Very bizarre hypothetical question- sorry if offends

Sunnierhawk0

Feelin' Froggy? Jump!
Honestly, I can say that one of my dogs died before me, I would probably chow down LOL. It sounds morbid, but if they are already dead, and I was starving, I think the basic instinct of survival would kick in.

adojrts

I don't think any of us know how we would deal with that kind of life and death situation. And I hope that none of us have to find out.

Paige

Let it be
Honestly, I can say that one of my dogs died before me, I would probably chow down LOL. It sounds morbid, but if they are already dead, and I was starving, I think the basic instinct of survival would kick in.
To be honest I think I would too. Just like my dogs would do the same to me. Alive, whole different story. I'd never kill my dog because he is my bestfriend. However, dead he is gone and if I was dead he'd eat me. I'd like to say I wouldn't but would.

I do think the boys would out live me though so no worries. They can feast upon my flesh.:p

Maxy24

If the dog died first I'd eat him. If not and I was getting to the point where i wanted to eat him I'd probably kill myself, then the dog could eat me lol.

yoko

i couldn't kill yoshi for food i'd starve to death first. if she died first then.. MAYBE. not that she has much that i'd be able to eat.

mrose_s

BusterLove
i wouldn't kill my dog to eat it, the same as I wouldn't kill and eat my brother, sister or mother.
However if he did die before be it'd be a complete waste not to eat him then, as gross as that sounds.

"edited because I said "would kill" - typo lol

Sunnierhawk0

Feelin' Froggy? Jump!
I never thought about that, but if we did die before them, you know they would have no problem chowing down on us lol.

People do alot of stuff they never would imagine they would do when they are in a crisis situation ( I call starving a crisis!). Like that story about those people on the mountain that like 7 or something went up, 4 came back down and they confessed to eating them or something like that. Its amazing what you can do when you HAVE to. When your not given a choice.

chanda

My friends, who know how much we adore Zoe and think of her as part of our family asked if we could ever eat Zoe if it were a similar life and death situation. I absolutely would not. I would die of starvation first. My friend contended that hunger would take over and we would probably end up doing it. I realize this is a macabre question- but do you think you could? I still say I'd die first!
I dont know if ever i can do that to my dogs... but you'll never know till you are in that same situation... Hopefully it wont happen to me...

I think it would have to be an extreme situation to have to eat your dogs--humans can live a long time without food--they cannot live a long time without water--that would be most important.

Could you guys drink your urine in order to not die from thirst?

I would--and I would eat the dogs if they already died but would not if they were alive....

If they were dead, sure. Their soul would be gone and I wouldn't be overly concerned about the body, because it would just be meat. I wouldn't find it any more morally repugnant that eating any other source of meat.

Xerxes

Mr Poopy
I realize this is a macabre question- but do you think you could? I still say I'd die first!
I saw a movie where a guy was faced with this same decision. He was about to kill his dog (husky type) and the dog ran off. The man thought he was destined to starve. Hours later the dog came back with a rabbit. Both man and dog shared the rabbit.

Would I or could I kill and eat my dog(s)? Not a chance. They're the only chance I'd have of hunting, eating and surviving. Of course that would require me breaking the "never off lead" rule with sighthounds.:D

HoundedByHounds

Oh, it's *you*
I realize this is a macabre question- but do you think you could? I still say I'd die first!
I absolutely would. For myself or more importantly...my children. Killing it? dunno, but definitely if they died by some other means.

Your dog would have no issue returning the favor either.

Herschel

Well, maybe you wouldn't eat your dog but your dog would definitely eat you!

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/e...ez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum

This case study documents the nearly complete consumption of adult human remains by two domestic dogs (Canis familiaris) inside a residence. While scavenging behavior has been observed for coyotes, wolves, hyenas and other canines in natural outdoor environments, little information is available concerning canine scavenging of human remains in an indoor setting. In this case, the dogs were confined with the body inside a residence for approximately 1 month. The impact of intrinsic and extrinsic factors on canine scavenging behavior and the postmortem interval are examined, such as clothing on the body, perimortem trauma, drug ingestion and the availability of alternative food sources. While cases of canine scavenging of their owners are scant in the literature, this phenomenon is probably not uncommon, particularly among the elderly and indigent who live alone with pets and are socially isolated.

Saintgirl

Would I kill them to eat them? NO! But if for some reason or another they died before me- then yes as heart breaking as it would be, I would.

That's a situation that depends on your type of survival instinct. None of us would EVER break our dogs' necks with our bare hands, but during hurricane Katrina a woman was being rescued from rising torrents off her roof and the rescuers wouldn't let her dog come with her. The waters were rising fast and rescue was about to leave. She panicked and instead of leaving the dog there to wash away as she was lifted to safety she quickly hugged her dog one last time and broke his neck so he wouldn't have to drown. Some people washed away with their dogs, though. Most felt forced to leave them behind.
In a starvation situation I'm absolutely positive if I died first and my body could keep my animals or family alive long enough to get rescued I'd give my blessing on it. Likewise if one of my animals died first I know they would want us to salvage their body to stay alive. But no killing would ever take place. We'd all lean on each other and hope for the best until the end ;)

H

HarleyD

How long were the Donners lost anyways?
You can go for quite a while, especially if you are of a larger nature, without food. Water would be the main problem. If it rains, drink rainwater. If it snows, eat snow. Worse comes to worse, drink your own urine....YUCK!!!
I'm bigger so I would be hungry, of course. But it would take my body awhile to get through eating all the fat before I'd actually need to eat to sustain my own life.
I think I'd be o.k. but I would be worried that the dogs wouldn't have any food. Depending on the time of year, maybe they could hunt for themselves or eat grass and vegetation.

Yeah, I'd worry that my dogs would die first. But I wouldn't eat them.

I think the Donners were out for a bad winter. Not all that much to eat.

Its not that much of a far fetched idea. Apparently, my friends dad ate his childhood dog when Japan invaded China in WW2. It probably wasn't as culturally unacceptable as it would be here, but my understanding is that it was a pet dog and not intended for food.

Staff online

Members online