house training with out crating?

my2girls

Sorry, I don't have any suggestions for this one. I crate train b/c that's what my grandma did w/ her dogs and litters, so she swore by it.

I thought you were just starting crate training b/c of the accidents? Is in not working well for you?

Jamie

Mordy

Quigleyfied
if you want to house train without a crate, there's only one way:
supervise your puppy every second of the day.

accidents happen when you can't act on the first sign of the puppy having to go. and every single accident you allow to happen means a setback overall. it's not the dog's fault, they don't know better but are trying to learn to please you: including not soiling in improper places.

so keep your eyes on your dog. if you need your hands free, put him on a leash and tie it to your waist. feed, water and take him out to potty on a tight schedule. don't turn your back on him for a second while giving him free run of the room, and don't give him free run of the entire house until he's at least mostly reliable.

all this is easier with a crate or x-pen, since you can pop the dog in it when you can't supervise, even if it is just for 5 minutes while you are on the phone with a friend.

bubbatd

I agree with Mordy .... I've never crated and had my pups with me every minute.

Saje

Island dweller
You can use a puppy proof room or pen instead. Or just section off a part of the house that's easy to clean. Dining room? Kitchen? Bathroom? Same sort of principles apply. Make sure he loves it and feels safe there. Keep him with you as much as possible. You can keep him on a leash in the house to make sure he is at your side.

I don't crate train. I know it works for many dogs and most people like it. It's just not for me. Mine get a room or area.

I dont use crates, they have only recently been available here and I dont use paper, i pup the pup outside after meals, naps etc and about every 30 min, and tell it to go toilet then as soon as the pupps has I treat it, this is a methore that I have always found worked. You need to keep an eye on the pup and when its sniffing around and looks like it need to go out then I take it out

Members online

No members online now.