Getting them to play together

Kupo9

We've got an old golden retriever called Amber who is pretty well behaved and loves cats (she was raised with a couple of cats when she was about 2 or 3 for a few years). Anyway my sister recently got a new young puppy (a Corgi) and things are going along well enough, but I'd like to encourage them to interact more.

Alfy (the Corgi) seems to really like Amber, but Amber mostly just ignores him unless he does something like step on her tail or try to eat her food. She is very patient and not mean, but refuses to play with him or compete in any way. For example, if Amber picks something up to play with (she likes to play tug of war or be chased) and Alfy wants it, Amber will just drop it on the ground and walk away, even though she loves to play with humans.

I know Amber is old and I know that her behavior towards other dogs has been affected by being raised with cats, but if anyone has any ideas on how I might encourage her to interact more socialbly with Alfy I'd like to give it a cry.

It took Bimmer a couple of weeks to actually pay attention to Shiva. He tried to avoid her and just generally acted like she wasn't there, and he was only 2 1/2 years old when we brought her home. Shiva followed him around, teased him and just generally was an adorable little nuisance. Gradually, she won him over and they started playing, and playing . . . It didn't take him as long with Kharma, but there was still a period of adjustment.

You don't say how old Amber is, but you just have to give Amber time. She may never want to actually play with Alfie, but sooner or later, Alfie's going to be doing something that Amber just can't help but be intrigued with or she'll see Alfie getting into trouble and feel compelled to step in and get him out of trouble. To encourage her to interact, you can take time to pet both of them together, maybe giving them little treats. Just make sure you ALWAYS give Amber the treat first and pet her first. Take them for walks together.

Now, don't freak if Amber starts correcting Alfie when he's being naughty. As long as she's not actually biting down on him, let her do her job. And don't embarrass her by obviously correcting her in front of Alfie. If you need to step in, get her attention by gently calling her name, then telling her to be calm, or take it easy, or be gentle, whatever seems to register with her.

Members online

No members online now.