Fox Red Lab?

Sweet72947

Squishy face
Has anyone heard of a Fox Red Lab? If you do a google search, lots of pics come up, but they don't really look red to me, just darker yellows. Perhaps its another BYB gimmick?

Boemy

I think they're really a shade of yellow. Not sure if they can be shown or not.

jess2416

Who woulda thought
Momof7 should know :) she can probably tell you something if she sees this post

MomOf7

Evil Kitty taco eater
White, cream, yellow, fox red are all shades of yellow. Its all a preferance of color. I dont advertise for different shades of yellow. Some reputable breeders do but its mostly the bybs or unethical breeders who advertise for a specific color. Also people who breed for a specific color isnt caring about that dogs particular lines nine times out of ten.

I have a fox red lab He is on my siggy. Its a shade of yellow I really like. But I wont breed my dog just because of his color. He has to prove to me he is of value in the gene pool.
I have noticed that those people who breed for the fox red often loose the black pigment in the process. Breeding a red to a red is ok but you want to somewhere bring back the black so you dont loose the black pigment. Since black is the dominate color for labs.
I would prefer to see a dark yellow or "fox red" bred to a black that carries the red gene. You get a better coat and better pigment.
So the red or dark yellow is ok but a breeder shouldnt "specialize" in that color alone. There are many different things that a breeder should look at which is the same for any reputable breeder. Clearances, pedigrees, performance ect. Those all come first before color. JMO

Heres a better pic of him so you can see the color.

PixieSticksandTricks

Athletic Labs. They Exist
My friend Mikes dad owns Labs and he has two that a very dark yellow or fox red. The darkest Henry is as dark as a Irish Setter just about and the other Jackson is a lighter shade which just looks almost orangish tanish but not as dark as Henry. I wish I had pictures they are beautiful so are their other three labs.

Wiggle Butt

Love my Labs
I have a fox red lab He is on my siggy.

Heres a better pic of him so you can see the color.
He is not fox red, just dark yellow. This is a fox red:
Tucker (isn't he gorgeous? :yikes: )

They are dark like an Irish Setter. A lot of people call dark yellows fox red, but I think when you see a real fox red you can definetly tell the difference. Luka is a dark yellow and I've had people ask me if she's a "red lab". She's dark but not that dark ...

MomOf7

Evil Kitty taco eater
Tucker is beautiful!!
He also comes from British lines I can see.
Yes my dog is on the lighter side of the red but still has the red tone none the less.;)

Members online

No members online now.