I don't understand... re: childcare

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*
Browsing through childcare ads I found an ad from a family that wants a night nanny for two newborns, hours 9p-7a.

A few ads later...

Same family wants a nanny during the day from 8:30-6:30.

When are they going to spend time with their own children? :(

They are willing to pay $330/24 hours (nearly 10k a month :eek: ) for someone (or two people, apparently) to care for their newborns. I find this so heartbreakingly sad. :(

Granted, I don't know the life story, but I can only hope that the help they need is temporary while they adjust to life with twins.

sprintime

That is an odd ad. Why have babies if you aren't prepared to look after them? So the kids will know their nannies better than they know their parents. Well, the money is good for anyone wanting the job but that kind of ad gives me the creeps. Lots of parents have twins and they raise them without help. I can see a few hours during the day but paying for someone on a 24/7 basis sounds weird - why not just give them up to the system if they don't want them. My friend has twins, 2 autisitc boys, and she looks after them herself.

ACooper

It very well could be that the parent/parents are still going to be there..........they just want a nanny to do the nasty work, LOL

10k a month for childcare? Ya, they obviously have money. It's not unusual for people like that to have a childcare provider available 24/7 to do the gross stuff. And consider what "movie stars" go through? They have a nanny right on set with them sometimes...........the kid & nanny wait in the stars room/trailer and the star can spend time in between shoots with the kid if they want.

Hard telling what type of situation it is.

boneyjean

Stinky Butt
You never know, it could be two working parents...maybe one or both are Dr's and have odd hours and need to be able to drop everything and leave on a minutes notice. Like an OBGYN for instance. Or one parent who travels a lot.

It is a lot of work taking care of baby, so I can only imagine two! Plus, I think some daytime nanny's probably help keep up with basic housework too like at least baby laundry etc. I have a friend, my Dr infact, that is an OBGYN and she works constantly and wants to enjoy her time with her kids when she is off and not be catching up on housework etc. Her husband watches the kids at night but they have a nanny during the day. Her husband doesn't have to travel for his job though so he is there every night. Just throwing some thoughts out there.

Just b/c people have demanding jobs doesn't mean they can't have a family. It may not be what we grew up with or would want or do but it doesn't make them love their children any less.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
When i was born, my mom got very sick and my dad had to take care of me and my brothers all by himself for a while.i was premature and needed constant care soo they need help and they hired a nanny, she was live in for a LONG WHILE even when my mom was better, she was a part of my family and a great help, even when i was just a newborn. My mom of course was well enough to feed me, change a diaper ect.. but my dad had to go back to work soon and she wasnt well enough to care for me late at night and was sometimes unable to care for me during the day. (she had a c-section, plus was sick and on heavy medication) she was a live in so she was with us 24/7. and i was premature and neeeded ALOT of care
The nanny stayed with us, and for those who can afford it, they are a great help :)
a NANNY is NOT so you dont have to be a parent or care for your child at all, or because you dont "want" your child, its because you just need some help. Some people do use nannies the wrong way, aka:they just give them the responsiblity of being a parent. but most of the time, people just need a little extra help. especially with twins!

why not just give them to the system?! since foster care is SOOO much better than having a nanny take care of you! NOT!!! it doesnt mean they dont love their child it just means the parents need some help!

SizzleDog

Lord Cynical
Could be odd work hours, could be they both work somewhere where they don't get maternity leave.... could be that they didn't want kids in the first place, but ended up with them and now don't want to be around them.

The more I've read about people having a strong desire to *not* have kids... is that "You'll love your own kids" is a myth. I can't tell you how many stories I've read of people who didn't want kids, happened to get prego, decided to keep the babies because of the "myth" that once you have your own, you'll love them. When the baby eventually arrives... they don't like the baby. They *don't* love their own. They resent and even are disgusted by the baby. They're *miserable*, and the kids are miserable too. Sad, for everyone. :(

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog
without knowing the story...
perhaps there career orientated people, or work odd hours...mabe one works nights and the other words days ect theres any number of posibilities as to why...
one thing is clear..they can obviously afford it.

but i dont like kids....
people keep telling me "oh its different when there your onw" and "you shoudl have at least one, youll love it when it comes!" but i know thats not always truth and i have no patients with children so im not oging to get pregnant by choice in hopes its true...
and if i got pregnant, unless there was some magical bonding while still in their the kid would go for adoption..
i cant raise a child i resent/dont like...its unfair to the child.

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
Yeah I'm leaning towards the idea that they may be Dr's... I know the dr that delivered Hannah works a 24 hour shift. Luckily the practice he works for is a committee so he's not always on call even when he's not working but many Dr's don't get that luxury.

If they can afford that per month they must have some kind of high profile job that allows them that kind of income but maybe not all the time off they might like. Unfortunately though if it's going to be 24 hour care those children are probably going to have a tighter bond with the nanny than with the parents :( but nannies do more than just care for the children so it could be about helping to clean the house and make meals as well as help care for the children.

that being said... I am SO happy and blessed that I am able to be a stay at home mom. I couldn't imagine having someone else practically raising my children while I am always at work. That just wouldn't work for me but it works quite well for others.

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*
For 10k a month, I could very quickly learn to like children. ;)
HAH! :p

---
I guess the thing that got me is that this is for newborns (not yet born, mind you).. would mom go back to work right away? I'm not sure, but it sounds odd.

*shrugs* I understand the need to go back to work and parents needing two incomes these days, I wouldn't have a job if parents didn't need that and I LOVE what I do, the ads just.. struck me is all.

drmom777

Bloody but Unbowed
My daughter works as a live in nanny for a divorced woman who clearly does not want to spend time with her children. Her former husband , who is no bargain in a lot of ways, does want to spend time with them, but she wants custody anyway. many days she dioes not see them awake.

She has a lot of trouble dealing with family vacations, too, and wants to bring all kinds of help. My biggest question has always been--why did she have four kids?

Surely she noticed after the first or second that this was not for her?

Brattina88

HAH! :p

---
I guess the thing that got me is that this is for newborns (not yet born, mind you).. would mom go back to work right away? I'm not sure, but it sounds odd.

*shrugs* I understand the need to go back to work and parents needing two incomes these days, I wouldn't have a job if parents didn't need that and I LOVE what I do, the ads just.. struck me is all.
I know how you feel. The child care center I work at is open 6:30 - 6. And you know, there is always 1-2 that are there from open until closing time :( And some parents, when they pick up their children, don't have time to hear how their day was, or what the child accomplished that day. They are in a hurry - they need to drop them of at grandmas :eek:

Browsing through childcare ads I found an ad from a family that wants a night nanny for two newborns, hours 9p-7a.

A few ads later...

Same family wants a nanny during the day from 8:30-6:30.

When are they going to spend time with their own children? :(

They are willing to pay $330/24 hours (nearly 10k a month :eek: ) for someone (or two people, apparently) to care for their newborns. I find this so heartbreakingly sad. :(

Granted, I don't know the life story, but I can only hope that the help they need is temporary while they adjust to life with twins.
not for all the money in the world. You moms are brave.

why not just give them to the system?! since foster care is SOOO much better than having a nanny take care of you! NOT!!! it doesnt mean they dont love their child it just means the parents need some help!
^^ :hail:

Foster Care is not all its cracked up to be at all... while there are plenty of dedicated foster parents there are plenty more who are in it for the wrong reason (read:$$$) and even so there arent enough foster homes of any kind.

If these people have 10K a month (or is it 20K?) to pay a nanny or nannies... these kids will be much better off then many of those kids who have ended up in foster care.

Plenty of parents have live in nannies and are still good parents who spend time with their kids.

While the situation may seem "foreign" to some... it does not mean these kids wont be loved, cared for.

Bailey08

I know plenty of people who had help during the day and night nannies -- with single babies, babies who are very much loved and wanted. The night nanny may also be used for a short period of time, for when the babies are getting up a lot at night.

Not everyone gets a lot of maternity/paternity leave, and most parents like to spend time with the nanny and the children to see how they interact before leaving them alone together. Some jobs, like mine, don't have set 9-5 hours, so a lot of parents end up getting a nanny for those extra hours in case they are needed.

The parents may also just be feeling overwhelmed at the thought of two babies right now and are trying to be proactive. I at least would be freaked out!

That being said, I don't know these people or their situation. I am well aware that there are plenty of people who have children and don't really want to be involved in the act of raising them, and I think that's really sad. I don't understand why so many people who are such crummy parents decide that they want to have kids.

joce

I went into the wrong profession!!

My mom has worked at the post office for years-As long as I can remember I got dropped off at the before school program at 6-7 am and got picked up around 6pm. I survived,turned out semi ok:p My dad worked nights and we could have stayed home while he was sleeping but we would have driven him mad shortly! In the summer we would have a live in baby sitter-I guess that would be a nanny.

Members online