Play Fighting?

RobHedrick

All about the puppy love
Here's the rundown..

I have two pups: A Black Lab (about 15 weeks old), and a Chow / Ger Shepherd mix (about 6 months old).

Now right now my Shepherd is about 2/3 the size of my baby Black Lab (but he's growing so faaast), they both are the best of friends, but they love to play fight..

I have a question: Is it okay to let them play fight? They usually play tug-o-war with their toys and that leads into the roughhousing. 'Sometimes' my Black Lab gets a little too aggressive after fighting for a bit and goes a little overboard - he does this snarling violent like behavior (though Im not really sure if it's violent - he isn't aggressively biting her, just a lot of snarling / growling going on), it isn't like he's hurting my Shepherd, but it certainly gets my attention - which is where I reprimand him to let him know the boundaries.

Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks in advance for any advice, ~Rob :)

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Play-fighting is fine, but you must make sure that it doesn't get out of hand. If you think they are getting too rough, step in and break them up. It's better that they learn now there are certain boundries and that you have the final say in what they do.

But some dogs are just very vocal when they play. You will know without a doubt if it ever turns to the 'real' thing. The whole feel of the room changes.

RobHedrick

All about the puppy love
Zoom said:
Play-fighting is fine, but you must make sure that it doesn't get out of hand. If you think they are getting too rough, step in and break them up. It's better that they learn now there are certain boundries and that you have the final say in what they do.

But some dogs are just very vocal when they play. You will know without a doubt if it ever turns to the 'real' thing. The whole feel of the room changes.
That's exactly what I wanted to hear. I'm glad I'm doing it right. And I know exactly what you mean when you say "The whole feel of the room changes" - that makes perfect sense.

Thanks mate. :)

LabDad

Houston, Texas
My two boys go at each other like you would think that they are trying to kill each other. Teeth barred, snarling and barking but it's all just play. The only thing I worry about is one of them breaking a tooth when they lunge at each other but they seem to regulate the intensity on their own.
The only time I have to calm them down is when they get too loud or start knocking over furniture. :)

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
Some dogs just get loud when they play. My dog is extremely vocal when playing. When we roughhouse, he snarls and growls like he's trying to rip me to pieces. But in reality, he never even lays a tooth on me.

I wouldn't worry about it, as long as there's no actual biting going on.

neko12_48767

I love my dog Neko
My lab/chow and GSD play fight, but my lab/chow is older and will try to win, and he will grab her by the neko and throw her to the ground, and I will have to go and brake them up and tell them to play nice. and they play nice. just keep an eye out.

DanL

Our pug sounds like he's being murdered when he and the GSD get really rough. Our old dog gets very vocal and shows lots of teeth when she plays. We understand what all of their reactions and habits are when playing and can tell when things are going too far. Right now our older dog has become a lot more aggressive towards our 10month old GSD. If we are outside and playing or training, she will get in the middle and actually bite him on the rump or try to grab him as he teases her by running right by her. So I've been keeping a closer eye on here and correcting her for inappropriate behavior. She is devasted when I correct her, it's so funny, but she has to learn that I'm the one who is in charge, not her.

You have 2 young dogs, they are going to be rough and I don't think either of them are old enough to be really fighting. It's all play at this point.

Members online

No members online now.