I'm So Proud of Rocky!

BigDog2191

Big German Shepherd
Today has been a pretty good day of house training. Only 1 accident.

Well, anyway I put him in the kitchen because I was about to take a nap (real tired). I found myself on here and talking to a friend instead :D. Well, he fell alseep for a while and then about an hour and a half later I hear him whining very loud. So I go in there and take him out assuming he has to use the bathroom. I've done this before so I wasn't expecting him to do anything but it wasn't worth the risk.

But he did! He pooted and peed! LOL! Something weird to be happy about but I am! It was like he called me telling me, "Yo, man . . . I gotta go!"

Hehe, I was really proud of him and since then I've been taking him out after a nap, eating, drinking, and playing. And besides that one accident earlier . . . it's been good.

So I thought I'd share my joy! :)

Woo hoo!!! All right Rocky!

Now you have to listen real careful and let him out any time he gives you the "I gotta go!" signal! You're awesome, BigDoggyDaddy! :D

Something I kept meaning to mention to you, but I forgot. This is something I've used on a lot of dogs who had accidents in the house.

Get yourself a little tinkly bell in a craft store. (They're all over the place around December.) Hang it on the door to the yard by a string right down to Rocky's nose level. Show him how it makes noise, and praise him every time you jingle it like it's a fun game. Then you can either hold a treat next to it or put a little peanut butter on it to show him how to touch it with his nose. When he does touch it and it jingles, immediately let him outside. Every time he touches the bell he gets to go out. And if you're taking him out on your own accord, encourage him to ring the bell with his nose before you open the door. The goal is to get him to make the connection that "ring=outside". Then he has a fool-proof signal to tell you that he needs out. It works like a charm!

And you're very welcome. I'm only happy when I help! :)

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
that is the best part of being a bigdogdaddy..you helped him learn

Good job! Ive been meaning to do the bell thing for a while now, most times I understand the "I have to go out" look but not allways.

BigDog2191

Big German Shepherd
Yup, yesterday Rocky actually had another accident later on. :rolleyes:

So, like what, 2 or 3 accidents that day. Not bad, at least for me it isn't :) .

He really did a great job. He hasn't done that great in a while. I'm very proud of him. I felt like it was a sign that he is improving . . . gradually. I was starting to think he would never be house trained :eek: .

LOL, but I appreciate everyone's help in giving advice in one of my dozen house training threads. And Creature Teacher, for helping me work on obedience. Y'all helped me with him a lot :) .

Gustav

Don't encourage me..
I had a bell by the door! I took it off in the end because Gus was just using it all the time (like every 5 mins!!)! Everytime our neighbours dog barked he wanted out, everytime the wind rustled the trees in the garden he wanted out, it was getting ridiculous!!! And of course you can't not let him out incase he really does need out to go to the toilet! So in winter when the doors closed (in the summer the door is always open!) I ask him if he needs out and he'll let me know if he does! He doesn't go if he doesn't need to because it's cold out!!

BigDog2191

Big German Shepherd
Today, he did the same thing. I ran around with him to sort of get things moving, so to speak and he must've pottied 5 times.

And then, I was bringing him in and I opened the door . . . he stopped at the door way and just looked at me for a second and whined a bit, the "I gotta go" call. So, I took him back into the yard and he did his business! It was pretty cool. :)

Members online

No members online now.