I woke up and my hair felt like straw! My ends are damaged but evenso my hair has never felt this bad!

ETA: anyone tried these methods (lemon juice mixed with conditioner, etc)?

http://m.wikihow.com/Wash-Your-Hair-Without-Shampoo

Anyone think this could hurt to try? Lemon juice and conditioner couldn't hurt could it? But do you put it at the roots? I don't normally condition the top of my head because I have oily hair. Maybe the lemon juice helps that?

Last edited:

Zoom

Twin 2.0
The no-poo method basically detoxes your hair, so it will be bringing up LAYERS of gunk that has built up. You will probably want to set fire to your hair for awhile, hence why everyone recommends braids, hats and bandanas for the first while. Once all that stuff gets stripped out, you'll love the results!

Do play around with the amounts and don't be afraid to try different methods. For me, sometimes I have good results with ACV, other times I'll brew a wash of black tea and use that instead. I seem to need to use a little more baking soda since I work where there is a ton of rubber and asphalt particles floating around that get stuck to my hair. I actually had to go back to shampooing every so often with a chelating shampoo (Kenra) with baking soda mixed in to strip all that crap out.

I tried the castor oil/grapeseed oil mix the other night...I think it was too drying? Or I was too vigorous when I wiped off the excess. I ended up having to use my normal moisturizer that night too.

~Dixie's_Mom~

♥Chloe & Violet♥
Do you use the tea as a shampoo/conditioner/both?

Do you (or does anyone) have a link to all the different methods? ACV is the only one I'd heard of and it was because of this thread! I'd seen people saying "no poo" but I assumed that just meant organic shampoos and conditioners (didn't realize poo was short for shampoo!!! Lol!) and never looked into it. I'm very interested in all this now and am up for trying different methods!

RedHotDobe

aka RedHotBabe
So RedHotDobe, you do vinegar, THEN shampoo? Does the shampoo cancel out the conditioning quality of the ACV? I've always been under the impression that you have to condition AFTER washing. What oil are you using? I was thinking of:

ACV, then sulfate free shampoo, then put coconut oil on the ends when I get out of the shower. Would that work?
Yup, I shampoo after letting the ACV sit on my hair. That's what I've found works best for me. I also put my oil on before shampooing because my hair is just too heavy and disgusting otherwise. I alternate between grapeseed and olive oil, though I find that the olive works a bit better.

Note: I'm not following any sort of method. I just kept trying random things until I liked how my hair felt. :p

HayleyMarie

Like a bat outa' hell
*Cries* I went to bed last night with the window open and there was campfire smoke coming in through the window, I knew I should have shut the window because I am paying for it this morning. My eczema has decided to re enter my life and its so painful.

I just hope it goes away by next Saturday as its my cousins wedding. Right now my face looks like an oily mess because I am slathering the eczema cream on like crazy. I don't remember the eczema ever being this bad on my face before *Cries some more*

milos_mommy

That makes you the first and only person I know who loves Proactive.

Of course that's because I don't know Katy Perry.
I laughed really hard at this. I know a ton of people who tried proactive, and it either did nothing, or in most cases, made their acne worse.

I'd be curious if it works for you in the long run, Nolu...I think it might appear to work quickly because it takes the redness and dries up excess fluid around zits, but in my friends' experiences (and from what I know about skin), it's unlikely to prevent breakouts.

noludoru

Bored Now.
That makes you the first and only person I know who loves Proactive.

Of course that's because I don't know Katy Perry.
I LOLed so hard there.

I laughed really hard at this. I know a ton of people who tried proactive, and it either did nothing, or in most cases, made their acne worse.

I'd be curious if it works for you in the long run, Nolu...I think it might appear to work quickly because it takes the redness and dries up excess fluid around zits, but in my friends' experiences (and from what I know about skin), it's unlikely to prevent breakouts.
The ex used it and it works so well for him. I borrowed it and my horrific acne went away. Despite steam treatments and oil massages I haven't managed to get the blackheads out. Sigh.

I'm going to go buy some proactive and see if it works long term for me. It did for him and his face was awesome when he used it 1x a day. I feel comfortable wearing no makeup for the first time in weeks.

milos_mommy

Ok, here's a real "girly" question.

Does anyone get a bikini (or any other kind of down-there) wax? Please share any experiences you may have had.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
Ok, here's a real "girly" question.

Does anyone get a bikini (or any other kind of down-there) wax? Please share any experiences you may have had.
I get Brazilians. Which basically means, everything goes. I mean like leg over your head kind of EVERYTHING GOES LOL some people leave a strip in the front.. I just go all bare.

Experiences? There are good and bad waxers, use yelp and reviews of others..
My first brazilian was..well..OUCH!! LOL it's a sensitive area, it hurts like hell.
I have gotten used to waxing over all, it still hurts but now I don't cry lol I know what to expect.

Typically the perfect results like 4-6 weeks.

Worst part is that for your first time, you've gotta grow it out to wax it off. Which sucks.
These days after quite a few the hair grows thinner and sparser so even between waxing things aren't that bad. Which is AWESOME.

Personally? I love it. I mean, it can be expensive but I HATE shaving! No more razor bumps, no more shaving every other day, no more thick hair, no worrying about it on vacation..

Tell the waxer it's your first time, and make sure to find a place where you feel comfortable.
I take an aspirin before I go in.

I've also been told by third parties that waxing creates an umm..smoother..finish lol

My favorite waxing person is no-nonsense. I just grit my teeth and she is SO FAST but does such a great job. It's not awkward at all because she is just so blunt about it.

My first time I sobbed the whole time and wanted to stop :rofl1:the person doing it kept talking to me "are you ok?" "are you sure you're ok"
and I was just like "**** JUST DO IT!! AHH!!" :rofl1:

Members online

No members online now.