Freaking Bloody Ear!

About two months ago, Gambit got jumped at daycare, resulting in a few scrapes. Unfortunatly, one of those scrapes was at teh tip of his ear.

Those who have been there can already guess where this is going. Every time Gambit does a shake off, the ear opens up again. I thought I had it almost healed, then woke up this morning to find blood all over my bed.

Right now I have a bandaid over it, but I know that that isn't going to last very long. Short of superglueing his ear to his head (in my darker moments, it's been considered :p ) what can I do to help it heal?

It's not a bad injury, nor is it a lot of blood, so I feel foolish taking him to the vet for it. Also I need to take Lady Chesh in next week for surgery so money is tight. If the vet is the answer though, that's just what we'll have to do.

SaraB

The only thing I've found to work on my person dogs that cut their ear tips and patients at my clinic is to tape the ears down. Here is the method I use: http://www.6stardanes.com/ears.html

I generally have to tape for a couple weeks, changing the tape as necessary. Don't leave them untaped for too long or stop taping until it is completely healed otherwise that scab will just be shaken off again and you have to start over.

Saeleofu

Superglue isn't a bad idea. It's the same thing is tissue glue, and we have used tissue glue a number of times for torn ears. Now not gluing it to his head, but gluing the tear shut ;)

Alternately, taping or bandaging the ear down is your best bet.

SaraB

Glue hasn't worked here and I've used surgical glue. Dogs shake their heads HARD.. only thing that has worked for me is taping the suckers down.

Thanks for the suggestions! I think I'm going to use both the glue and the tape. Shaking off is his main way of blowing stress, and he does it a lot. Funny enough, though, he usually doesn't shake his head that hard, but that booty goes crazy! Then he stops and his tail is still going strong. Not wagging, just shaking. Odd one.

Members online

No members online now.