Operation: Bike

AllieMackie

Wookie Collie
Well at this point I am hoping to bike on bike paths with no cars, only walkers, joggers, other bikers, etc. Definitely going to wear a helmet and I think gloves sound like a good idea.
I love bike paths. I can go my own pace and they're usually really scenic and gorgeous - here they take you to areas you wouldn't otherwise see.

the way most people drive these days, any place that is off road is a good bet. I avoid cars whenever I can. Between texting, talking, and generally just not knowing how to drive,or just not liking that a bicyclist is on the road, it can get pretty dicey out there.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I actually walk these places already but would be fun to bike them. The loop near my house is only 3 miles but the one further away is 7. There's also a good loop around the lake but I'm not sure how far it is.

My husband bought me a bike this year after 36 years of being bikeless. I tried... you know what they say, "just like riding a bike" and all. Let me tell you, I don't remember biking being so painful when I was a teenager. Not only that but I live in the same area I grew up in. Where the heck did all these hills come from? Flying down a hill is great fun, until you have to get up the same damned thing to go home, LOL.

Keep at it, it gets better. Maybe a decent stationary bike for the wintertime so you don't get out of practice. We have one of those things you attach your bike to that converts a regular bike to a stationary bike.

Walkers are far worse than cars. They stop, turn, and reverse instantly.

Helmets are good. They can help prevent you from cracking your skull when you slip on wet leaves or grass, ice, streetcar tracks, and flexis.

They are not designed to mitigate a head hitting the windshield of a high speed car. (their design speed is something like 10mph- ie the speed your head will be at when you fall). They might however be useful if that car sideswipes you, and you hit your head on the ground.

Snark

Mutts to you
Don't forget bike courtesy and loudly announce which side you're passing a slower person or walker. Aggravates me to no end when I'm out scootering with Riley and some bike geek whizzes by without any warning.

Members online

No members online now.