Colt bit the groomer today!!!!

He broke the skin, not a puncture. She didn't seem too upset but I am. She was cutting his nails - no warning or anything. Maybe she hurt him because usually Colt will mouth you or bite softly if he doesn't like what you are doing, like a warning to say "get off me". I touch his feet all the time but he is usually relaxed or I wipe them after coming in the house if they are wet or dirty. The groomer said it is different there, lots of anxiety - strange people, sounds, dogs crying and barking, etc. Colt is pretty skiddish even though we take him just about everywhere in an effort to overcome this. He goes to the groomer every month.

Should I be upset? How do I handle this?

(I wasn't sure where to post this as it falls under "grooming", "training", etc. I put it here because I have had so much valuable input.)

skyeboxer

How was it handled at the time it happened? Did she cut the quick so he was reacting to pain? The groomer sounds cool about it and she is right about Colt having his nails done or feet handled by a stranger in a groomers being a lot different from you doing it at home.

Do you cut his nails yourself sometimes? Does anyone else in your household handle him all over on a regular basis, feet, nails, ears, tail?

Maybe you could extend his comfort zone a bit by asking others he knows and trusts to do these things. Then a little further by asking aquaintences to do the same all under your supervision.

I'm not a trainer but maybe he was scared, maybe she caught the quick or maybe he's cool with you handling his feet but not ready for strangers to do it.

I'm not really sure how she handled it - I was so upset I didn't think to ask. My instincts are he was reacting to pain.

I have never cut his nails myself but I do touch his feet. To tell you the truth, his nails looked funny to me, like split or something when I looked at them. I'm not sure if there is a way to tell if she cut the quick or not. I also think she cut the hair in between his toes for the first time today so this may have freaked him out a little too.

I think he was scared too, like I said, he is a skiddish pup when it comes to having new things done by strange people. Really, what dog isn't?

It sounds like you think this is nothing to worry about and he may have bit her as a reaction to pain or fear which is normal.

Dogs do have bad days but sadly often never given a chance to explain since they dont have the ability like we do and say LOOK bad day..

She can either have you hold him if you can while she does it or she can muzzle him just for the nails...

Dana1384

You could learn how to cut her nails yourself.. Have the groomer show you.. If they are clear nails you can see the vein, and just cut enough off so she is not clicking when she walks. I have been cutting my goldens nails since she was a puppy, now she just falls over, and acts like she is dead when i do it. It's funny because when i say all done , she comes back from the dead and runs the house crazy. I have done my new puppy's nails once, but his nails are black, so i just snipped the tips off and filed them. Good luck.. Just don't get close to the thicker part of the nail.

I think what I'm going to do is stay with him just for the nails part next time. If that doesn't work then I will probably try myself but his nails are black now (they were clear when he was smaller, but not now) so I'm anxious about doing it myself. I'll learn though because I can't have him biting the groomer for her sake as well as his!! Thanks for your suggestions.....

skyeboxer

It sounds like you think this is nothing to worry about and he may have bit her as a reaction to pain or fear which is normal.
No, I don't really know at all. I just wondered how comfortable Colt is having other people handle him, touch his feet, cut his nails.

In this instance seems what's done is done. The groomer didn't seem upset which might indicate she knew she'd cut too close. But I don't know. I wasn't there. And neither were you. I don't think this isolated incident in a strange situation having his nails cuts by somebody he probably doesn't know is a sign that he is a bad dog.

What you can do about it is maybe get him used to you clipping his nails, even tiny shavings each time, other people handling his feet, touching his tail, his bits, you know.

Your boy was maybe a little out of his depth, scared and stressed. You asked what you could do and all I can say in my opinion, as a dog owner, is try to make him more comfortable in situations that may be wierd to him by exposing him to approximations as gently and slowly as you can.

Love That Collie

Owned by 2 Rough Collies
If you decide to try and cut his nails yourself, get the "guillotine" type clippers.

Cut back to where the nail BEGINS to curve, not up IN the curve. If Colt's nails looked split then the groomer's clippers might have not been as sharp as they should have been.

Love That Collie

Owned by 2 Rough Collies
bumhouse, a word of advice if you do decide on a dremel in the future, watch an experienced groomer with one of them because a dremel can be harmful in the wrong hands.

I don't think I can use a dremel - or even cut his nails. I am a nervous type and Colt will sense this. I'm going to try a new groomer first off because I find this one to be a very nice lady but kind of gruff and I think Colt senses that to. You have to be calm and gentle with him or he gets very defensive. If you are too quick with your actions, even wiping his feet, he gets jumpy. I'll let you know how it goes next time. Thanks.....

Members online

No members online now.