tail docking help

sue29500

i have applied my rubber band on jack russell 4 day old dogs tail and has been in place for 2 days however the tail is bleeding around the banded area and i know to keep it very clean and sterile but i think that maybe the band is pinching the tail and causing it to cut in rather than just prevent the blood circulation, has this happened to anyone, my instinct is to remove the band but what is the outcome of both decisions hang in there and what will happen or cut of band???all advice is gratefully recieved

Giny

Oh my!:eek:

I know nothing about banding a puppy's tail for a dock but I would think that a call to the vet would be the first thing I'd do if the tail started to bleed. Young puppies only a few days old can't afford to loose any blood. Again, this is just my opinion since I know nothing on the subject.

mojozen

bullie lover
I have never ever understood docking by rubber band. I don't like docking to begin with... but jiminy... why use a rubber band? I'd like that explained please...

sue29500

the term rubber band is been used rather loosly, it is a band which is sold by vets soley for the purpose of tail docking for all livestock and is applied with an elastisiser device

R

RedyreRottweilers

I do use rubber bands when I tie my tails. I usually tie before the 4th day, however.

I have never had bleeding around the band. You should consult your vet.

CanadianK9

If you didnt know what you were doing in the first place why in the right mind did you do it. Get the dog to a vet and make sure everything is alright

Last edited:

sue29500

thank you for the reply redyre rottweilers and for the others who offer nothing more than unknowlegable, unqualified comments who know neither me nor my animals please express yourself where its needed, i am using this segment of the forum for its intent and purpose and if other members followed suit it would be a factual and helpful place to be!!!

Giny

Well, I never said anything against using a rubber band for docking. I've heard of it and have nothing against it but you'd think that if the tail was bleeding that the first thing I'd do, if I was the breeder, is to consult a vet BEFORE waiting on an internet forum for an answer.

Why not have your vet do it? Vets normally know what they're doing with docking and stuff like that. They're less likely to make a mistake, too.

R

RedyreRottweilers

fuzz puppy, that is a very good question, and I will give you my reasons.

Tail docking done at a vets is a highly stressful event for bitches. It is so stressful for them I find it hard to describe. No matter HOW you sequester them out in the van, with radio blaring, or whatever, they always know that something is happening to their babies, and they get FRANTIC.

Plus it requires a trip to a veterinary office where diseases can be floating around everywhere in parkinglots, etc.

For me, tying the tails at home, with no stress to the mom is INFINITELY better. I tie tails on the second day if puppies are vigorous. Puppies do not seem to notice at all. I do it right before it's time for them to nurse, and then put them on the bitch.

In 48 to 72 hours, tails are gone.

There are no stitches for bitches to worry, altho some will lick the bands a lot. This is generally not a problem, it just helps keep everything clean.

Obviously it practically goes without saying that banding must be done properly, puppies' tails must be observed properly, and puppies must be kept in SCRUPULOUSLY clean quarters.

You also have to make sure the mom is keeping the baby rears very clean, and if not, you might have to help her.

As I keep VERY close tabs on my puppies for the first week, (I sleep in the room with them, and literally don't leave the room except to go to the kitchen and the bathroom. No showers or store trips unless someone else is there) I would know almost immediately if a problem was coming up.

mojozen

bullie lover
An apology and another question..

RedyreRottweilers said:
fuzz puppy, that is a very good question, and I will give you my reasons.

Tail docking done at a vets is a highly stressful event for bitches. It is so stressful for them I find it hard to describe. No matter HOW you sequester them out in the van, with radio blaring, or whatever, they always know that something is happening to their babies, and they get FRANTIC...
Thank you for posting the how you do it Redyre. I realize now my "tone" was more harsh than it should have been. However, I do stand by my opinion that i don't like docking of tails (or ear crops) due to seeing the effects of what a bad docking/cropping looks like (and one was a rubber band one). But i was curious as to how it was done and why it is done at home vs going to the vet and at least having someone who *hopefully* knows what he is doing.

My one question is - wouldn't it be best for someone who isn't very familiar with tail docking to go to a vet until they learned the best ways to do so at home?

I apologize for my tone in my earlier message... it was uncalled for. :(

R

RedyreRottweilers

NP mojosen, it's hard to hear tone of voice here. :D

And yes, you need a mentor to teach you how to tie tails, so docking for those less experienced, or lacking someone to help, should have it done at the vet.

Ideally on the 3rd day, and no later than the 5th.

Members online

No members online now.