What all does full bloodwork involve?

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Auggie had full blood work done before his bladder surgery last fall. I of course wanted it done before he was put under for anything, and being that he is six it's now a good idea to have that all as my baseline, anyway.

More specifically, do they look at thyroid stuff when they do "full blood work?" Some of Auggie's behaviour has been changing recently and I'm wondering if there's something going on with his thyroid as he's getting older. So would they have already pulled that stuff and checked it out, or do I need to make him an appointment to have it done now instead?
I don't want to pass it off as "oh he's just getting older" if there's something else going on.

SaraB

At our clinic full bloodwork generally checks liver and kidney values, blood glucose levels and a CBC. Thyroid (T4) is added on if needed.

Saeleofu

Usually not. Our senior bloodwork is kidney/liver enzymes, lipase, glucose, electrolytes, and a CBC. We often do a T4 on senior cats, but not on dogs. You can always call the clinic that did the bloodwork and ask if they did a T4.

It wouldn't hurt to do a screening T4. If it comes back low, or if it's normal and he continues to act strange, do a full thyroid panel.

Members online

No members online now.