What is the most you'd spend on a collar?

What is the most you'd spend on a collar?

• Less than $10

Votes: 3 4.6%
  • Less than $30

Votes: 11 16.9%
  • Less than $50

Votes: 13 20.0%
  • Less than $75

Votes: 19 29.2%
  • Less than $100

Votes: 10 15.4%
  • Less than $250

Votes: 7 10.8%
  • Less than $500

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • $500 and beyond is still reasonable

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Zero dollars- I'd never pay for a collar

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Chicken Fajitas!

Votes: 1 1.5%

• Total voters

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
I had this conversation with someone last night, who apparently thinks I've lost my marbles when it comes to spending money on my dogs.

My response was that some people buy/collect shoes- I like collars and leashes :p

So, what is the highest amount of money you'd consider spending on one collar? Elaborate :)

SarahHound

Most I'd spend is about £25. I think if I had dainty dogs, I'd be willing to spend more, but the girls are just into rough play and dirt :rofl1: collars just get ruined.

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
I chose "less than $250." I eventually want to get Chloe a hand tooled leather collar which will be close to $200.

For my size dogs (the largest has a 14" neck), unless it was a really special collar, I'd stay under $125.

The most I've spent so far is $100 (Chloe's Dia de los Muertos collar).

Dekka

Just try me..
For me I can't see spending any more than 75. Seeing as I can get everything I want in style and quality for less. Sometimes MUCH less.

JacksonsMom

I selected less than $75. Not sure I'd ever actually go UP to 75. 60-65 is my limit right now - I paid about $65, I think, with shipping for the Paco collar and that was hard for me to do! LOL.

But I guess it would depend on the collar. Like, if it was REALLY really REALLY amazing... maybe I'd do an $80 one but I kinda doubt I'd pay that much.

Then again, if you asked me two years ago this same question, I probably wouldn't have paid more than $25, so I guess my tastes are changing and increasing too haha.

But honestly? My favorite collar, even though it's still a bit bulky for my tastes on Jackson, but material and quality-wise ... was a leather collar from etsy and it was around $35, I think. So, to me, more $$$ doesn't always = better per say.

JacksonsMom

I'm happy that smaller dog sized collars are cheaper than ones for larger dogs!
OMG yes this. I don't know what I'd do if I had a mastiff or something. They certainly wouldn't have as many as Jackson, but I'd probably spend good money for one really really good collar.

GoingNowhere

I can't see spending more than about $20-$25 on a dog collar unless I was given more money for the sole purpose of buying a collar with it. On Boo you can hardly even see collars anyways.

I get the foster pups' collars from the dollar store and they don't seem to mind! They have some cute ones occasionally too!

JacksonsMom

Also, thought I'd add, for the first year of Jackson's life, I always tried to get cheap things... ordered cheap stuff on ebay and stuff and ended up with a lot of crappy things that never ended up getting used, because... not just the fact that it was cheap in cost, but cheap in quality. So now I've learned to buy quality things and don't mind forking up the dough for something that's going to last him a really long time.

Dekka

Just try me..
Though I agree with buying quality. BUT a couple of my most hard wearing things were got at dollar stores.

katielou

Slave to the Aussie
I'm not sure.

I would be willing to spend i guess up to $100 but I'm not sure i actually would if that makes sense. I have yet to see anything i think is worth that much maybe.

Last edited:

Maxy24

I can't see myself spending more than $30 on a collar, it's just something I can clip the leash onto for potty breaks.

SizzleDog

Lord Cynical
Most I'll spend is $150... because that's how much Talla's collar will cost. (However, it WILL have hand-cast, completely custom brass conchos that cannot be bought anywhere else - so that's about half the cost!)

JacksonsMom

Though I agree with buying quality. BUT a couple of my most hard wearing things were got at dollar stores.
true. I guess it just depends.

Jackson has a collar from the dollar store that he wears a lot in the summer - it's fairly cute, like the width on him, and I don't worry about it getting too messed up or anything. Also use some ceramic food bowls that were from there that are actually really nice - and would've cost at LEAST $20 probably in a store like Petsmart.

So I guess it goes both ways, like anything. More $$$ doesn't always mean better, and less money doesn't always mean worse either. Wait did that make sense?!?

eddieq

Silence! I ban you!
Staff member
Less than $30. For me, a collar is something to hang her tags on and hook her leash to.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Like $5-$10. I can't do anything besides a martingale on my guys anyway unless I want a dog slipping his collar, and it's not like you can see their collars anyway, so. Right now they have coloured martingales from Premier that I got for $8.

I don't even spend that much on clothes for me. =P

Toller_08

That depends on where I am financially. At one point, I never would've spent more than $20 on a collar. Last year I spent $90, but since they were on sale I considered the collars to be $70 each plus $20 shipping (was a free shipping sale), haha. It just made me feel better about it. Now that I have those collars, I won't spend anymore than $50 on any more collars. I just can't justify buying more expensive collars when they each have one really nice one. Aside from some cute Christmas collars, I haven't bought any collars since I got their Pacos last year. In the future/for future dogs, I would buy them each a really nice leather collar if I could afford it. But if I couldn't, then they'd have to make do with something else... or wear hand-me downs.

Lizmo

Water Junkie
The Paco I like generally runs about $100, so. $100 is my limit. lol

CaliTerp07

$30...though I think the last one was $35. I just can't see justifying more than that on something that isn't really any more functional. When we go out (to the dog park, to agility), she wears a martingale leash since she can't have a collar to run, so no one sees fancy ones anyway. Even on walks, they're just for tags (we walk on a harness).

If my dog went lots of places, like came to school with me or did therapy visits all the time, or was otherwise in the lime light, I'd buy multiple collars...but as it is, I'm the only one who sees them (and even then I only sometimes see them, since she has so much fur!), so what's the point?

Members online

No members online now.