Protective & agression with food

Chloe is really agressive and protective with her food. I can put my hand in her dish, and she never growls at me, but if one of the other animals, or my grandson get near her dish, she freaks. is there a way to teach her not to do that? I keep my grandson away now when she is eating, but I really don't like that behavior in her.

Thanks,
Dena

pitbulliest

Food aggression is a dominance behavior and your dog is doing this because he is correcting YOU for going near HER food. The alpha dog, being the top boss, always eats first. Do you make sure to eat BEFORE your give your dog her food? This is very important and alot of times people just ignore it as they don't see it as a big deal...but in reality, it reinforces your status in the pack and puts you above the dog.

By walking away when your dog begins to growl, you are letting her win over the situation and forfeiting her position in the pack as Alpha. The most important thing right now is reestablishing your position as top dog. Feed the dog last, always win when playing tug of war, etc. The best thing to do in your situation is to correct the dog when she is displaying food aggressive behavior.

This is a good site to help you out:
http://hem.fyristorg.com/smartwoodhills/dominant.htm

good luck

She never shows aggression towards me. I can put my hand in her dish, and she doesn't care at all. She shows aggression towards the other animals, and she did once to my grandson. I always correct her, but she doesn't remember the next time.

pitbulliest

Then in that case she has gained dominance over the other dogs. Change this by feeding the other dogs first, and by petting them first...and by giving them treats first.

There will always be a pecking order. One dog WILL have to be above another dog and so on...but this doesn't mean that they can't live in peace, and just as long as you're always at the top it shouldn't be too much of a problem. Also, try not to feed them in the same place if you can avoid it...

If the dog is showing aggression towards other animals ALL the time (not just during meal time), then you might have an animal aggressive pooch on your hands...in that case, its an entirely different situation altogether.

I don't know that you necessarily want to change the pack order among the dogs. If the other dogs accept it, then you can create problems by trying to artificially change it.

Your grandson is another matter entirely. When he's going to be with you, make the opportunity for HIM to feed Chloe - under your strict supervision, including, if necessary, holding Chloe back from her food until he has the chance to put it out for her. Have him run her through some obedience exercises (sit, lie down, come). I didn't see anywhere that you mentioned his age, but even a very, very young child can do this with adult supervision.

Of course, it's always a good lesson for children to respect an animal - especially when it's eating. Just make sure your grandson understands the difference.

Thats so true Renee. I tell him that he needs to stay away from Chloe's food!!!! Period!!! I do want to work with her on this, however, because there may come a day when someone elses child puts it hand in her dish, and I may not be right there. She has snapped & snarled with my grandson. When he gets a little older, I will let him do some obedience training with her. He's only 2 1/2 now.

As far as her dominace over the other animals, they seem to respect their place with her. I just make sure that everyone gets their chance to eat in peace, with Chloe not around. She's a brat!!! I love her though!!

Thanks,
Dena

Members online

No members online now.