Daddy/mommy or owner/handler?

Emily

Rollin' with my bitches
Yeah, for working in daycare you get used to using Mom and Dad. I mean, like, we have a dog who's "Mom" drops him off with his car harness because his "Dad" needs it for when he picks him up. It's just way easier to explain it that way as opposed to "Otto's female owner unit will leave the harness here for his male owner unit." lol

I think, though, that I usually refer to myself as the owner/handler. Although my parents are Keeva's grandparents (she knows what "You wann go to Grandma's?" means) and my sister is her aunt. LOL

Really though, when I'm just talking to people I say "my dogs". I think of them as partners/teammates sort of, mostly because of the handler/K9 partner thing. But that also extends to when they're off duty. We watch each others backs.
Sums it up well for me, except, of course, for the "duty" part since none of mine are service dogs.

Although Kharma's been excellent about helping me up and down the stairs while my knee's effed up. :)

Most people who know us will tell you Kharma and I are essentially the same person . . . poor Kharma :eek: But she hasn't eaten anyone for saying it.

Yet.

She just head bumps me and rubs her head against me and purrs down deep in her chest. :)

They're more than . . . anything . . . to me. It's something that can't be described in any small phrase, so "my dogs" has to do. It's more a belonging than an owning.

I'm another "around the house it's mom and dad but in public it's owner" person. It's just so much easier and less ridiculous feeling around the house to say "GO FIND YOUR DAD" than "GO FIND YOUR MALE OWNER" or "GO FIND *NAME*".

A facebook friend uses the term "mimi" instead of mom or mommy, and I actually quite like it. It's not exactly mommy, but it's an acknowledgement that there's something more than an owner-owned relationship, too.

SkyRock

I usually use the term mommy when talking about him online. But I think it's just a natural thing, when I overthink it, it does kind of weird lol. I think one of the reasons I do use that term is because I don't have children of my own so really the term 'mommy' doesn't have any other meaning.

But most of the time I call him my friend or my buddy when talking about him in real life.

When I get my Aussie in a few more days I will most likely call them 'kids' when talking to them.

I got used to the mommy thing, because whenever I drop him off at day care or the groomers they call me 'Rocky's mom' and it is kinda cute LOL

yoko

Usually person or her owner if its something like a vet visit or out and a stranger asks. Around friends we're best friends

HayleyMarie

Like a bat outa' hell
I refer to Teagan as my heart. When Tyler and I are talking reguarding Teagan we say mommy and daddy lol. Tyler calls Teagan his dogder as is daughter, but not lol

All though when I am talking to people I say my dogs.

Emily

Rollin' with my bitches
Um also the term fur kids creeps me out but the term skin kids makes me want to take hot pokers to my eye balls. Just sayin'.

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
Um also the term fur kids creeps me out but the term skin kids makes me want to take hot pokers to my eye balls. Just sayin'.
That one seriously skeeves me out. I don't know why, but when I hear the term I always picture something like this:

*BARF*

MandyPug

Sport Model Pug
I don't really refer to myself in public as anything... I'm referred to as "Izzie's mama" jokingly and she has a lot of "aunties" within the group as well as I'm an "auntie" to lots of dogs.

How I refer to others? Depends, but usually it's dogname's person.

Okay.

That really makes me wonder just exactly what kind of kinky sites you surf :eek: Some of the stuff Charley would leave up on the computer was pretty twisted, but that's . . . .

Emily

Rollin' with my bitches
That one seriously skeeves me out. I don't know why, but when I hear the term I always picture something like this:

*BARF*
SAME!!! More or less. It just gives me a really bizarre image. Not many words can make me shudder, but that's one of them. LOL

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
SAME!!! More or less. It just gives me a really bizarre image. Not many words can make me shudder, but that's one of them. LOL
Me too. That word just grosses me out so badly.

I don't like the term fur kid... but I can at least picture a dog, cat, ferret, bunny, etc.

Human kids are obviously just referred to as kids... so when the term "skin" is thrown in front of it, I don't automatically think human children. I think of some other strange creature that isn't a human child, mammal, reptile, or bird... just some odd thing that lives with them that's covered in skin.

Hairless monkey seemed close enough to being what I picture, but that photoshopped picture really takes the cake. lol.

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
UH, what EXACTLY is odd about that picture, Adrianne? :confused:

:)lol-sign:)
:rofl1: :rofl1:

I mean, what other kind of skin kids are there? Those may be what people ARE actually referring to when they say "skin kid." Some weird mutant pet-thing just covered in skin.

Romy

Taxiderpy
Okay.

That really makes me wonder just exactly what kind of kinky sites you surf :eek: Some of the stuff Charley would leave up on the computer was pretty twisted, but that's . . . .
lol! That's a pretty famous sculpture by Patricia Paccinini. I think it was intended to be pig people.

ETA: Here's a link to more of her work, including that sculpture. Don't click the link if you're easily skeeved out though, and it might be NSFW depending where you work. http://coilhouse.net/2008/11/patricia-piccininis-human-animals/

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!

Members online

No members online now.