Soft Crates - Precision Pet or Noz2Noz?

Sit Stay

Not a Border Collie
I got a quote on special ordering a Precision Pet soft crate from my work, and long story short, it is WAY more than I thought it would be, even with my staff discount. I'm okay paying it if it's a great quality crate, but I haven't heard anything about them (I just knew it was a brand we could easily get in). A Noz2Noz would cost me about the same - does anyone know how the two brands would compare? Or have any other recommendations around the $100 (or slightly more) mark? I'd need a 36".

BostonBanker

Maybe not useful because I can't compare them, but if the price isn't much different, I would definitely recommend the Noz2Noz. I've messed around with a lot of soft crates at trials, just checking them out, and I still love my Noz2Noz the best. I've abused it horribly for maybe 5 years now, dragging it halfway across the country and leaving it in tents in bad weather and everything, and it is still in very good shape. A little wear showing at the corners, but not enough to make me think it will break through for another couple of years, and one zipper is a little sticky on a turn, but fully functional. It's really been well worth the money (except now Meg says she prefers wire crates, so now it hangs out in the garage).

MicksMom

Maybe not useful because I can't compare them, but if the price isn't much different, I would definitely recommend the Noz2Noz...
Me, too. But make sure it's the green N2N. They make a tan one that has only one door lighter weight flaps for the windows. My friend's is a real PITA to set up. I've set it up 5 or 6 times already (not sure how many times she has), and it's still stiff as a board. It only took maybe 3 or 4 times setting mine up for it to "break in".

Sekah

The Monster.
I've only ever bought a N2N, but I really like it. I can't remember the exact size I have (big enough for Cohen, 37lbs) but I got it on sale from Petsmart for about $85. I know of a number of my agility friends who swear by them too. I've had mine for ~2 years now, using it regularly at trials, etc and it's held up well. My only complaint is that sometimes the fold down sides get stuck when I'm trying to collapse it so every once in a while it's a pain in the butt to pack up.

MicksMom

I just remembered something to keep in mind- I don't know about the other brands, but you can get replacement covers for the N2N crates if you ever need to.

...My only complaint is that sometimes the fold down sides get stuck when I'm trying to collapse it so every once in a while it's a pain in the butt to pack up.
That was the biggest problem I had when I first got my N2N. Someone at Nosework showed me how to solve it by aiming the top "rails" in towards the center of the crate to fold it.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Make sure you latch the top lol. It doesnt come with a clip and both my dogs will escape out the top. Other than that I like the noz to noz.

meepitsmeagan

Meagan & The Cattle Dog Crew
Thanks guys!

I'd never heard of the EliteField crates, but those reviews are great!
Yeah, I like mine a lot. It's even held up pretty well to Rider's (discouraged) scratching at the crate wall when he thinks it's his turn to do nosework. :rolleyes:

I have a N2N and an Elite Field, and I feel like the mesh on the N2N is a bit more durable. Squash has scratched a little hole in his Elite Field, it's the one he sleeps in so it's not a big deal but I probably wouldn't take it anywhere. I feel like the N2N would hold up to an elephant, that's the one I take to trials and such.

I also have a couple of Canine Campers for Maisy and Pip that I have had forever, I take them camping a couple of times a year and they have held up fantastically. Those two are pretty easy on soft crates, though.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
:lol-sign: Good tip. I wouldn't have thought of it because, even with the top opened, Caleb stays in.

I have this jealousy of dogs that respect soft crates. A friend of mine had her really high drive and highly titled agility dog in one of those little pop up crates the other day and I was jealous.

Me too, I tried one of those soft ex-pens, that have the zip on cover, but the bottom only velcros on, yep Diesel figured out how to open the zippers, then when I clipped them shut he figured out how to dig the bottom off and go under it. I think I am going to sew Velco all the way around the bottom so there is no loose end.

MicksMom

I have this jealousy of dogs that respect soft crates. A friend of mine had her really high drive and highly titled agility dog in one of those little pop up crates the other day and I was jealous.
I have one of those, too. I used it for Rally class before my friend gave Caleb the N2N one Christmas. It's now in my "survival" box in my truck.

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
Backup, the dog who never stopped, could be contained in most anything. He respected boundaries from the get go. It was very nice. I was hoping this puppy would be the same... today at 12 weeks he climbed out of a tall xpen and tore up the room. Le sigh.

BostonBanker

I have this jealousy of dogs that respect soft crates.
Gusto is such a weirdo in a soft crate. He tries to walk through the mesh, and just keeps trying to push through. Doesn't scratch or bite at the mesh, just puts his little alien forehead against it and keep trying to step forward.

Meg, of course, being perfect, never once considered trying to get out of hers.

Shai

& the Muttly Crew

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
I have a N2N and an Elite Field, and I feel like the mesh on the N2N is a bit more durable. Squash has scratched a little hole in his Elite Field, it's the one he sleeps in so it's not a big deal but I probably wouldn't take it anywhere. I feel like the N2N would hold up to an elephant, that's the one I take to trials and such.
An elephant, maybe, but not a Webster :p. My N2N looks like a hobo crate. I still use it though.

Members online

No members online now.