Lab / Springer - Snarls or gets snappy - need some help

BluePoet

Hello,

We have a Lab / Springer who is 2 years old. He is a loveable dog but he has a tendancy to get very agressive at times. Majority of the times its when he is very comfortable and doesnt want to move or when he is wanting something or wanting to do so something and then he starts to snarl and growl. He has yet to bite but just the look he gives and the flaring of teeth is a little un-settling. We don't know how to break him of this habit or why he does what he does. The other day we had him outside while we were cleaning out the car, and he decided to go into the car. When we were done we tried to get him out and he went to the front of the car and started to show his teeth and snarl, its almost like a kid throwing a tantrum. If that makes any sense at all. Any thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated.

Sweet72947

Squishy face
Well, simply speaking, your dog is being a brat. If I were you I would look up NILIF (Nothing In Life is Free) and implement it stat. Basically your dog will have to work for everything (commands for food, etc.) And no furniture priveledges! He will have to earn them back in time. I would also reccomend you look up a good trainer in your area to give you some one on one guidance.

BluePoet

We've tried the off the furniture idea but then he will go into the corner and starting howling until we allow him back on then he gets quiet and happy. There have been moments where I wished I had a rubber band to keep him from howling. :0 Maybe i'll search around here and see if there is a good dog trainer and what they cost. We toyed with going with Petsmart or one of those places but wondered if we would really get good training there.

Sweet72947

Squishy face
It really depends on the Petsmart, some of them just hire people off the street. I would look into finding someone who has some experience with guarding issues (which is what your dog is doing, guarding HIS spot).

As for the howling, he's learned that being noisy gets him what he wants. You must ignore the howling, he will stop eventually (but it might take a while since he's learned it works).

BluePoet

I havent seen dog whisperer, is it a video? I may have to try the tough love and see what happens. I think Smexy is correct as well by the fact that I think the dog thinks hes the boss and we are living with him. For the most part he minds well, he just gets too protective of some things and my fear is one day he will bite and I want to try to stop it before it comes to be.

I'll make some calls and see what dog trainers are out there that can help with a dog who is guarding too much. When making these calls, what is some good advice to ask to make sure they are good at what they do?

BluePoet

We've had him since he was a puppy - we were at a GI Joes parking lot and a person was giving away a whole truck full of puppies. He caught our eye and well, here we are two years later and hes a lot bigger now. :)

bubbatd

There began the problem .......not your fault as you probably didn't know better . Most of those pups are not only from BYBs , but have never been socialized . You may have to start from scratch . Good luck !

Maxy24

if you have not seen the Dog Whisperer good for you, don't start now (no offense Smexy), he's not being dominant he's just doing what any animal (including most people) would do, getting away with as much as possible. He wants something so he sees what works, growling does. Be happy he warns you, if he didn't you wouldn't stop trying to pull him off of stuff and then you'd get bit. It does sound as though he was from a puppy mill or very poor breeder so he could have a tendency towards aggression (if you had a litter of puppies you cared about would you give them away to any person who happened to be in the parking lot? hopefully not, so chances are his breeding dogs were not of the highest quality)

What he needs to learn is a command that means get off of the couch and he has to learn that it is oober fun to listen to that command. He should get a place of his own though, some place for him to go when you don't want him on the couch. This could be a big comfy dog bed or a properly sized crate with bedding in it. Keep this in the room with the most furniture in it. Then it's time to practice.
Fill your pockets or a fanny pack full of small training treats. Take your dog's collar off (no more pulling!) and entice him onto the couch with a command like "up", when he goes up say "good boy" but nothing more. Now you have to figure out how to get him down. What works depends on the dog. You could lay on the floor on the other side of the room and make a strange noise, roll around on the floor, run around the room in a circle, run out of the room, pant like a dog (sometimes it works, I think they think you are having some sort of medical disaster), stand facing the corner completely silent like your possessed or whatever to make him come investigate (but don't call him, we want him to come off all by his own doing, not because you told him to) and as soon as he leaps off make the biggest deal out of it. "Gooood BOY!!" run over and give a few treats, lots of pats and happiness, getting off the couch is the greatest after all. Then again, tell him to get back on with "up" and say "good boy" then walk away and do it again or one of the other ones if the one you used before does not work and have the same reaction when he gets off. Once he starts doing it regularly, he'll jump off when you start to do the weird action add the command word "off" (not down, down is used to mean lie down, don't confuse him). Go and do the weird thing but as soon as he starts to jump say the word "off" and then praise as you did before with treats, and praise and pats. Soon he'll learn to associate the word off with you doing your strange thing and him jumping off. At that point you can stop acting strange and just say the word, use the same amount of praise though for a while.

Once he learns what "off" means and listens you'll stop setting him up. Now you keep your pockets full of treats and sit on the couch with him (if he's not on invite him up). Wait a few minutes (watch TV or something) and then tell him "off" (he may not understand that you saying "off" while you sit is that same as you saying "off" while you stand so if he does not listen while you are siting get up and ask again) if he ignores you go do one of the strange things to get him off. One way or the other when he gets off say "good boy!!" while you give him a treat and then go back to watching TV. If he is too close to you or looks like he wants back on the couch stand up straight and serious like and walk straight towards him saying "back, back" (not yelling, just say it normally) and when he's a good distance away, say "good boy" and go sit back down. Repeat until he stays away. Ignore him if he barks. If that's a real problem you'll want to teach him to go to his bed on command as well, but hopefully he'll choose his bed without being told. in fact you may want to often hide treats in his bed so he gets a super surprise for choosing to lay there.

No more pulling, I think if people started pushing and pulling me around like that I'd growl too (even though i know we all do it to our dogs), something like "you coulda ASKED" because dogs don't know we don't speak dog.

What sorts of things does he want that he starts growling about? Like when he wants food you have or what? Give me some examples so I can think about how you can handle this safely. I think he's just learned how to get what he wants, if it works he'll continue, the only complication would be if you ignored him whether he'd drop it or escalate. I think you'll need to work on some self control exercises too, are you willing to try clicker training?

BluePoet

We got a clicker but wasnt sure how to use it. Here are some examples of his bad behavior so to speak:

Dog Food - when we fill the bowl - he will raise the hair on his back and protect that bowl like his life depends on it. We have tried to hand feed him to show him that we doesn't have to be protective of the food but he still does.

Sleeping on the couch - if he is out cold on the couch and we sit too close he will start to growl and snarl and wont stop till we move away.

We use to give him some toast or something if we were eating but he would do the same and start to snarl so we quit the people food till he starts to learn its not okay to be protective.

We do have a dog bed and when he starts to growl and snarl we normally dont pull on him, mostly because of a little fear because of his look. Most of the time we can tell him off, go to your bed and he'll go to his bed but if you look at him while he is there he will snarl up and show his anger. There are some occasions where he wont listen to any commands.

I've had dogs when I was a kid and I don't remember it being this hard to train one but maybe as it was mentioned it was how the dog's parents were raised. Some great things to try though. I know when he really doesn't want to do something he will snarl and growl as he moves away. It's reminds me a lot of a child who is throwing a tantrum to get their way. I just haven't met a child I guess that has a menacing snarl. :)

Members online

No members online now.