Ok, I'm confused... how does AKC style CH showing work?

vomdominus

Prey Drive's a BITCH!
I see lots of dogs with CH by their name, and I assume this means they're a show champ. How do they earn the title? Do they simply win say a national show to get it?

I know in the German conformation I do with my dogs, to get Sieger (victor, the highest title), you have to win a national or above level event, with a VA (excellent-select) conformation rating. VA can ONLY be earned at a national or above level event. You then have V (excellent), SG (very good) and G (good). Anything below a G is a fault and dq.

For example, my boy is V Dominus Tiberius, SchH3, BH, AD, CGC, kkl1.

It means he had excellent conformation in a German style event with at least a 90 in each event (V), he's titled master schutzhund (SchH3), has passed the physical fitness 12.5 mile run (AD), he's passed the companion dog/traffic sureness test (BH), he's a canine good citizen (CGC-looks good to the neighborhood), and he's "recommended for breeding" (kkl1).

I'm roughly fimiliar with the AKC style titles and what they mean, but how do you earn it?

I'm thinking about doing agility with my old man and we're doing tracking with our girl, and I think it would be cool to have some AKC titles for the old man too. I know he could do fantastically at agility...

Sorry for the rambling nature of this post, I'm having trouble expressing my thoughts on this...

R

RedyreRottweilers

You must win a total of 15 points to become an AKC CH.

from http://www.akc.org/events/conformation/beginners.cfm

How a Dog Show Works

Each dog presented to a judge is exhibited ("handled") by its owner, breeder or a hired professional. The role of a handler is similar to that of a jockey who rides a horse around the track and, hopefully, into the winner's circle.

Most dogs in competition at conformation shows are competing for points toward their AKC championships. It takes fifteen points, including two majors (wins of three, four or five points) awarded by at least three different judges, to become an American Kennel Club "Champion of Record."

The number of championship points awarded at a show depends on the number of males ("dogs") and females ("bitches") of the breed actually in competition. The larger the entry, the greater the number of points a male or a female can win. The maximum number of points awarded to a dog at any show is 5 points.

Males and females compete separately within their respective breeds, in seven regular classes. The following classes are offered, and are divided by sex:

Puppy - For dogs between six and twelve months of age, that are not yet champions (optional class).

Twelve-To-Eighteen Months - For dogs twelve to eighteen months of age, that are not yet champions (optional class).

Novice - For dogs six months of age and over, which have not, prior to the date of closing of entries, won three first prizes in the Novice Class, a first prize in Bred-by-Exhibitor, American-bred, or Open Classes, nor one or more points toward their championship (optional class).

Amateur-Owner-Handler – For dogs that are at least six months of age that are not champions. Dogs must be handles in the class by the registered owner of the dog and is limited to exhibitors who have not, at any point in time, been a professional dog handler, AKC approved conformation judge, or employed as an assistant to a professional handler (effective January 1, 2009) (optional class).

Bred By Exhibitor - For dogs that are exhibited by their owner and breeder, that are not yet champions (optional class).

American-Bred - For dogs born in the United States from a mating which took place in the United States, that are not yet champions (mandatory class).

Open - For any dog of the breed, at least 6 months of age (mandatory class).

After these classes are judged, all the dogs that won first place in a class compete again to see who is the best of the winning dogs. Males and females are judged separately. Only the best male (Winners Dog) and the best female (Winners Bitch) receive championship points. The Winners Dog and Winners Bitch then compete with the champions for the Best of Breed award. At the end of the Best of Breed Competition, three awards are usually given:

Best of Breed - the dog judged as the best in its breed category.

Best of Winners - the dog judged as the better of the Winners Dog and Winners Bitch.

Best of Opposite Sex - the best dog that is the opposite sex to the Best of Breed winner.
Read more HERE.

vomdominus

Prey Drive's a BITCH!
You must win a total of 15 points to become an AKC CH.

from http://www.akc.org/events/conformation/beginners.cfm

Read more HERE.
Good info, but my workin' dog would never win in an AKC conformation ring, he's to much of a German GSD to do good.

I was hoping he could earn a championship for his athleticism and intelligence (through agility or obedience or tracking or something), not for extreme angulation of hindquarters and a funny stack in the show ring.

R

RedyreRottweilers

You asked what the requirements are for an AKC show Champion title.

There are other titles for sure, Obedience Trial Champion (OtCH)
Master Agility Champion (MACH)
Herding Champion (HCH)
Field Trial or Amateur Field Trial Champion (FCH AFCH)

I am sure there are others I'm missing, I think there is an Earth Dog Champion title, and a Lure Coursing Champion title.

Most of us who have dogs who have earned that Show CH title in front of their names are very proud of it, and worked hard to get it. It is always nice, however, to see dogs with titles at either or both ends of the name.

Best of luck to you with your lovely dogs.

vomdominus

Prey Drive's a BITCH!
You asked what the requirements are for an AKC show Champion title.

There are other titles for sure, Obedience Trial Champion (OtCH)
Master Agility Champion (MACH)
Herding Champion (HCH)
Field Trial or Amateur Field Trial Champion (FCH AFCH)

I am sure there are others I'm missing, I think there is an Earth Dog Champion title, and a Lure Coursing Champion title.

Most of us who have dogs who have earned that Show CH title in front of their names are very proud of it, and worked hard to get it. It is always nice, however, to see dogs with titles at either or both ends of the name.

Best of luck to you with your lovely dogs.
Oh I don't doubt it at all! It's just that American style GSDs and German style GSD's may as well be separate breeds with how different they are! I know my dog's good at what he does, but I'm not deluded enough to think he'll to good in the show ring.

See, I thought the working aspects of an AKC style show were interchangeable somehow with showring dog type titles- that a CH was a CH was a CH, I didn't realize they had different titles for each type of champ. Thats good to know that there are new things I could do with my boy to let him earn some new letters by his name lol.

Ok, I'm learning now. I just moved to Oklahoma, and there aren't any schutzhund clubs around me, but there is some AKC style stuff. I'll still work my dogs on a sleeve at home, but for their sake, I like to get them out and have them compete, it lets them feel like they haev a job and keeps them happy. The girl, being a tracker, will transition easily I think; I just need to find a job for the old man...

thanks again!

Members online