The dog musing/vent thread

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
The first month we had Abrams, Michael was home with him all day while I was at work. After that, he switched to a 9-11 hour work day 5 days a week with only a quick potty break over lunch. A few months after THAT he switched to a 9-11 hours work day 5 days a week with hit and miss potty break over lunch and it was dark (and cold) when I got home, so no outdoor exercise. Oh, and I lived in a two room apartment that was around 600sq ft.

He survived, I survived, he didn't self implode or destory my house, and he's a good dog. Granted, he isn't a Border Collie...but a Chessie isn't a low energy dog, either. :p

You'll do just fine, Laur. Anybody who can't see that doesn't know you.

Last edited:

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
Merlin (a destroy your house aussie) spent the first 9 months of his life. With his owner (the college student with a job)
in a 273 SQUARE FOOT STUDIO.

Dogs and their owners are much more adaptive than we give ourselves credit for.
You give more time/energy/thought to your dogs than easily 90% of the population lol you will make it work.

Get the dog you want. Life is short.

casey82

I agree with everyone else Laur. I know you from both forums. Look at it like this, how much excercise and effort do your nay sayers invest in thier dogs? I can with almost 100% confidence imagine you spend more time with yours. And hey, have they met Mia? She may be small but definately not an easy dog by any means. You'll do fine. Better then fine actually.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Thanks guys, you make me blush. :eek: Yes, they do pracitcally nothing with their dogs. I am sure that is a lot of it. So they can't imagine waking up, playing with the dogs, arranging schedule to let the pup potty, or doing any training at all with their dogs. Whereas I'd love to get to a point where I can do dog stuff pretty much every weekend and train a few times a week. I just don't think they understand my goals. I've tried comparing it to their hobbies (hunting/fishing and horses). I think they're finally starting to get that dog training is my hobby and something I'd love to spend a lot of time doing. I would not want to care for a horse or practice shooting a bow every day. Different strokes...

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
Laurelin You have pap's ... which to me are like "practice" BCs LOL. you will be fine, seeing all you have done with Summer and Mia (and I have known a few Paps in my time when I used to compete in agility and they aren't a walk in the park either!) I have all the confidence that you will be fine. You are smart, you will find a great breeder and you will be just fine.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
Juno's coat is starting to look kind of gross the last few months. She's very flaky and sheddy and it doesn't seem to shine the way it used to. I can't decide if I should check a T4 with her heartworm test, or if I'm being crazy. Her weight is becoming more difficult to maintain too...hmmm...

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
Juno's coat is starting to look kind of gross the last few months. She's very flaky and sheddy and it doesn't seem to shine the way it used to. I can't decide if I should check a T4 with her heartworm test, or if I'm being crazy. Her weight is becoming more difficult to maintain too...hmmm...
A T4 never hurt anyone and it'd give you peace of mind. :)

Paige

Let it be
You guys know what sucks? Walking a leash reactive dog, a puppy and pushing a double stroller with two screaming kids.

Paviche

Duuuuude.
We went to the park with Nolu, Cass and Bay today, and it was like... the best dog park trip ever. :eek: The boys had SO much fun, and Riff got to play in a body of water bigger than a kiddie pool for the first time, and omg he had a blast. I'm so excited to finally have a dog that loves water! He was all about that creek.

It's just a bonus that they're both completely passed out now :lol-sign:

Also, Bay is an absolute saint. She was so tolerant of Riff being the most obnoxious barkbarkbark dog ever.

Paviche

Duuuuude.
Riff has a puncture wound in his thigh. Because he's Riff and we can't have nice things. Poor puppy. :/ Luckily it's a very clean circular wound, and not *too* deep (although deeper than I would like to see... ouch.) Should heal up just fine with care, but I'm sure it doesn't feel very good.

Finkie_Mom

It's A Red Dog Revolution
So since the gate/rotate thing, Pen has been SUPER annoying. Cannot settle when he's not in the same room as I am. He's being exercised probably more than he used to in order to "make up" for the gate/rotate. But he just paces and whines and stares at me, even when Kimma is in there with him. I really am just so tired of this. My life has become so complicated (and Bubbles hasn't even come in to season yet - so Pen just started fighting Jari over her for no discernible reason) and I just want my Bubby back. I really do. I feel like a failure as a dog owner/trainer. It doesn't help that due to financial issues I've been having to work 14 hour days (not all at once thank goodness) so I'm just dead tired all of the time.

ETA - And I should mention that Jari is just fine when he's not with me. Just finds an antler or nylabone to chew, or relaxes. No big deal. Pen is just so needy, it's driving me nuts.

Toller_08

Journey and I started our Obedience class tonight. I always feel kind of out of place haha. Too advanced for the beginner class and not quite enough perhaps for a more advanced class (or not allowed, since beginner seems to be a prerequisite). In any case, it went well and I love taking classes. I just feel a little bad for Journ because for as happy and as eager as she is, she hates repetition and does not learn well that way and I don't want to take her zippy eagerness away from her. So while this class will be beneficial, I need to get creative and find ways to keep her happily occupied for the hour without tiring her out too much. But she did a really good job tonight! And totally showed up all the other dogs/people lol. Yay!

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
A T4 never hurt anyone and it'd give you peace of mind. :)
True! I just hate to seem crazy lol. But, when I told my boss today what I've been noticing recently, I didn't even mention the word thyroid and her first question was if we've ever checked a T4 on her. She had bloodwork done in December that included just about every value possible EXCEPT for a T4 :rolleyes: So, looks like I'll be running her (and the other 2 bozos) up to work tomorrow for a blood draw!

And then yes, if everything turns out normal I guess I've just created a flaky fat dog on my own. :p

SpringerLover

True! I just hate to seem crazy lol. But, when I told my boss today what I've been noticing recently, I didn't even mention the word thyroid and her first question was if we've ever checked a T4 on her. She had bloodwork done in December that included just about every value possible EXCEPT for a T4 :rolleyes: So, looks like I'll be running her (and the other 2 bozos) up to work tomorrow for a blood draw!

And then yes, if everything turns out normal I guess I've just created a flaky fat dog on my own. :p
If there's one thing I learned from Dr. Dodds, it's that just a T4 isn't reliable! I also don't know where you send your labwork but she's not had good experiences with certain reference labs as well.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
If there's one thing I learned from Dr. Dodds, it's that just a T4 isn't reliable! I also don't know where you send your labwork but she's not had good experiences with certain reference labs as well.
I was gonna do some sort of panel with a total T4, free T4, and TSH. Trying to get the biggest picture without spending the biggest amount of money :p All the panels with the antibody testing were a little more than I'd like lol. We use Idexx.

SpringerLover

I was gonna do some sort of panel with a total T4, free T4, and TSH. Trying to get the biggest picture without spending the biggest amount of money :p All the panels with the antibody testing were a little more than I'd like lol. We use Idexx.
She liked IDEXX! Good luck!

Julee

UNSTOPPABLE
Journey and I started our Obedience class tonight. I always feel kind of out of place haha. Too advanced for the beginner class and not quite enough perhaps for a more advanced class (or not allowed, since beginner seems to be a prerequisite). In any case, it went well and I love taking classes. I just feel a little bad for Journ because for as happy and as eager as she is, she hates repetition and does not learn well that way and I don't want to take her zippy eagerness away from her. So while this class will be beneficial, I need to get creative and find ways to keep her happily occupied for the hour without tiring her out too much. But she did a really good job tonight! And totally showed up all the other dogs/people lol. Yay!
Hand targets, leg weaves, wave, gimme paw, hokey pokey, spin/twirl, bow, sit pretty, hide your face...? All things you can do without being disruptive in between exercises to keep it from getting repetitive and boring!

Living with Bailey makes me only want one dog for dog/dog reasons. Because it's easier and happier and less stress. Living with Gabby and Buzz makes me WANT MORE for dog/dog reasons. Too bad money doesn't rain from the sky and free time is sparse. Gabby says she wants another springer, or a golden retriever.
This!

I could have like...four Heidi-dogs. And I would manage beautifully.

Members online

No members online now.