BOMBERS STRANGE BEHAVIOUR SOLVED, but sad

Bomber

Hello again, just to let all the people know who tried to help me solve Bombers Strange Behaviour, I have just found out its a disease called Ceroid Lipofuscinosis-CL or Storage Disease. Tonight I decided to call the breeder I brought Bomber of and is happens that another dog in Bombers litter also had it. 1 in 4 puppies in a litter get it, although the chances of a litter getting it are very, very small. Now here comes the bad news, the disease it fatal, a dog with this has never been known to live past the age of 2 ½. My partner and my-self are devastated and finding it hard to deal with, knowing our 20-month-old dog has this is terrible. Tomorrow Bomber is going to have a blood test and it will be sent to Melbourne to have it tested to be 100% sure before we have to have him put to sleep. The problem with the disease is that the dog at any time can become aggressive, and with small kids that’s not good. So far we have been told that if the test comes back and confirms the diagnosis, we should have Bomber put to sleep soon and not wait too long, also to minimise the suffering. My problem though, is that how do you put a dog to sleep when his still happy and full of life. This is so hard, Bomber is my son, and facing the fact he has a fatal disease is taking it out of me.
For any one who might want to look at the web site on the disease is: http://www.mybcsite.com/bccnswwebfiles/clinformation.htm

It’s a very good web site. Well once again to all the people who replied to me about Bomber, thank-you very much.

Last edited:

bubbatd

How horrible for you !!!! I hope the breeder looks into the well being of the other pups and never breed any of that line again.. my thought are with you !

JennSLK

F150 and a .30-06
Do you have kids?

My personal opinion, if you dont have kids, is to not put him down, even if he does have it, as long as he't not suffering.

If you take him out in public muzzle him and crate him if family/friends come over.

If you do have kids I would put him down, you dont want to risk it

Either way I am verry sorry.

Ash47

Taco Dog
I am sorry to hear about that. I don't know what you are going through, but I do offer my condolences.

What a devistating thing to find out. I am so sorry. I would watch for deterioration in personality and capability before putting him down, unless you have kids, and then there's no question. You can't risk their well being. I am sorry.

Barb04

Super Moderator
I'm so sorry. It's good that your having more bloodwork done. Please keep us updated.

R

RedyreRottweilers

HOw very sad for you all.

My deepest sympathy.

Reading about this disease, if I were breeding BCs in Australia, I would think about importing semen.

I cannot express how very sorry I am about Bomber. I would be devastated, as I'm sure you are. I looked at the link you posted, and if any puppies in a litter have it, both parents should be spayed immediately. I would get in touch with your breeder again, and make sure that they understand that genetically, even if the puppies they produce do not actually have the disease, they are all carriers of it, and if they care about the breed, they will do everything in their power to eliminate passing this gene on to another generation. I am very sorry you are having to deal with this.

aelizilly

Beagle Bailey
So sorry to hear about your devistation and your decision ahead of you. I know it will be a tough one, but I pray you find the strength to make a decision that fits your life best.

Good luck and God bless!

Members online

No members online now.