Manual DSLR Users...

JessLough

Love My Mutt
Are you shooting in RAW? Was your white balance set to auto? Unless you have a program like lightroom then you'll need to change the WB on your camera to match the color. Most likely it was set to Tungsten. It exists for the when shooting indoors with tungsten lighting, it will add coolness (blue tone) to the photo to counteract the orange cast coming from the indoor lighting. Try using Fluorescent or Daylight depending on the lighting in your house, or flash if you're using flash. Normall I use auto WB and correct it in light room (because I don't think my camera is smart enough) but without an editing software you're going to need to tackle this in camera.
ahahahaha right, I forgot to check that, and I bet it's on Tungsten for work :rolleyes: Thanks! (I wasn't too impressed with the pictures anyway, luckily)

Equinox

I thought about trying to get into the 52 weeks on Flickr, but 1) don't think my pictures are good enough and 2) I hear it's not as active as it used to be? I enjoy Amanda and Katie's threads SO much, though. I'm excited for this 52 weeks challenge!

katielou

Slave to the Aussie
I thought about trying to get into the 52 weeks on Flickr, but 1) don't think my pictures are good enough and 2) I hear it's not as active as it used to be? I enjoy Amanda and Katie's threads SO much, though. I'm excited for this 52 weeks challenge!
Your pictures are for sure good enough and the group is plenty active for me.
You should see if they have any last minutes slots left!

FG167

Well then mine aren't good enough either! :p

It looks fairly active. I really just need incentive for myself to be a better photographer. I used to be ok, but then I stopped using manual in any way and even forgot how (I used to use Canon, now use Nikon and in the switch, forgot the little I knew before). Plus, a hobby that makes me do something else besides train dogs is kind of nice ;) Although, Kastle will probably be sick of this "new" hobby by the end haha

Lyzelle

It seems my new point and shoot has above-average manual settings. Granted, it won't be the best quality ever...still a point and shoot. But it'll be nice to at least re-learn some of the basics of ISO and shutter speed settings before getting my hands on something more complicated and expensive. And it tells me what I set the settings to, so I don't forget!

Lizmo

Water Junkie
I really have nothing constructive to add, other than I'm looking forward to having a photography challenge! I'm sure I won't be able to participate each week with college, but I hope to try!

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
RAW, if you plan to edit you'll want the RAW file. Some shoot raw+jpeg because they won't have to convert unless needed but that takes up way too much room on a card & my camera. Jpeg isn't an option for me anymore, it's too limiting.

FG167

RAW, if you plan to edit you'll want the RAW file. Some shoot raw+jpeg because they won't have to convert unless needed but that takes up way too much room on a card & my camera. Jpeg isn't an option for me anymore, it's too limiting.
So do you think I should just jump in all the way and go RAW? I have Lightroom and PhotoShop but I have never done anything with RAW. Do I import/edit them the same way as a jpeg? And then how do I save them? I like editing my photos and mine take a significant amount for me to even half-way like them with my new camera because I'm not happy with my creative auto settings...

crazedACD

I know this is a photography thread, but have you guys messed around with action sets in photoshop? Any favorites? I like them a lot for different things.

Equinox

I shoot in JPEG + RAW and I really prefer what I can recover/tweak in RAW vs. JPEG. I just shoot in JPEG for the times when I want to do a quick upload SOOC. Originally I would shoot in both but only edit and upload my JPEG files because the color was so much better, but that I hear is pretty easily recoverable. I know about as much about post processing as I do about photography, so take it with a grain of salt :p

As far as PS action go, I keep meaning to download a few. They'd save me so much time!! I downloaded a set of black/white actions that I really like but now I can't remember where they're from.

Also, thanks for the words of encouragement on the 52 weeks on Flickr!! I stalk the page (and of course, Amanda and Katielou's threads) regularly and the photos are so incredible. I think this challenge on Chaz will keep me busy, but once I am comfortable with my photography and using my camera, I'd really like to join. So probably next year?

FG167

I have Pioneer Woman action sets...love the 'boost' one.
http://thepioneerwoman.com/photography/2008/04/actions/

I just got a new laptop...going to try to do photoshop tomorrow...ugh I'm scared to lose it.
The link to download those didn't work for me :(

Also, thanks for the words of encouragement on the 52 weeks on Flickr!! I stalk the page (and of course, Amanda and Katielou's threads) regularly and the photos are so incredible. I think this challenge on Chaz will keep me busy, but once I am comfortable with my photography and using my camera, I'd really like to join. So probably next year?
If I do ok with it this year, I am going to do Limit next year. I'd also like to do the cat one but I will for sure miss the first few months since ours aren't coming home until Feb-April.

You import them the same way as jpegs but you can edit so much more, you'll be thrilled. :) you'll need to save/export as jpegs for uploading purposes though.
Yup, just shoot RAW. So much easier to tweak with those over JPEGs.
Ok, switching to RAW :)

Any other settings anyone would recommend I start off changing? I am reading a TON online but would love tips from those that shoot a lot of pet photography since that is primarily what I do.

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
...help please? How did you start? I loved my preset settings on my D5000 (like the "sport" mode was my fave), but since I have bought a D7000, I am not as pleased with my pictures. I think this is because the settings aren't suiting what I like anymore :( I don't know how to even begin shooting manual. I did bring my manual for my camera - is this sufficient to start with or is there a book or a certain something I should work on (like a certain lighting situation etc). My photography friends are in MI, I don't have any friends in TN so no one to hands-on show me what to do...
From the moment I opened up my first DSLR (Nikon D40), I didn't allow myself to shoot in auto. I've only ever shot in manual, which has forced me to learn a ton from the very beginning.

I haven't read this whole thread, but when I have some time later I'll post up some things that have really helped me.

FG167

From the moment I opened up my first DSLR (Nikon D40), I didn't allow myself to shoot in auto. I've only ever shot in manual, which has forced me to learn a ton from the very beginning.

I haven't read this whole thread, but when I have some time later I'll post up some things that have really helped me.
That would be wonderful. I read an article that suggested everyone try shooting with P instead of M to start. Many other articles suggesting trying the A or S settings instead. But, I don't know how to do anything at all in manual so I was almost thinking straight M would be best so I would have to learn it all. I just do NOT know what I am doing! LOL

Grab

My last P&S had a lot of manual setting options, so I'd been used to using (and preferred) using manual mode before I got a DSLR. The very, very few times I've used an auto setting (if I just needed a quick pic with no time to fiddle) I'm never very pleased with it

Members online

No members online now.