How often do you see Belgians

crazedACD

I see them a lot around dog events, but not so much day to day. Well..actually I see the occasional terv but there is a local breeder here. I've never seen a Mal or Groenendael in my store. I saw a Terv walking down the street in Chicago, and a Mal walking down the street in Boston. I don't usually see them out on the street around here.

I actually saw a Dutchie (I know, not related) at the trade show. Love.

I never see Belgians around here. :( This place is full of the 'generic' dog breeds, y'know the labradors, goldens, and bulldogs. There really are no less common dog breeds around here. I've seen a Malinois once, and that was driving past a dog training center while an event was going on (that I sadly didn't get to go to). The closest thing to a Malinois--or any Belgian for that matter--are the oversized German Shepherds that seem to be wandering around everywhere. :p

Now that I think about it, I really don't see Belgian anythings all that often. There is a Petsmart "trainer" here who lectures me every time I walk in to the store about how cruel I am for putting a prong or any other type of training collar on my dog, who claims he has a 120 pound Malinois. I've never seen this mythical beast, but does that sort of count? Kinda? :p

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
There were two Malinois that boarded in at work a few years ago. (Glad they don't anymore, those dogs were nuts! Or maybe just typical Malinios. Lol) I've also seen a lady walking a pair down the road when I head to work sometimes. We have a client that just purchased a Malinois puppy. He's ex-military and worked with one while on duty, so when his service was over he wanted one.

Other than that, I haven't really seen many in this area. Although I have seen a few ads on craigslist for maliwah dogs. :/

stafinois

Professional Nerd
Not because the dog is a mixed breed, because the dog is wildly inappropriate for that home.

OK, that makes more sense!

There are two other Belgians nearby. A lady in my club has a Terv. The next county over has a Malinois K9.

DenoLo

I run into a terv every now and then at petco, but that's pretty much it. I have a LOT of people ask if Lucy is Belgian, which kinda surprises me that people out and about even know what one is.

DJEtzel

I don't see many around here out and about, but there are two working line mals from a breeder in Lansing that are members at the park and I see one very frequently. They're expanding!

Maxy24

As far as I can recall I have never seen any type of Belgian (well maybe at the one dog show I went to several years ago but I don't remember). We really don't get very many unusual dogs in my neighborhood or my college town. Labs, pit bulls, Huskies, German Shepherds, Greyhounds, and the common small breeds as well are all I really see. I saw my one and only real live Doberman a few years ago.

MandyPug

Sport Model Pug
My friend has 2 groens. Then there was another groen in rally with us and another two that run agility at trials we go to. Then my other friend has a groen and a terv. And then a judge up in Calgary has 3 or 4 mals.

Aleron

Other than in my house...

I see a lot of Groens and Mals. I'm friends with a lot of Belgian people, we have multiple club members with Groens and one with Tervs at the local club, at the local performance place the owner has a Mal, one instructor has one and several students have Mals or Groens and there is a slew of Mals and some Groens at flyball. If I went to training every night at any of those three places, chances are I'd see other people's Belgians every night. Oddly I see less Tervs, although they are definitely the more popular hairy Belgian. And like Emily said, Mals are definitely gaining popularity (and in the wrong kind of way).

Now beyond a "dog person setting", I don't see Belgians very much at all. I have very rarely run into people who have one as a pet or knows someone who does.

I see far less of PyrSheps, no one else at the training club, performance place or flyball has even one. I see them at local shows a lot though. I'm pretty sure that there will be some PyrSheps at the Agility National :)

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I see far less of PyrSheps, no one else at the training club, performance place or flyball has even one. I see them at local shows a lot though. I'm pretty sure that there will be some PyrSheps at the Agility National :)
I hope so! I will be stalking them. :eek:

In my city there's me and my two friends that have 7 Mals in total, and one guy that breeds Tervs with the worst temperaments ever. I've never seen another Belgian here other than the ones I know. One time I saw a dog in the back of a truck that looked like a fluffy Mal, he claimed that he bred Mal/Husky crosses, but I haven't seen any more of those around.

MandyPug

Sport Model Pug
I forgot to add... There's also apparently a ton in pet homes around here. I get 2-3 people a week telling me about their "Malinois" and such.

Apparently here, anything pointy that's fawn with a black mask is a mal.

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
I've known one Mal personally. I had a customer a few weeks ago with a Mal.

One of our regular customers has a Dutch shepherd (I know, not the same exact thing :) ) that is her service dog. Awesome, awesome dog.
Wellll, Dutchies and Mals are pretty frequently interbred, and while they're not EXACTLY the same thing, I think many Dutchie owners would argue they're pretty close. I'm quite certain there's a little bit of Maligator in my Dutch. (She's my SD too, so that's pretty awesome.)

I never see any Belgians. I have met one, ONE Malinut in my entire life, and he was bad enough it made me not want to seek one out at any point. :p

Maybe I'm crazy enough to consider one in the future, but I'd be quite happy to just have a long coated Dutch as well.

Although, I do love the fluffy butt Mals. I think there's one or two in Michael Ellis' videos, I'd love to steal. It may be the one named Enzo, as a matter of fact, lol

Even at AKC shows, I don't think I've run into any of the Belgians, though I may just keep missing their breed ring.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Just about every time I go to Auggie's breeder's house and see her son's Terv...

There's a Mal who does agility around here and I see him pretty often. I have seen one other Terv doing agility but that's about it.

I don't see them out and about and I've never had one in a class.

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
Enzo is a bit large but he totally catches my eye. I was hoping Phendi/Jersey would throw some fluffy babies, extra swoon.

They're nutterfutz but ****, they're fun. :)

Members online