Abscessed Wound..?

cooper

I've got this bloodhound that just wandered up to my house about a year ago. Since she's a 'mutt' my dad doesn't want to 'waste money' on taking her to the vet, so maybe you can help me out.

A few weeks after she appeared, I noticed she had a small knot on the left side of her chest area. It was a little concerned that it might be cancer, but it was only about the size of a small cherry so I didn't worry too much. Very recently, I noticed that the knot had grown, over just a few short days I guess, into what appears to be an abscess the size of a child's fist. So now I'm really worried, and the next day I check on her to discover that the abscess has ruptured. I thought then that it might be able to heal up. But then the skin on the outer side of the abscess somehow fell away and I could see the raw skin beneath. It is swollen and very red, and there is a deep hole about as wide as a pencil in the center of it. It looks like a deep tooth mark, but since it's on the exact spot as the previous knot, I really don't think it is from a bite. All I had to put on it was some Antimicrobial Wound Cream, I thought it might help. At first she didn't really want me to get near it, but she didn't flinch when I applied the wound cream. She doesn't appear to be in much physical pain from the wound, but she does seem like it is itching.

I'm going to pick up some antibiotics soon, but is there anything else I can do?

In my opinion the best thing would be to take the dog to the vet. If you have had her for about a year she is also due for a regular check-up and shots and this sore should really be treated by a vet.

cooper

My sister (it's kind of her dog) has been meaning to take her in for a check-up, but she's in between jobs right now. The abscess looks a lot better now, though. The swelling has gone down, and that open hole has sealed.

We tried to find her another home for a few months, before deciding to keep her ourselves. But she's pretty old and requires a lot of attention.

agilitydobemom

agilitydobemom
I do agree with Serena Cooper and your sister needs to get your dog into the vet for an annual check up to have vaccinations and a rabies too and to keep your sister from getting into trouble she needs to have the dog licensed (if that is required in your state) because if she is caught without a licensed dog it is going to cost her alot more that it would have in the first place
In the meantime inorder to keep that wound from getting more infected keep that Anitmicrobacterial save on it and it should do just fine
Make sure your sister gets the dog to the vet soon though o.k

Debi

I had a puppy once that had a little lump on his neck. When I took him to the vet....and this is kinda gross.......it was a maggot. The vet said it's common for flies to lay eggs on dogs and when they hatch, the maggot tunnels in. Especially common for a dog left outside (this poor little pup was a rescue that had been born outside and then abandoned) This can be fatal in small kittens and puppies as the maggot can tunnel straight in....in my pup's case, it would have strangled him. In an older dog.....there's just a host of problems with infection being the first to control. If there is a hole that large, and all the hair has fallen away...it sounds so similar. In my case the vet obviously removed the maggot and then I had a syringe that I placed into the deep would with antibiotics for a week.

What you've described sounds pretty nasty......please have it checked. A routine visit to the vet isn't that expensive....PROBLEMS ARE, so don't let it go any further without care. That pup is depending on you.

candy722

That's sad. You guys shouldn't give away your dog. IT's already old and Im sure your dog wouldn't want to die with a new owner. Not to be mean but just because your dog is old you shouldn't give it away for some one else to take responsibility for your dog. Im sure you guys would of payed for your dog's medical bill when your dog was younger but you should of also known that when dogs get older they will be needing alot more attention just like humans. Maybe try pet insurance?

Members online

No members online now.