Kes' Schutzhund BH attempt

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
Well we attempted, but did not succeed at obtaining our SchH BH this weekend. I learned a ton and got some great support from my club-mates and will be trying again soon.

My nerves got the best of me and I think that contributed to Kes not getting the sit or down out of motion (he stopped, but did the wrong position on both), and he crept and then stood on the honor down and I lost all our points because I didn't realize we could still have gotten points even after he moved, so I went to him and replaced him. Live and learn. :p

He really did do great for a dog who has been in training for competition obedience for only about 4 months! (And who learned the motion exercises in the last few weeks lol)

Anyway, I figured you all might like to see our attempt on video, plus I'm open to suggestions if you have them. I'm hoping to find another trial by July (Myrtle Beach) or earlier.

YouTube - Kestrel's BH attempt (full)

And my FAVORITE pic from a friend:

It's absolutely great that you went out there and tried regardless of the results! You came out knowing your dog and you a little better and what to work on and got that nerve racking first attempt under your belt.

Great job to you and great job to Kes! I love that picture and when I get on a computer that will handle a video I'm gonna watch that

I know many judges that at the higher levels would have penalized for the artificial AKC style hand carriage.

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
Yup, it's the first heeling style I learned so my hand tends to revert there when I'm nervous. I'm working on retraining myself. ;)

Members online