I'm so scared

meepitsmeagan

Meagan & The Cattle Dog Crew
All the vibes in the world for Talon. I know I'm a little late to this, but still thinking about him!

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
Best vibes coming for Talon!

Immune Mediated Hemolytic Anemia? That's SCARY, but I do have an online acquaintance who is like the queen of IMHA. If that's it, let me know and I'll pm you her email.
We have two dog clients at our clinic that were diagnosed with IMHA...and they're still alive and kicking and doing quite well. So even if that is the final diagnosis, take hope!

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
If he has IMHA work very very very closely with your vet on treatment and push for treatment NOW.

I'm not saying this to scare you, you already Googled it (I made the same mistake at the time) so you know this. That is what Happy died of. The e-vet he was at when he collapsed tested for it, gave meds, and said the regular vet needed to development a treatment plan for it, but then the regular vet just... didn't. And my sister is not a very assertive person so she didn't push on it either. And a week later he was dead. Of course he was in really bad shape when they found out he had it so it's not the same, but if there's stuff indicating he has it now, don't let it go. Be assertive, definitely.

Toller_08

I'm sorry I missed this earlier. Very scary! I hope it turns out not to be too serious and just an allergy. :-(

Saeleofu

If he has IMHA work very very very closely with your vet on treatment and push for treatment NOW.

I'm not saying this to scare you, you already Googled it (I made the same mistake at the time) so you know this. That is what Happy died of. The e-vet he was at when he collapsed tested for it, gave meds, and said the regular vet needed to development a treatment plan for it, but then the regular vet just... didn't. And my sister is not a very assertive person so she didn't push on it either. And a week later he was dead. Of course he was in really bad shape when they found out he had it so it's not the same, but if there's stuff indicating he has it now, don't let it go. Be assertive, definitely.
This, definitely. It's treatable, but you MUST be aggressive and you MUST act NOW. The steroids are a good first step, but I'd be pushing REALLY hard for more details. We had a dog at the clinic I work at die from it recently, and one of my friends lost her dog to it a few years ago. BUT we had another dog at the clinic that recovered from it - but she had to go to the teaching hospital to get everything figured out. If I remember, she was on cyclosporine and prednisone FOREVER but eventually was able to wean off of it all. But she's no longer allowed to have ANY vaccines at all. None.

Fingers crossed that Talon does well!

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
My only experience with IMHA is with a cat patient. He's had a couple scary episodes where he gets pretty sick, but he's bounced back. He had a bad episode when I first started working there back in January but he's a-okay now. He comes in like once a month to have his PCV checked and he's on daily pred.

Good vibes to you guys.

tucksmom

*hugs* Still glad to hear you got to the vet, still thinking of you two and hope you get more news soon.

Brattina88

I know several cocker friends with dogs who've had it :(

{{{++++vibes++++}}}}} for good news!!!

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Oh man.... :(

I am wondering if this is the same thing my trainer's border collie has. I know he has an immune disorder and it's pretty serious stuff.

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the advice and good thoughts! :)

Talon's eyes are looking a lot better today. They are not nearly as bulging or swollen. They aren't completely back to normal but it's not nearly as drastic at least. :) He's feeling a bit icky today. He has been sleeping pretty much since we got back from the vet. Seems a bit wobbly in his hind end as well. I'm hoping maybe the prednisone is causing the lethargy?

At this point we are just waiting for tomorrow to see what the other tests say and hoping it's not IMHA. I hate the waiting, especially since Talon is obviously miserable right now. :(

Saeleofu

Side effects of steroids just vary SOOOO much. They never made Logan sleepy, but I have heard they've done so to other dogs. Logan just got ravenous and peed a lot.

Glad he's improving! The eyes and the blood may be two completely unrelated things, too, and just a coincidence they came together. But IMHA is basically an allergic reaction (an immune response) so it may be the same thing precipitated both. Has he had a vaccine recently?

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
We have two dog clients at our clinic that were diagnosed with IMHA...and they're still alive and kicking and doing quite well. So even if that is the final diagnosis, take hope!
This! We also have a dog with it at our clinic and she is in ALL THE TIME to run bloodwork and re-evaluate. She is doing great though, and seems better every time she comes in.

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
The closer it get's to bedtime the more nervous I get about tomorrow. I'm so scared the tests will show something terrible. :( He doesn't seem like himself right now. :( He's been sleeping all day, which I would've previously thought impossible for him. He puts his head up and it doesn't seem like he can even keep his eyes open. I'm so worried about him, it breaks my heart to see him so miserable.

Side effects of steroids just vary SOOOO much. They never made Logan sleepy, but I have heard they've done so to other dogs. Logan just got ravenous and peed a lot.

Glad he's improving! The eyes and the blood may be two completely unrelated things, too, and just a coincidence they came together. But IMHA is basically an allergic reaction (an immune response) so it may be the same thing precipitated both. Has he had a vaccine recently?
No he hasn't, he got his last set of puppy shot right before we moved up here (9 months ago) so he still has a few months before he get's a booster.

I thought about that, if that's the case we are lucky he had the eye thing. Hopefully if that's the case and it is IMHA we caught it early and it will be easily treatable.

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
Thanks guys :)

At the very least, I just fed him and he still has an apatite! ^_^ I swear, if Talon ever doesn't have an apatite it will be the day he dies (hopefully 20 yrs from now lol).

SaraB

Just seeing this now! Glad the swelling is going down. If they gave him an anti-histamine, that'll make him lethargic (just like if you take benedryl!). Plus if he's anemic, then yes, he's going to feel pretty crappy for a bit.

Eating is an awesome sign! Good boy Talon!

My brother's dog has a similar autoimmune disorder and had a scary low RBC count during a bad episode a few months ago. She's bounced back now and is as happy as ever.

Sending all of the good thoughts your way!

Members online

No members online now.