Quick help with raw for Addie please

mkj2013

I have started transitioning Addie from Z/D to Nature's Variety venison raw. She had been doing well, but threw up both her meals today. I am almost out of kibble, so I need to make a decision whether to try a different protein raw, or buy another bag of Z/D. What do y'all think? I was really hoping this would work for her:(

Emily

Rollin' with my bitches
Does she have a history of stomach issues? What did she produce when she vomited, bile or undigested food?

Did she re-eat it? Was she acting like she was sick? Sometimes the food just comes back up especially when they are getting used to it

mkj2013

Undigested food, she acted scared like she was upset. But since we're in the house I of course scooped her up really quick and took her outside. So that could be why she acts upset, she didn't get a chance to eat it- but she probably would...

mkj2013

She hasn't had stomach issues except with chicken kibble as a puppy, and when she was on very strong antibiotics.

Emily

Rollin' with my bitches
Did she re-eat it? Was she acting like she was sick? Sometimes the food just comes back up especially when they are getting used to it
Yeah I agree! My roommate's dog had a rough time switching over at first and would regurgitate and re-eat some of his meals. And IME tossing up some bile the morning after eating raw is not uncommon in dogs that are transitioning.

If she wasn't put off and seemed normal after vomiting, I would persist with the raw.

Oh, and, you might consider a probiotic, for some dogs it can really help. My Mal had some pretty nasty diarrhea when I first got her and plain yogurt with her meals has made all the difference. If she doesn't handle dairy well, there are powdered probiotics as well.

Emily

Rollin' with my bitches
She hasn't had stomach issues except with chicken kibble as a puppy, and when she was on very strong antibiotics.
Ok, cool! Knowing that, if she were my dog, I would definitely keep trying the raw. I would put her on a probiotic, and maybe even a digestive enzyme, if she continues to have digestive issues. :)

mkj2013

Ok thanks! Would you suggest a different maybe less rich protein? I'm asking all these questions because I need to either go buy kibble or make my first trip to the butcher tomorrow lol..

mkj2013

Oh, and could it be upsetting her stomach to be feeding her both kibble and raw because of digestion times? What is the best way to switch her over?

Emily

Rollin' with my bitches
Ok thanks! Would you suggest a different maybe less rich protein? I'm asking all these questions because I need to either go buy kibble or make my first trip to the butcher tomorrow lol..
Well, usually venison is pretty lean. I checked out the NV's website, and the Venison is one of the leanest formulas. So I think you're ok there. I think she probably just needs to ride out an adjustment period. Of course, if she keeps puking you might want to try another protein.

My plan for her, barring any digestive disaster, would be to keep her on the venison formula until she was very regular and well adjusted. Then I would start rotating varieties, assuming all went well.

ETA: Re switching, I would go cold turkey. IME you often can mix raw and kibble without issue, but when you're trying to transition a dog, often it's easier just to cut them cold turkey and let their system reconfigure a little.

I'm sure that it isn't, but figure I'll ask anyway just to rule it out. Is the stuff you're feeding still cold, at all, when you feed it to her?

mkj2013

Yes, I had read that for food safety issues don't let the food reach room temperature. So she's been getting it out of the fridge.

Yes, I had read that for food safety issues don't let the food reach room temperature. So she's been getting it out of the fridge.
That could very easily be the problem then with vomiting, cold food on an empty stomach. I would ziplock bag it, squeeze the air out and temper it in a container of cool (not cold) water until it's just slightly above room temperature (20 minutes maybe, depending on how much you feed).

My dogs do fine with cold and even frozen BUT I would not worry about food safety and room temp food. Dogs can handle fairly rancid meat, much beyond just room temp

I have started transitioning Addie from Z/D to Nature's Variety venison raw. She had been doing well, but threw up both her meals today. I am almost out of kibble, so I need to make a decision whether to try a different protein raw, or buy another bag of Z/D. What do y'all think? I was really hoping this would work for her:(
Hello mkj2013,

I hope the Z/D you're referring to isn't Hill's Prescription which is really hideous stuff and really bad for your dog, contains soybean oil, BHT, powdered cellulose, glyceryl monostearate... and hydrolyzed chicken liver and chicken are anyone's guess...

Soybean oil is a major source of pet allergies and a host of other very serious problems in cats and dogs. Soy is estrogenic and wreaks havoc on your pet’s endocrine system.

Glyceryl monostearate is an emulsifier (breaks down fats), lethal to lab rats, still under investigation by FDA. Widely used in cosmetic, medicine and plastic processing industries. Can contain up to 200 ppm butylated hydroxytoluene (BHT) which is a known carcinogen!

BHA is also a known carcinogen! Along with BHT, both are are used to stabilize the food and preserve the fat it contains.
These ingredients continue to be used in pet foods in spite of the fact that they are linked to cancer, immune system problems and loss of hair and liver damage.

Powdered cellulose is a cheap filler/source of fiber. In other words, cardboard and sawdust. Causes irritable bowel problems, very harsh on digestive tract.

All of Hill's products are really bad and most often sold by veterinarians...!

Nature's Variety venison raw and the rest of nature Variety products are GREAT... low carbs, species-appropriate, no fillers, 95% meat, exact opposite of the toxic mess from Hill's. Stay on this stuff and don't worry about serving at room temperature, dog's prefer it, like eating an animal in the wild.
Roger Biduk.

Hills's Prescription Z/D... throw it away...

Hello mkj2013,

I hope the Z/D you're referring to isn't Hill's Prescription which is really hideous stuff and really bad for your dog, contains soybean oil, BHT, powdered cellulose, glyceryl monostearate... and hydrolyzed chicken liver and chicken are anyone's guess...

Soybean oil is a major source of pet allergies and a host of other very serious problems in cats and dogs. Soy is estrogenic and wreaks havoc on your pet’s endocrine system.

Glyceryl monostearate is an emulsifier (breaks down fats), lethal to lab rats, still under investigation by FDA. Widely used in cosmetic, medicine and plastic processing industries. Can contain up to 200 ppm butylated hydroxytoluene (BHT) which is a known carcinogen!

BHA is also a known carcinogen! Along with BHT, both are are used to stabilize the food and preserve the fat it contains.
These ingredients continue to be used in pet foods in spite of the fact that they are linked to cancer, immune system problems and loss of hair and liver damage.

Powdered cellulose is a cheap filler/source of fiber. In other words, cardboard and sawdust. Causes irritable bowel problems, very harsh on digestive tract.

Nature's Variety venison raw and the rest of nature Variety products are GREAT... low carbs, species-appropriate, no fillers, 95% meat, exact opposite of the toxic mess from Hill's. Stay on this stuff and don't worry about serving at room temperature, dog's prefer it, like eating an animal in the wild.
Roger Biduk

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
Hello mkj2013,

Roger Biduk

Not really sure how this helps.

I would continue with the raw feeding. If she continues to throw up for more than several days consistently then I'd consider going back to kibble or taking her to a vet, if she's acting like she's sick. But vomiting is a very natural occurance when switching dog foods; I wouldn't worry too much. You might want to put her outside for 15-30 minutes after eating for the first week or two.

Members online