Top 8 'People Foods' That Are Toxic To Pets

Thanks Renee, I am keeping my fingers and toes crossed that it won't have bad effects. The chewing gum was small but still I am worries. Called the vet just a while ago and he said to bring Blake to him tomorrow.

Corey101

When I was growing up we used to feed my cocker spaniel grapes all of the time. He never had a problem, but I later found out that feeding him those was not such a great idea. I also heard that feeding dogs pork products is not good either. I don't remember at the moment why, but I don't feed my current dog pork anyway.
My current dog loves pineapple and watermelon and he drools puddles for Broccoli!

edrei

Here are the tested vegetables that you could feed your dogs; broccoli, carrots, Brussels sprouts, zucchini, spinach, celery, asparagus, sweet potatoes, green beans peas, and squash. Other than these veggies, you should ask your vet about it.:)

Simple Foods Can be So Dangerous

It is truly terrifying how many simple foods are dangerous for animals. I had a dog when I was little, but my family was the type that would have had her outside if they could. She couldn’t get on furniture and was always eating dog food. When I grew up and got my own dog with my ex, and then another, we spoiled those dogs something fierce.

They ate so much human food and got on every piece of furniture in the house. I just didn't know better about the food. Well, he took his dog and now I have mine, and she can still pretty much get on any couch or chair she wants. I just make sure she has regular baths and keep her in relatively clean areas outside and she's fine.

Once I learned about all the food dangers, I felt so guilty. I was lucky that they never really cared about most of the foods listed here that they couldn't eat. God was watching over them. I used to use garlic powder to season their homemade food because I thought it was good for them, but now I just leave it alone, unseasoned. I was also really surprised when I heard about yeast and dough. I thought it was okay before. That whole oven in their stomach thing is terrifying.

muzaffar

there are some of the foods that can be toxic and enormously harmful for dogs, it might help some one of you:
Alcoholic beverages Can cause intoxication, coma, and death.
Baby food Can contain onion powder, which can be toxic to dogs. (Please see onion below.) Can also result in nutritional deficiencies, if fed in large amounts.
Bones from fish, poultry, or other meat sources Can cause obstruction or laceration of the digestive system.
Cat food Generally too high in protein and fats.
Chocolate, coffee, tea, and other caffeine Contain caffeine, theobromine, or theophylline, which can be toxic and affect the heart and nervous systems.
Citrus oil extracts Can cause vomiting.
Fat trimmings Can cause pancreatitis.
Grapes and raisins Contain an unknown toxin, which can damage the kidneys.
Hops Unknown compound causes panting, increased heart rate, elevated temperature, seizures, and death.
Human vitamin supplements containing iron Can damage the lining of the digestive system and be toxic to the other organs including the liver and kidneys.
Large amounts of liver Can cause Vitamin A toxicity, which affects muscles and bones.
Macadamia nuts Contain an unknown toxin, which can affect the digestive and nervous systems and muscle.
Marijuana Can depress the nervous system, cause vomiting, and changes in the heart rate.

spiffy

Not many dog owners are aware that some human foods can be toxic to dogs. Pet parents are inclined to share whatever they are eating with the pet and many of them would say that nothing happened to the dog. However, small amounts of toxic food may not have instant bad effects on the pet. The toxic substance would build up in the dog's system with regular consumption until symptoms of poisoning are manifested by the pet.

ASPCA has a list of human foods toxic to dogs. Let the list be your guide in feeding your four legged furry friend. And when in doubt...it would be best NOT TO FEED rather than be sorry. :popcorn:

Oh my god I never knew that chocolate can be that much dangerous for dogs. Thanks for this useful information. Keep posting such useful stuff.

Very very useful news that you've given! Probably I'm a newbie and first time had a dalmatian! so i hope that i would follow your path in order to bypass any casualties to my dog. :)

I was just reading an article about Xylitol and how bad it is for dogs the other day.

It's terrible!

What's worse is that more and more food manufacturers are resorting to using Xylitol and the likes of it when it as sugar sweeteners, and many dog owners just feed their dogs from these foods without knowing just how bad the repercussions are for their dogs!

I even had a few of my friends guilty of not knowing about all of this, until I sat them down and had a talk with them, LOL. :lol-sign:

greg_nill

Thanks!

I had no idea that some of the food I gave my dog caused him problems. Thanks for this! Great read!

Wow, you guys have updated me with so much information. But i have also to share that from which things I always try to prevent my dog.
1) Xylitol: One of the more ubiquitous sweeteners in sugar-free products, xylitol is a naturally occurring sugar alcohol found in the fibers of many fruits, vegetables and mushrooms.
2) Chocolate: Cocoa, the main ingredient in chocolate, is said to have many health benefits for humans, from lowering the risk of cardiovascular disease to reversing age-related memory loss. However, one chocolate bar can be deadly to a dog or a cat.
3) Avocados. Guacamole is a staple dip in many households, and we might think it's harmless to let our pet lick the bowl when we’re done. But the avocado fruit contains persin, a fungicidal toxin. While it is harmless to humans (with the exception of those with avocado allergies), when consumed by dogs and cats it can cause vomiting and diarrhea.
4) Macadamia nuts: Dog owners should be especially mindful not to feed cookies, especially store-bought ones you might not know the ingredients of, to their pets. Beyond typical macadamia nut cookies, other flavors of commercial cookies and even some brownies and cakes contain macadamia powder or oil as an ingredient.
5) Grapes and raisins: The veterinary community has recently put out the word that grapes are highly toxic to dogs and cats.
6) Yeast dough: The yeast in uncooked bread dough can rise in a pet’s digestive system and cause high amounts of gas to accumulate. This can cause an animal’s stomach or intestines to rupture, possibly leading to a painful death.
7) Onions and garlic: “For cats, this is a major issue,†says Dr. Saunders, who says she’s seen several serious cases of onion poisoning. “People might think it’s okay if they’re cooking stew to give some to their pets, but that’s actually a real problem for them.â€
8) Marijuana edibles. Legal for either recreational or medical use in several states, marijuana is often sold in more potent forms, including edibles that taste much like some foods we would typically eat.

These were some of the things from which we should try to prevent our dogs. Also, you can the help from http://britishgrit.com/. They also help a lot as they have complete knowledge about all sort of dogs.

Great topic! I think that we must be careful with our human food we feed our pets with!

Even with some things that may seem like they are pet safe. If you are uncertain how the meat you bought in your store or market is treated then you shouldn't give it to your dog or a cat.

Here is another look at the dangerous chemicals, but found in the pet food. Still, these chemicals may sometimes be found in the processed human food and you should know about them and evade them in pet and human food alike
http://mysweetpuppy.net/dangerous-ingredients-pet-food/

This thread is the most important of all the threads in this forum. I highly recommend every one to share it with people who are owning the dogs. Most of the food items which are being given to dogs by their owners are generally unhealthy. Thanks a bunch for the list.

Mojalo

Remember, that whenever they ate these harmful foods you should give them an activated charcoal. It is commonly used for fighting the toxic or poison.

Members online

No members online now.