Are you bothered by vocal dogs?

Michiyo-Fir

I don't like very vocal dogs. The sound scares me and makes me jump. To me, from the dogs I've had, they bark only when there's something wrong or worrisome. I can't get over the fact that if a dog keeps barking, I feel like something's wrong.

It just bothers me, not so much if a dog's playing but just yap yap yap yap irritates me.

Kat09Tails

*Now with Snark*
Bodie and Vinnie are yapsticks. It does bother me and I do consider it a potential temperament problem. It is however - slowly getting better but it would be impossible to make them not yappers. It's who they are - it's just not a trait I like.

That said I really like all the other little expressive noises my dogs make.

Doberluv

I'm kind of a nervous person to begin with and have a low tolerance for a lot of any kind of noise. A little barking I can tolerate, but if it's too much, too loud or goes on and on, it makes me nervous.

puppydog

Tru evil has no pantyline
Lilly's nickname is Silent Dog. So you can imagine the adjustment I had to make with 2 shrill, screaming, whining Papillons.

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
Knox (surprise surprise) is generally a quiet dog. Which is strange for a GSD. He does have a wide range of groans grumbles and moans, but he doesn't whine and he doesn't bark often. He actually only barks for his tug or ball and so far only on command. He did scream (and I mean scream) in the crate, but he generally reserves that for me when I let him out of the crate now. And I don't mind that because he shuts up when I tell him to.

Enzo is a silent dog. She barks, tops, once a month. If that.

Ozzy on the other hand will bark just to hear himself bark. And he's got that jrt high pitched machine gun bark with all the pleasantness of nails on a chalk board and the rhythm of a marching band. And he can bark for ages. And he barks all the time at NOTHING. Its one of the reasons that I'd like to strangle him most days. It sets me on edge and pushes me so far over threshold I can't stand it. And he has to have the last word. Ugh. Just thinking about how obnoxious he is makes me angry. And he's the only one that demand barks. NO SIR.

He will demand bark for toys, for food for the chuckit, ect. He's gotten better with that because I've quit simply waiting him out to throw it, I just go back inside and ignore him for a little bit. Now he'll bark once and I can put it down and he'll realize what he did, but thats just it, he doesn't realize he's barking I think. Jerk dog. Ugh.

Saeleofu

Barking annoys me. I can stand it to some extent, but not for long periods of time. Whining is meh, and "talking" is fine. Gavroche has turned out to be quite the talker (he used to be silent), but it's freaking adorable. It's the growly mumbly cute noise he does when he gets hungry lol <3

I will not tolerate barking in the car or barking on leash. Absolutely not. This is why I refuse to take my parents' GSD anywhere, he barks NON-STOP in the car >.<

Catsi

I've learned to live with a certain amount of barking (Abby is vocal) but I do try to keep it at a minimum for my neighbours' sake. I find that she is less likely to bark when tired (preferably exhausted lol) and well exercised, so I make that a priority as well as training to keep her mind satisfied. Despite this she still is, and always will be, a dog that barks. I am considering a pap or toy poodle for my next dog well aware that they can be vocal. Abby has paved the way for my adoration of lively, intelligent little dogs and the fact that I haven't murdered her yet indicates that I can handle a bit of noise in a dog.

I will admit that she doesn't demand bark at me, but she will let it known when she wants to go in or out by low 'gruffing.' She will gruff when excited in play, but rarely barks unless she is playing with Grace.

Whining is one thing I do find very grating. My grandmother's old kelpie/GSD (RIP) was an absolutely wonderful dog, but the whining.... oh my God.

What breeds are known to be whiners or is this more of an individual dog thing?

I have to vocal breeds. That said, yes it can drive me nuts. Blaze does the whin in the car sooo annoying. we do ALOT of 3ish hour (one way) drives all summer long. So it is annoying lol.

But neither are to noisey other wise. unless playng with each other, a bark here and a howl there is fine by me.
excessive barking/howling can and will eventually drive me nuts. Take blaze to a lake, pond, gravel pit any where there is rocks. and he barks. the-whole-freaking-time. at rocks. I eventually have to leash him up as its annoying. Ive tried ignoring him, correcting him to many ways. But all he wants to do is bark at rocks and bring them to me lol

Taqroy

It depends. Tipper is what I consider the top of my range and she took a LOT of adjusting to. She's the only one of my three that demand barks on a regular basis and that's after a year of us no longer giving into it. She likes to tell me when I'm doing stuff RONG and most of the time I just laugh at her. Or I end up feeling bad because she has no idea what I want her to do so she defaults to frustration barking.

Barking (especially if they'll stop when I tell them to) doesn't bother me near as much as whining/screaming. OMG noisy prolonged whining makes me crazy.

Max (my parent's Airedale) talks when he's sad. If you're restraining him and he's tired he'll start saying "Naaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr" and if you squish his sides he goes up and down in pitch. I think it's the most hilarious thing EVER, my parents, not so much. LOL

AgilityPup

Agility freak!
It doesn't really bother me, but I hate being barked AT. Psyche will run outside, turn around, look right at me, and bark, and that annoys me... but if she's running and playing with the other dogs, barking, I don't care at all. Does this make me crazy? lol

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
I used to not care so much until I started working at a dog daycare/boarding facility. We have quite a few dogs that literally bark NON STOP!!! We have a poodle that comes in for daycare that will bark from the moment she is dropped off till the moment she is picked up. There have been so many days where I contemplate ripping her vocal cords from her throat lol. I already can't stand that dog... Her constant sharp barking makes me hate her that much more. I've literally wanted to up and quit at times when she is there just because I can't take it anymore.

I can't stand barky dogs. Barking a little in play is fine. Alert barking is fine to a degree. Whining is not ok. Bamm whines a ton and it drives me nuts. If you tell him to stop he just whines a little quieter which is just as annoying because quieter whining sounds like a constant whistling noise. Cricket alert barks to most noises she hears outside our apartment. We have to yell at her a lot to stop. She can be a quiet dog for the most part but she has a wide range of vocabulary and makes all sorts of odd noises when she wants to talk. That I don't mind at all and kind if find adorable at times.

HayleyMarie

Like a bat outa' hell
ha ha Having terriers barking does not really bother me much. Im kinnda used to it since I've grown up with maniac barking terriers.

But I think its somthing the dogs needs to learn when I say "enough" it means the end of barking. Which i've been training Teagan to do and it works most of the time, unless she is having one of her dramatic barking freak outs, then there is not way to stop the beast.

Teagan is also very vocal ouside of barking. She is always making some kind of sound, which I actually enjoy. I like having conversations with my dog.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
I used to not care so much until I started working at a dog daycare/boarding facility. We have quite a few dogs that literally bark NON STOP!!! We have a poodle that comes in for daycare that will bark from the moment she is dropped off till the moment she is picked up. There have been so many days where I contemplate ripping her vocal cords from her throat lol. I already can't stand that dog... Her constant sharp barking makes me hate her that much more. I've literally wanted to up and quit at times when she is there just because I can't take it anymore.
We had a Labradoodle at the daycare I worked at that spent half the day in "time out" because ALL he did was bark. OMG, high pitched barking that drove me INSANE! At least he learned that whenever the time out door opened it was for him and he'd gladly put himself into time out :rofl1:

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
I've often wondered if it would be considered cruel to equip boarding kennels with noise sensors, and if the dog barks for longer than two minutes while in the kennel they just start getting zapped through the floor. :p

B

Blue_Dog

High pitched barking does bother me, maybe if I lived with a small dog for awhile I could get over it. But excessive shrill barking is just too much for me right now. Other than that, 'talking' and such does not bother me. Blue used to talk all the time and Sam whines when he's nervous, really excited, impatient, or if he wants something really bad. Usually talking to him will get him to stop and he doesn't do it as often now.

ACooper

Absolutely. Bark if there's a good reason, otherwise, shut your pie hole.

We live in town, there is ALWAYS going to be neighbors, cars, other dogs, cats, birds, squirrels, city workers, etc coming and going at all hours. Get used to it. My dogs learn from day one here, you can stare menacingly out the window and try to blow them up with your brain..........but NO BARKING unless they are actually on OUR property. Period. It's actually funny to watch Orson watching someone else walk their dog. He stares out the window and as soon as they get to "our" sidewalk, Orson carries on and barks at them...........once they are passed our house, he shuts it and stares at them with death rays, ROFL

There is a little dog (poodle mix?) across the street..........OMG that thing never shuts up, and it's a high pitched bark *shivers* I don't know how it has an intact throat left! I do hear various other neighbor dogs whether inside their house or backyard who bark over every little thing........it is annoying, and I can only imagine how annoying it would be to live with them.

I am very proud to say more than one of my neighbors have told me they would never know I had dogs if they didn't see them with their own eyes. I take that as a compliment :)

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
Drives me nuts. Which makes me wonder why we have a thing for hounds lol. Our dogs are barkers and it drives me CRAZY. Hannah hates it too.

Beezers bark is especially bad. it's high pitched and he barks all the time at NOTHING. If we are running around the house with Hannah... BARK BARK BARK. let him outside... BARK BARK BARK. he might see a shadow or his reflection in the sliding glass door... BARK BARK BARK.

OMG SHUT UP!!!!!!!! lol

Cheetah

Fluffy Corgi Addict
I don't tolerate barking for no reason. That kind of thing drives me up the wall. Unless there is somebody at the door (and even then, they need to quiet when I tell them to after a couple barks) or they are outside playing (indoor playing needs to be quiet - there are people trying to sleep sometimes! Inside voice! Play-growling doesn't count) or I ask them to "speak," I require them to be pretty quiet.

Also, whining in the car drives me up the wall. Eevee does it sometimes and I tell her to shush.
Bamm whines a ton and it drives me nuts. If you tell him to stop he just whines a little quieter which is just as annoying because quieter whining sounds like a constant whistling noise.
OMG yes. This is what Eevee does. It's like the dog version of a little kid holding a finger an inch from my face and going "I'm not touching you... I'm not touching youuuuu..." DX

Honestly, I guess, barking doesn't bother me that much; but what bothers me is that barking bothers other people. ;)
Also this.

I have to add though, that other peoples' dogs being vocal doesn't really bother me (unless it's in my house at 4 in the morning and I'm trying to sleep). That's their thing to deal with, and I'm not gonna whine about it. =P

ACooper

Oh yes, Cheetah mentioned something else that is a MUST here.

If there is company, someone at the door, or any reason.........once I say "QUIET" That means "I've got this, thanks for the warning but now stop the noise" if Orson doesn't cease and desist, you can betcha he's going for a time out ;)

Members online

No members online now.