BC x Staffy, BC x Whippet?

Michiyo-Fir

I recently stumbled upon a sports breeder that not only breeds BCs but also breeds litters of BC x Staffy and BC x Whippet.

What is the purpose of these crosses?

I know in the flyball world some breeders breed BC x JRTs as well and I forget the reason too. I think they're faster somehow?

Can someone explain these breedings to me please?

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
BC x Staffy is a popular flyball cross as the BC x JRTs have reputations for serious DA.

Note this is in flyball circles with which I am familiar and not necessarily a widely-held belief...could be but I don't know.

ETA: the reason is to get a super-fast "height dog" -- the jump height for the entire team is determined by the shoulder height of the shortest dog so having one short speedy dog on a team of larger dogs (say BCs or Mals) is advantageous as they all get the lower jump height.

Michiyo-Fir

Are all 3 of these crosses for flyball?

Hmm I thought BCs are wickedly fast by themselves, I wonder if these crosses really excel over just plain old purebred BC.

I know in the agility ring almost all the winners and world team dogs are purebred BCs in that size range, haven't heard of a BC x Staffy or BC x Whippet yet...hmm.

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
Edited my previous post to add the reason for the Staffy and JRT cross...I don't know about the Whippet cross rationale and could only guess.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
These sports crosses are usually for smaller height dogs in flyball that are still as driven and fast as a BC, though borderstaffs are really not all that much smaller than a small BC.

Border collies can be kind of soft sometimes too. Borderstaffs (from the few I've met) are a combo of the drive and speed of a collie plus the tenaciousness of the staffy. I really honestly like borderstaffs.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
Edited my previous post to add the reason for the Staffy and JRT cross...I don't know about the Whippet cross rationale and could only guess.
Nothing to back this up, lol, but I assumed that the whippet could add a finer boned, speedier dog. Temperament wise though the BC is probably a lot easier to work with since they aren't generally as soft as the whippets.

elegy

overdogged
i want a borderstaffy ridiculously badly. they are FAST and not so soft as BCs. lighter frame than a staffy.

but yes, the goal is a shorter dog who is wicked fast. the height of the jumps for the whole team is set by the height of the shortest dog. there are several 3.8 and 3.9 borderstaffies in my area and i get all kinds of drooly when i watch them run.

Dekka

Just try me..
One of the most crazy drivey fast agility dog I know of is a border/staff cross. (the mom of the litter I believe went to worlds)

Agility people like these crosses too. The border/staffs seem to have tighter turning abilities as well as being 'harder' dogs. Also with agility you have height categories. So your border/staff will be competing in a different class than most BCs.

corgipower

Tweleve Enthusiest
Nothing to back this up, lol, but I assumed that the whippet could add a finer boned, speedier dog. Temperament wise though the BC is probably a lot easier to work with since they aren't generally as soft as the whippets.
I'm just guessing here...but maybe the BC would add biddability and handler orientation.

BostonBanker

Border staffs make me lust like little else can. The ones I know are super sport dogs, without the softness of many BC training wise along with being better jumpers, and as snuggly sweet at can be as pets. Most of them seem to fit in the same height class as the BC around here, but certainly hold their own.

I'd own one in a heartbeat.

Michiyo-Fir

Thanks for the explanations guys.

I've never seen a border staffy before but I'm thinking they're going to be amazing at disc. I'd love to see one and see what their temperament is like.

I do find most BCs a little too soft although I don't mind it much since my Pap is extremely extremely soft. Getting frustrated makes her completely shut down and refuse to do anything so I'm very used to training soft dogs. I definitely wouldn't mind a BC like dog but not as soft though!

Although I don't like the staffy's bone structure and just general structure as much as I love BC structure. They're just a little too heavy and too solid for my taste.

RD

Are you dead yet?
I didn't like border staffs at first, I thought the idea of the cross was dumb. I've since met a few and I think they're delightful little dogs, and the cross works out quite well for most sports.

I would totally take a small, black and white border staff with the staffy coat.

BostonBanker

I haven't really gotten to spend time around the border stacks as much; the two I know of competing locally seem much more border jack in temperament. Anyone have more experience with them?

Members online

No members online now.