Dogs and Jaw Injuries

RBark

Got Floof?
I've never had a dog where this was a concern, so I want to learn from those of you where it is a possible issue. In this instance, it's mostly disc dog stuff, but tug is possible as well.

Note I've already been to the vet and she's been given the all-clear. So I don't think anything is seriously wrong, but some things she's done made me wonder.

Assuming there's no deformity of the face, obvious signs of pain, and mouth is opening and closing naturally, and the dog is able to hold on to objects tightly with the mouth in a tug session, is there any reason for concern about jaw health?

What brought this up is while we were playing fetch, Syl was running with the frisbee in her mouth and could not see where she was going. She slammed into the wall, it hit the other end of the frisbee in a perpendicular fashion. Afterward, she held her mouth open for a while then finally closed it.

I took her to the vet and there were no issues, no sign of injury. Then again, while we were playing tug, she jumped after the tug and smashed the side of her jaw on my knee. Same thing, she held her mouth open.

Both times she recovered right away and had no issues with jaw mobility or strength. But the holding the mouth open part bothers me. It is possible she was just yelling in pain, I would not be able to tell since I'm deaf.

I'm just wondering what anyone's experience is in this regard.

Gypsydals

How old is she? It could be possible she is teething and jarred a tooth loose. I know Phoebe did that a couple of times running into Ivan and he mouth wacked into him pretty good. And she stood there with her mouth open for a few seconds. So I'm assuming she either knocked a tooth pretty good or bit her check. There was no real blood either time. But I equated it to similar to our jaws getting head butted or slammed shut and it hurt a bit.

Members online

No members online now.