foodaggression?

Sunnypup

mostly ignored...
My little guy is almost four months old and just today he started exhibiting some frightining signs that he has become food aggressive. He is fine with his actual food bowl, we make him sit and give paw and then wait until we put the bowl down before he can dig in. But we just gave him a kong toy and my husband went to unclasp his leash under his neck while happily enjoying the stuffed kong and he went BERSERK snarling and growling and showing his teeth. He has never done this before and frankly I am worried. Should I just not give him the kong or his flavored healthy edibles bones anymore since that is what he is doing this with? Is there a way to train him to NOT do it? I tried just not pulling my hand away and being stern with him, saying NO and rubbing him under the chin since that is what seemed to bother him while he had the toy, someone going under his chin. I took the toy away if he growled and gave it back if he did a sit/stay,and highfive, then I went back and did it again for about 10 minutes until it seemed like he was confident he would get the toy back or not lose it at all if he didn't growl. Is this the right thing to do? What else do you suggest? thanks.

schaferhund

Deutscher Schaferhund
Sounds like you have it covered. Keep doing what your doing and make sure you give him lots of praise when he allows you to take it away from him and then reward him with the kong. Give him a stern no and a correction if he does growl at you when you try to take it. Keep up the practice, and remember to keep it upbeat when he does what you want him to.

Members online