Dealing with a dog being reactive

HayleyMarie

Like a bat outa' hell
Mitsu is actually not that reactive, only reacts to dogs who react to her, as in jumping, barking, growling. Otherwise she ignores or wants to just give them a friendly smell.

I've been doing the "look at me" game whenever a person or dog walks by, which is helping tons, but whenever a reactive dogs gets reactive towards Mitsu, Mitsu reacts back.

For example the other day we went walking by a Giant Schnauzer who was in the front yard tied up, and there was another schnauzer off leash running around and as soon as the Schnauzer saw our dogs she flippped, lunging, barking growling. And Mitsu started having a fit and wanting to get back at the dog, but not overly agressive.

But the good news is she got over it pretty fast and we walked passed a lovely lab who Mitsu just ignored.

But I wanted some other tips I can do, that Im not already doing.

GO!!!

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I would try 'look at that' versus 'look at me'. A lot of dogs seem to get nervous and more worked up when something is making them unsure and then you ask them to look away from what they want to react to.

ihartgonzo

and Fozzie B!
"Look at that" is wayyy more effective than look at me! :) I used to do look at me, and my dogs would be staring at me all wide-eyed and intense, TRYING not to look away, because they know that a dog is coming up. Look at that really breaks up the intensity and makes looking at other dogs less exciting than you. She'll learn to look at other dogs more calmly, which will in turn calm down the other dogs. Point and tell her to "look at that dog", then click/treat over and over as long as she isn't reacting. It's best to start doing this around calm, friendly passing dogs.

When you see a dog who is obviously reactive, you might want to practice BAT instead... it will teach her to utilize calming signals and that she can easily ESCAPE, rather than fight back when she encounters aggressive dogs. This is great for teaching dogs that they don't need to be confrontational.

~Tucker&Me~

"Look at that" is wayyy more effective than look at me! :) I used to do look at me, and my dogs would be staring at me all wide-eyed and intense, TRYING not to look away, because they know that a dog is coming up. Look at that really breaks up the intensity and makes looking at other dogs less exciting than you. She'll learn to look at other dogs more calmly, which will in turn calm down the other dogs. Point and tell her to "look at that dog", then click/treat over and over as long as she isn't reacting. It's best to start doing this around calm, friendly passing dogs.

When you see a dog who is obviously reactive, you might want to practice BAT instead... it will teach her to utilize calming signals and that she can easily ESCAPE, rather than fight back when she encounters aggressive dogs. This is great for teaching dogs that they don't need to be confrontational.
Great post, absolutely agree. BAT is awesome :) so excited to receive my DVD on it :D

RD

Are you dead yet?
Absolutely for the love of all that's holy, do not do "look at me" with a reactive dog. I agree completely with Erica.

With "look at me", you'll get an Eve, who perfectly stays still and watches me, muscles clenched, all her determination on ignoring the other dog and paying attention to me... Meanwhile, the other dog(s) is FLIPPING OUT trying to get her attention, and her complete focus on me and nothing else gets her attacked and pestered by other dogs quite often. You also have the issue of the dog's threshold for invasion of personal space. My dog will "look at me" up until the other dog is touching her and getting pushy about it, and then there is (to the owners of the "friendly" dog) seemingly no warning to my dog snapping.

"Look at me" creates stress and tension. "Look at that" relieves it!

Members online

No members online now.