Art is not stupid!! ^_^

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
OMG Artimis is such a cutie! I know I'm a bit bias, but this is adorable and I just kinda had to brag a bit that my dog is NOT stupid!

People think Artimis is a stupid dog because we couldn't teach him to shake, or he sometimes doesn't understand if we throw something straight it will land in that direction just a little further away. lol He's gotten much better on that by the way! ;)

He also does not understand he can CATCH things as they are thrown to him, he just lets them hit him in the face and drop to the ground and then eats them.

BUT we've proved them wrong! Art now has two very neat tricks under his belt!

If I tell him "go get me my shoe" he will go and grab MY sneaker (which is about his size rofl) and bring it up to my hand and let go. He will even jump up to put it in my hand! And then I tell him to get my other shoe and he grabs my other matching shoe from a big pile of shoes!

And if David tells him the same thing he will grab only David's sneakers! It's amazingly cute considering how small he is! :p He can fetch a bunch of other things now too, but the shoe one is most impressive! :lol-sign:

His other neat trick is to close the door. He runs and actually leaps off the door to close it. That is not a stupid dog! :)

I just wish I had a camera to show everyone!!

drmom777

Bloody but Unbowed
Babyblue, I have a smart dog who resists conventional training as well. The vet even calls him "The big, dumb hound", in an affectionate tone. If you throw a toy near him, he will let it hit him and then look thoroughly offended. On the other hand he will locate any one of my children in the woods by name. If his leash gets tangled around something he follows it around and untangles it.

I think it is a doggy form of ADD, where he will only focus on things that interest him.

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
Babyblue, I have a smart dog who resists conventional training as well. The vet even calls him "The big, dumb hound", in an affectionate tone. If you throw a toy near him, he will let it hit him and then look thoroughly offended. On the other hand he will locate any one of my children in the woods by name. If his leash gets tangled around something he follows it around and untangles it.

I think it is a doggy form of ADD, where he will only focus on things that interest him.
Art is the same way with toys! hahaha! :rofl1:

It's funny, I know he's not a stupid dog. You can just look at him at any given time and see his facial expressions and he's always always thinking about something! Hell, if I tell him he can't have something that is near his crate and he knows he will not get it if he goes directly for it, he goes into his crate to try and pull it INTO his crate with him! :rofl1: Funny thing is I usually don't notice until he already has it in his crate with him :p

I just don't understand how others don't see his true evil genius. :confused:

Sometimes I honestly think Kody is like... autistic.

He knows a lot of tricks, but he is very... on his own terms.

If I point at something, he WILL look at my finger, and then follow it in the direction of where I am pointing. But he also has slight SA and if you mess up his routine it noticeably messes with him.

My sister in laws dog OTOH, he's our version of the big dumb one. He always has to put his paw on your chest, and he always has to be hovering over your feet. And if you throw a toy to him he runs away from it.

yet he's smart and knows all the conventional- sit, stay, lay down.

Dogs are AMAZING creatures!

None of mine are typical, "easy trainers" lol. I've found, though, that sometimes the ones that aren't quick to take to traditional trainer are actually a lot MORE intelligent. They'll figure out things on their own and certainly have their own agenda and motives!

Like Art :D

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
WAy to Go ART. HE just too cool for ordinary dog stuff.

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog
jasper is much the same way...
couldnt teach him to sit on comand for beans...
that is untill i started making ruby sit for everything...
after watching her do it a few times he did it on his own, putting 2 and 2 together...

the way i see it is...the more inteligent the dog...the less likely it is to listen to you. i personally belive that while sight hounds scored the lowest in the doggy inteligence tests, there more inteligent than most...its not that they dont know how...they just think you should give them a much better reason too...
there inteligent enough to know to ignore us :p

Members online

No members online now.