Spayed puppy humping...

janitz

Hey all!

I've got an 11 month old lab mix and a 6 month old shepherd mix. They're both spayed.

Just a couple of days ago, the 6 month old started trying to hump the older girl. It's only happened a few times, and she's gotten a sharp "no" from us when it happens - she stops immediately.

I tried searching for this issue, and I've read that it could be a dominance thing. The one thing I couldn't find however, is if it's also normal in spayed dogs!

Any advice or further information is greatly appreciated! :D

Maxy24

Yup, perfectly normal in spayed/neutered dogs. Some do it to play or dominate the other dog. If your dog being humped will not tell the dog to get off then you should continue stepping in and removing the dog from her and making her stay away from the other dog for a few minutes to calm down and learn that this is not an appropriate way to play. It tends to get on most dogs nerves and you would not want her humping a stranger dog who gets angry about it and reacts aggressively, so stopping the behavior now is a good idea.

corgipower

Tweleve Enthusiest
What does the other dog do? If it's not going to be a fight and if the other dog isn't distressed by being humped, I would let them sort it out. Ares humps Morgan periodically and I just let them deal with the issue between them. When Tyr humps Nyx, I have to intervene because it is too damaging to her confidence ~ with Tyr, he does it right before he tries to rape her :yikes:

Dominance?? In my experience, it's usually either a sexual behavior or an indication of insecurity.

lizzybeth727

It could also be excitement. Sometimes dogs will hump each other when they're playing rough or with high-energy, they just kinda get carried away. Often if two dogs are playing hard or fighting a third dog will jump on top and start humping - it's a reaction to the excitement of the fight.

Doberluv

My two Chis do this to each other quite a bit. As long as they don't do it to humans, I don't mind.....BECAUSE...they don't mind. They do it when they're playing and take turns. Sometimes Jose` will be chewing his bone and Chuli will come up behind him and do this (gross to us) thing and he just goes on chewing his bone like he doesn't even notice. And visa versa.

But I agree that if it bothers one and giving one little mild growl or snarl doesn't do the trick, then I'd step in. I wouldn't want to let them think it's necessary to make a big deal out of it or get into a fight. My dogs have never fought so I do let them deal with it. In fact, Jose` has never once objected to anything whatsoever that Chuli does. But Chuli has given him a little tiny grrr if he bugs her and wants to play when she's taking her beauty rest..one little lip curl and he goes away. So it's a judgement call...depends on the dogs. But I'd try to not make a big deal out of it....just distract the one and offer an alternative behavior. Maybe they need increased exercise and mental stimulation....some kind of prey exercises to get their minds on other things.

Members online

No members online now.