Kelpies

JennSLK

F150 and a .30-06
What are they like? Good with kids? Other animals? Assuming they are well bred and well raised of course ;)

Does anyone know of any good breeders? Anywhere in North America.

No I'm not looking for now. They are a breed I have always liked but never really learned much about. The next dog is already planned as is next next dog (lol) so next next next dog is FAR in the future, so Im just wanting some info.

ETA: The Kelpie Vs ACD?????

MandyPug

Sport Model Pug
Generally the ones I know are good with kids. They're high drive and very energetic so they need to work and/or play sports. They do fixate on motion and are born to do something so get rather excited for activities of high value to them.

They can be softer and somewhat sensitive but also stubborn and they will push the limits. They're fast as stink and very biddable.

Loud barkers who enjoy making a variety of noises but are pretty reasonable about it if you're consistent with rules.

All the ones I know are fine with other dogs and cats. They are motion sensitive and will chase though.

Disclaimer: this is based on actual working kelpies from one specific australian working kelpie breeder. If you want a dog to show, they're pretty different in my experience. Similar to a lot of other show line herders in that they get watered down and structure is different.

JennSLK

F150 and a .30-06
Thanks Mandy. Can you PM me the breeder?

IF I did go with one Im not sure wich direction I would go. I know I woudnt be happy with a extreem working drive, but probably a show line with working titiles. Who knows lol

MandyPug

Sport Model Pug
Thanks Mandy. Can you PM me the breeder?

IF I did go with one Im not sure wich direction I would go. I know I woudnt be happy with a extreem working drive, but probably a show line with working titiles. Who knows lol
The working ones are not going to be CKC registered/registerable just so you know. There's a way but its a lot of hoops. So show kelpies would be probably the only ones that would work for you.

The breeder I know dogs from breeds working dogs with higher drives for work on ranches daily with cattle mostly. He very rarely sells to sport homes and would probably never sell to be just a pet.

You've got to really think about why you want a kelpie. What do you plan on doing? They're not really a "just a pet" kind of breed IMO, you have to be doing something with them or its going to be a disaster.

JennSLK

F150 and a .30-06
Yeah I'm not sure if I would make a good Kelpie owner, but thats why you research.

So would you say they are more or less intense than a ACD?

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
I haven't met any kelpies, but ACDs sound edgier with other dogs and kids than how Mandy described kelpies.

It depends a LOT on lines in ACDs, and the showline ACDs are usually milder, but it's well known that the breed can be iffy with other dogs of the same gender and waaay too many end up in rescue because they try heeling the kids or they don't love everyone who walks in the door.

I am very interested in reading where this thread goes. They are a breed I have plans on getting sometime in the nearish future. I've been doing a lot of research lately on working line breeders. But don't really have anything to add to this thread other than I'm wanting to learn more and more and more! :)

JennSLK

F150 and a .30-06
I need a dog good with kids. Doesn't have to want to play fetch or anything like that but must be safe with MY kid. Im quite happy if the dog does not like every stranger in the home. Thats one thing I love about the Dobes ;)

I guess I'm more worried about them being too much dog, energywise, for me. I dont want a board destructive dog because I couldn't keep up with it.

MandyPug

Sport Model Pug
I should clarify. They're good with kids in that they're not going to eat them. They seem to range from playful with them to basically ignoring them. A lot is probably training and exposure too.

HayleyMarie

Like a bat outa' hell
One of my best friends has a working Kelpie, Great dog! She works sheep and cattle with her on her ranch. She is very high energy, but she can be a house dog and settle. She is not on the softer side, but is very stubborn and harder. And like Mandy said. She does fixate on things, especially the sheep and cows. She will tire herself out just watching them all day if she was allowed.

She is a very sweet girl and great with kids. Has a great play drive. I love her to bits. But be warned you will have a hard time finding a Kelpie breeder that does health testing on their dogs. And she is a working dog through and through. I love her.

JennSLK

F150 and a .30-06
Thanks Hayley. Im OK with lack of health testing in a working line dog. As long as there is good longevity behind with healthy working dogs.

Airn

I will start off by saying that I have a rescue. Gwen is PROBABLY a Kelpie. As far as I've read she identifies with the breed and I think most people have no qualms with me saying she's a Kelpie. But she's not from a breeder, so take everything I say with a grain of salt, I guess.

I will agree with what others have said about the breed.

Gwen LOVES to have something to do. She is a Velcro dog. They are extremely loyal. She follows me everywhere and likes to know where I am and what I'm doing at all times. She is wary of other dogs and strangers. She loves to chase things. She perfers to be with me rather than playing with other dogs. She will play, she'll just be aware of where I am and make sure no one else is getting my attention. :rofl1:

She doesn't really bark. I taught her to bark when she wants outside and occasionally she'll bark if she sees something outside/at other dogs. She whines a TON. I have never met a dog that is more vocal (besides barking). She scoffs at everything, sighs constantly and whines like a big baby. (She also does this weird boofing thing?) :D She wants a lot of attention, but after a few nudges and expectant stares, she'll be happy to lie down by my feet.

I think she would be amazing at several dog sports, if I had the time/money/interest to do them. She's an extremely quick learner and aims to please. Also pretty food motivated, as well as attention motivated. The few things I've taught her, she's excelled at. But she also knows how to work the system and can be pretty sneaky. :cool:

She's a little crazy but I love her :) And, again, I'm not sure how much is just Gwen and how much is the Kelpie in her.

I don't know much about ACDs but from what I've heard/seen ACDs tend to be a bit more mouthy than Kelpies. Gwen doesn't bite. Even when she's chasing something (trying to herd?) she doesn't try to 'motivate' the chasee by her mouth. (Also not very vocal.) She WILL bark when she has something cornered or stopped, though. She gets frustrated and isn't sure what she should do next, so she barks and paces. Pretty sure that's from lack of training, though. I'd love to get her on some livestock.

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
Izze, my working-line ranch bred ACD would work cattle all day, moving them around until she killed herself if I had let her. She was VERY drivy but could settle in the house (I make it easier for them by always make coming into the house "calm time". No playing or rough housing is allowed inside).

I have never met any kelpies in person, but all I have read about them suggest they, as a whole are a "softer" dog to train then the ACD, which has a tendency to challenge you ("what r' ya gonna do if I DON'T do it?") & sometimes need a "mommy means business" look LOL :lol-sign: . Kelpies also seem (though like any dog this may very from individual to individual) more accepting of strangers then the ACD.

I have actually toyed with the thought of "trying on" the kelpie back when I was looking for a puppy ... but Josefina dropped into my lap LOL.

Members online

No members online now.