Does this breed exist??

Bodi's Mom

Hylen's Bodacious Big Boy
Our family definitely wants to add another dog to our family. I am open to any furry soul, purebred or mutt. My husband on the other hand has a list and another Berner does not comply. Here's the "list":

1. Medium to Large size
2. Non-Drooler
3. Not clingy or needy
4. Non Barker, No Howling
5. No fence jumpers (4ft.)
6. No guard dog instinct - must be very friendly
7. Great with children, other dogs and cats.
8. Medium to low energy (to match Bodi's temperment)
9. Short or Long hair - doesn't matter.

Is there such a breed out there for us??

when I was a kid, we had a lab/rot mix. He got to be kinda on the big size, much large than a lab usually gets. He was very friendly, never drooled, was great with other animals, never jumped walls or fences and when he had to much energy, he would chase bee's around the back yard, lol.

It might just be that we lucked out with him in particular thought. But some food for thought

noludoru

Bored Now.
Lab or a Golden might do - I would forget the fence jumping requirement and the no barking one, though, that depends solely on the dog and its training.

BostonBanker

I bet if you went to a good all-breed rescue and gave them that list, they could do a great job of finding you what you are looking for. There are a whole lot of dogs out there that would fit all your requirements perfectly!

Amstaffer

Female Amstaff from a rescue who is about 6 years old.

Athena fits your requirements....and has for about the last 6 years.

lizzybeth727

1. Medium to Large size Easy to find.
2. Non-Drooler Also easy
3. Not clingy or needy Look for an independent dog - one who comes to check you out for a minute or so, and then goes to see what else there is to do.
4. Non Barker, No Howling The only dogs that I would suggest if you want a dog who does not bark would be sighthounds - particularly greyhounds. Basically all dogs will bark. Some bark more than others, and really about the only way to know if a dog will be a "big barker" would be to get a dog from someone who's had the dog in a home for a few weeks to really evaluate if the dog barks a lot.
5. No fence jumpers (4ft.) Again, this comes down to training. Some dogs don't care about climbing and will never figure out that they can get over the fence.... Other dogs do. It's more an individual thing than a breed thing. I'd never suggest leaving a dog in the yard unattended without a tether, particularly a new dog (as in, you've had him for less than a year).
6. No guard dog instinct - must be very friendly There are certain breeds that are known to be guard breeds, and other breeds that are known to be friendly to all people. But even then it depends a lot on individual dogs.
7. Great with children, other dogs and cats. The cat thing rules out most sighthounds, but it's still possible to get one from a rescue group that doesn't chase cats.
8. Medium to low energy (to match Bodi's temperment) This means you don't want a puppy. I'd suggest not getting a dog under about 2 years old.
9. Short or Long hair - doesn't matter. Good.

Yup !!! A Golden or Golden mix !!
^^^ My thought exactly! A few Goldens can be a bit clingy/needy ... have heard that, but none I have ever known personally. My own Golden loved affection but wasn't clingy or needy, those belonging to friends and relatives the same. Some, if not raised properly, can be a bit high energy ... but Goldens have a peculiarity with that. They tend to be high energy while outdoors but couch potatoes while indoors. Everything else on the list checks out without a hitch.

But with requirements that specific it's probably best to go with an adult rescue ... that way you know the adult temperament. Agree with Amstaffer that an all-breed rescue is probably best as well ... they have the widest selection for people with long lists of requirements.

The golden or a sighthound sounds like a fit. :)

I adore goldens, if I wasen't afther a small breed I problably try to get a cream one. ;)

Bodi's Mom

Hylen's Bodacious Big Boy
Thanks everyone for all your input. I would be in heaven if I could rescue a Greyhound - my only concern is the slightness of the Greyhound vs. my big Berner's frame. Bodi plays very respectfully with all dogs, however, graceful he is not. A Berner colliding with a Greyhound may lead to an injury....to the Greyhound.

As for Goldens, LOVE them! I thought however, that they were a little on the clingy side. The size, temperment and bone structure is a great match though. I will definitely look into an older rescue.

....and Leo's are awesomely gorgeous. They remind me a lot of Berners. Leo's I thought are very wary of strangers and protective of their family - is that true?? ...and don't they drool??

Amstaff's and other similar breeds unfortunately are prohibited in my township - UGHHHH! Pitties, Bullies etc. are probably my second favorite breeds. I truly adore American Bulldogs.

Members online

No members online now.