Help! My baby has the blues

Apollonaro

Some teeny questions about my adopted pup that some of you may have the answers to, the shelter told us that he came in stray so i don't know his history.
he seems to have been abused becuase he cowers alot, and hides in the darkest baron corners of the room how can i stop that? It bothers me to think that he's afraid of us. Is it possible to make him feel more secure or no.
Another thing is the only toys he chews on are flavored things, like pig ears and ham bones. We stopped feeding him the pig ears cause he ate them too fast and figured that a hambone would last longer, WRONG, he had it destroyed in half an hour. He won't play with plush toys or things that make noise so i'm not sure what i can buy him to chew on, are there any suggestions?
It's basically just those too things. He seems depressed, doesn't liek to play and only likes to make contact with people outside, other than that he hides in the corner of a room. What would cause this? He also has seperation anxiety is there any EASY way to help him overcome it? I've tried web searches but they just do'nt seem to work, he just whines for HOURS and barks REALLy loud. Any help would be appreciated
i'll get pics up soon i have to find some first lol

Apollonaro

Is it depression or something different.
We shower him constantly with love and everything. And we rarely never leave him home alone. I'd like to buy him some toys, is it possible that maybe he's never had somoene to play with him so he doesn't know what to do? How do u get a dog to like plush toys lol.

Patience is the best thing you can offer this dog right now. It's going to take him awhile to overcome his fears enough to accept the idea that he has a good life now with people who love him and will protect him.

You might try a Kong toy stuffed with peanut butter. If you freeze the peanut butter in it, it will keep him busy for a long time.

For now, take him outside and play with him, giving him lots and lots of affection while you're outside. It will start to carry over to the indoors when he figures out that you aren't going to throw him out. I suspect that someone before has mistreated him terribly when he was indoors.

If he likes peanut butter, you might try putting some on your finger and letting him lick it off. It will encourage him to trust you and have a bond with you.

As far as the noisy separations go, have you tried leaving on a radio or the TV and giving him a blanket or something that has a strong scent of you?

Apollonaro

I will try the Kong and peanut butter. If he doesn't like peanut butter is there any other suggestions? He's a really picky eater and doesn't like dog treats, he only likes maro bones and he'll only eat them from McDonalds when we go through the drive thru. Occasionally at a pet store he'll steal a couple while he thinks nobody is watching.

As for the Seperation, music is always on. There is another dog here, a little older than him and there are 2 cats so the music is always on. We share the house with my mom for right now, In Law suits are so wonderful lol. When we are laying on the couch or sitting around he'll lick our hands but only once or twice before he dissapears again. As a matter of fact he's sleeping behind me right now. lol. We take him for a one hour walk at the minimum daily so that he get's his excersize and like i said before we spoil him rotten. We've had him 3 weeks now, and i've got no problem with waiting. I'd wait forever if i had to, i just don't like to see him looking so sad all the time. He's a totally different dog when a leash is on him though. Thanks for your advice, when the next paycheck comes in i'll get him a kong. I just hope they live up to their reputation as being indestructable LOL.

There is Kong stuffing available, or you can stuff cheese inside. Some people use that spray can cheese, but I'm not really sure it's actually a food . . . (lol)

It sounds like you're doing a good job of making him feel more secure. It just takes time with some of them.

I remember you've named him Apollo (to go with Athena) but can't remember what type(s) of dog he is . . . shame on me . . .

lol, we aren't sure
he's a "Hienz 57"
We think he is a Springer Spaniel, Staffordshire Terrier, Labrador with a little bit of Dalmation LOL... He's super smart
i'm just trying to teach him how to talk now lol
I still have to put pictures up, i'll get around to it

Members online