Big .VS. Small

Hello... I'm getting a new puppy soon, to my delight. All hail the lovely puppy breath. :hail:
Anyways.. I can't quite decide whether or not I want a big or small dog. If I get a small one, I would prefer a Yorkie//Yorkshire Terrier. Big, I think I want a Lab, maybe Siberian Husky, maybe a mix or rescue. Something like that.
So I was wondering- small, or big? Which would you prefer?
(and how do you make a poll? hah) Also, which would fit me best?

ETA: I would like to travel with a dog (small) but I just want something new, a big dog, since I already have small ones. I have a big backyard with trampolie&swings, and am going to take the pup on a 30 minute walk daily.
Always be playing with him or her, 24/7. I want to hold one in my arms but then again I would LOVE (no, bump that, ADORE) to lay down on a big dog and with it. Ahh the joy. So which one?

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I think it just depends on what you want with a dog and what fits your lifestyle.

Me? I prefer small to medium breeds. My 'ideal size' is about 20-50 lbs. Shelties are the perfect size for me.

That said I have 3 toy dogs, but paps don't really count as little dogs because they don't act like them! :D

ETA: Also, size and energy level are two very different things. My toy dogs are MUCH more active than most big dogs I know. My newest papillon is not content with a 30 min walk a day. She needs much more than that.

lizzybeth727

I agree, some of the lowest energy dogs are the biggest breeds - greyhounds, saint bernards, etc. So they don't seem to take up as much space.

Do you already have small dogs? IF so you'll definately have to take that into consideration - you don't want a dog that's too big and will hurt them.

Maybe if you tell us something about your lifestyle and what you are looking for in a dog, we could help you narrow down a few breeds. Things like who lives in your household (kids, other pets, etc.), whether you'll be moving soon, whether you mind shedding or potty accidents, would you rather train or cuddle, will you be able to do dog sports (agility, tracking, flyball, etc.), do you have a fenced-in yard, and any other info you can think of that might be important.

since you said the small dog you were looking at was a yorkie... you should know that they are yorkshire TERRIERS... therefore they have ALOT of energy they arent just a cute ball of fur, they are a cute ball of fur that needs exercise, stimulation, etc.

other then that of course I am going to vote small dog (yorkie)... I mean no one on here would expect anything less of me :p

Maxy24

I'm a big dog person, I like big goofy clumsy dogs who sit on you and smother you, they make me laugh. I just have not had great experiences with little dogs, they are too fragile to me even if they are not physically fragile they just seem it because they are only the size of my hands. I like dogs who I can rough around with and I simply like the look of large dogs, I don't want a lap dog. But other people cannot decide what you want, but if you think you want a change go for it. Check out some shelters and fall in love :D

Lablver2

Belgians Mom
Alot of people reccomend labs with small dogs but honestly i really don't. I have seen to many labs being their clumsy self and step on little dogs. Field bred labs that i have met have a very strong prey drive ( of course the ones with that strong instict i am suspicious of their formal training and where they were bred) I rescued a rabbit one time and my boy went off. He hated that thing. Belgian is really good with little dogs if they are being held otherwise he wants to play and his big paws are bigger then the little dogs head. Labs shed alot and especially the ones that come from American/field lines they are hyper and need alot of excersise. This is why labs are the second most common breed in shelters. Thay also have alot of joint problems and are prone to bloat among other health issues like obesity.

Remember labs can easily go about 100 pounds. I agree with Hillside. Go with a medium breed. Maybe a sheltie or a beagle.

another thing about big dogs. Not all of them like to be layed on. they want to be petted but i know mine especially doesn't want you to be laying on him. you can smother him in kisses and hugs but he won't let you lay on him unless your under the age of 7.

Especially dogs who have joint problems don't want you to lay on them

bubbatd

I'm a big dog person having had Goldens for 60 years .....All mine have been couch potatoes and very good with any size dog . Maybe someone will post the link to the site that narrows breeds down to match owners . Since you're new , I will say that my current dog Ollie is a Petfinder dog ....1/2 Golden and we think the other 1/2 Chessie . Just a 100# curly Golden look alike !

Thanks for all the comments!
The only pets I have are two dogs, and a teen and a pre-teen (a 11 year old and 14 year old) and they really are great with dogs. I'm not going to be moving soon, but we may move to a Condo on the beach in maybe three or four years, so that's where I'm not very considering a big dog since they won't allow big ones there. I don't mind shedding 'cause Allie does it all the time and a lot of it, too! I also don't mind of potty accidents, mostly because im not the one who cleans it up... :D
I would rather cuddle and don't desire to put the pup in sports. Yes, a fenced in yard and I would never unleash the pup on walks and always check if the gate is closed.
Ah... this all points to a small dog.

bubbatd

There's a dog that's perfect for you at a HS or on Petfinder.com ! What you see is what you get !

petfinder . com

Already addicted....:hail:

This is what my house is right now:

*Click* "Awww!" *Click* "too cute!" *Click* :yikes: "I want that one! Oh please please please...." *Click* "NO, I want that one!!" :popcorn:

Haha... along with the music blaring from the TV. :rolleyes:

Members online

No members online now.