Fun snacks for a one year old?

Grab

In an eternal quest to give the boychild a varied diet, I'm always open to new snacks for him :)

He is a decent eater (most of the time) for a kid his age. He eats most of what we eat (unless we're eating something vastly unhealthy..then we give him a healthy option) and for convenience he does take the Graduates snacks to his daily sitter, since most come in little packages and I don't have to bother her with keeping containers together and such. Foods that are safe for dogs to eat are always appreciated, as he's learned the joy of feeding Goose:rolleyes: and thinks it is hilarious.

Paige

Let it be
Briggs is the best little eater. He will literally eat anything... but it comes to bite me in the butt when he tries to make his own dinner of laundry soap and dog food.

He eats:

Mixed veggies - carrots, brocoli, peppers, cucumbers, green beans, list goes on
Oranges -likes to peel them himself too!
Cheese
Grapes - cut up so not a choking hazard
Potatoes - seriously these in cubed slices = happiest Briglet alive
peanut butter bread
cream cheese bread
chicken
beef
pin wheel sandwiches

He never eats meals. I feed him snacks whenever Im snacking. He also has oranges out all the time because he loves peeling them and eating them.

I saw a really fun thing on the news today. You make fruit nachos. Take some pita bread and crisp it in the oven.

Shave some coconut so it looks like cheese, cut some watermelon so it looks like tomatoes, blue berries are olives, pureed strawberries are salsa, etc. You can get creative. Then let the kid make his own nachos.

Now that I think about it this probably isn't the best for a 1 year old, but I really don't know a thing about kids so I'm not sure what they really eat. Either way, it's really good for kids in general!

Romy

Taxiderpy
Quesadillas were always popular with the daycare kids and at home. Grill one up, and when it cools use scissors to cut into little bite sized strips. You can sneak stuff like shredded meat and veggies into them.

K

Kristen1980

Quesadillas were always popular with the daycare kids and at home. Grill one up, and when it cools use scissors to cut into little bite sized strips. You can sneak stuff like shredded meat and veggies into them.
Cardyn loves these!

She's a picky eater, she'll eat cheese cubes, mac n cheese, peanut butter n jelly, apple slices w/peanut butter, yogurt and chicken nuggets.

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
I'm sure I will be of no help lol. Hannah used to be a great eater and would eat just about anything. Then she went through a phase where she barely ate enough to keep a bird alive, as my dad would say. That also had to do with some constipation issues taht were ongoing. She suddenly became SUPER picky. Textures were a big deal. Anything with a skin? OUT.

She's now finally starting to try new things again and right now she must be going through a growth spurt because she's eating like a horse.

I know it's cliche to say now lol but I found a lot of really cute recipes on Pinterest :) like peanut butter and jelly roll sandwiches lol

B

Backward_Cinderella

Winnie loves peanut butter on toast, I cut it into little star shapes for her with a cookie cutter
Frozen veggies and fruit are also a hit
Grilled cheese sandwiches cut into shapes (I make her eat the crust, but I'm a jerk like that)
Right now, she thinks she's a dog, so when I give the dogs a "cookie" I'll cut a piece of bread or a tortilla with the dog bone cookie cutter and give her one too LOL
We do gramcrackers with peanut butter / cream cheese with bananas for eyes, and sliced fruit for the nose and mouth of an owl, she loves those
I have more but I have to think about it. :)

Grab

Thanks so much! I'll pick up some things to try some of these when I'm next at the store :)

He's a great snacker, but lately meal wise he only wants to eat those toddler spaghetti-os and oatmeal. So, I try to sneak small snacks in so that he doesn't turn into a large pasta ring.. I think he'll especially like the things involving cream cheese, but what do I know, lol.

zoe08

I am not very creative when it comes to kids food...guess I'm not a very fun mommy...lol

Mason is a very picky eater, I just tried these banana kale muffins to get some greens into him and he has really liked them: http://aspiritedmind.com/2009/06/healthify-your-muffins/ It has lots of options for substitutions, I did not put nuts in them either, mostly because I didn't have any handy, but for little ones that aren't supposed to have nuts yet, or for those who are allergic just leave them out.

Mason is very much a bread eater, rolls, banana bread, muffins, etc. He also loves granola bars. He likes snack food and wants to snack all day and not eat real food for lunch/dinner. So I have cut back a lot on the snacks and he now only gets 1 snack after nap time most days. And depending on what he ate for lunch depends on what kind of snack. If he didn't eat a fruit at lunch I make him have pears or applesauce or grapes or apples for his snack. If he did than he might get goldfish, crackers and cheese, fruit snacks, or sometimes cookies and milk.

Members online

No members online now.