UGH! The Pet Pad makes me sick!

Melissa_W

Ok... So, as of now I have to drive like 25 min to get Kai's food, so I was looking for someplace closer. I searched around and bit and found a place about 10 min away that sells Innova, Eagle Pack, Canidae, et al. I went to go check it out today, and they will NOT be getting one cent of my money! I would drive 500 miles to get his food before I would buy from this hell hole!

The place was full of "designer dogs". Mixes I've never even heard of. Cairmals, Cavalons, Papipoos, Pomchis, all looking so sad in their little cubicles. :( They had some purebreds too, including a little merle Sheltie. :mad: It was cute as a button. It had a "new arrival" sticker on the front of it's cage, and it looked so frightened. It was just sitting in the back of the cage shaking. I wish I could save him, save them all... It's just horrible. I got so mad and so sad at the same time... by the time I got to my car, I had tears in my eyes.

There had to be 20-25 dogs there, all different breeds and mixes, and they all come from one "breeder". Or I should say puppy mill. :mad:
http://www.petpadpets.com/pp-Meet-Our-Breeder.htm

I'm just so pissed, I'm ready to stand outside the store and protest. Even if I have to do it all by myself! Seriously, I want to get this place shut down. :mad:

Love That Collie

Owned by 2 Rough Collies
Ok... So, as of now I have to drive like 25 min to get Kai's food, so I was looking for someplace closer. I searched around and bit and found a place about 10 min away that sells Innova, Eagle Pack, Canidae, et al. I went to go check it out today, and they will NOT be getting one cent of my money! I would drive 500 miles to get his food before I would buy from this hell hole!

The place was full of "designer dogs". Mixes I've never even heard of. Cairmals, Cavalons, Papipoos, Pomchis, all looking so sad in their little cubicles. :( They had some purebreds too, including a little merle Sheltie. :mad: It was cute as a button. It had a "new arrival" sticker on the front of it's cage, and it looked so frightened. It was just sitting in the back of the cage shaking. I wish I could save him, save them all... It's just horrible. I got so mad and so sad at the same time... by the time I got to my car, I had tears in my eyes.

There had to be 20-25 dogs there, all different breeds and mixes, and they all come from one "breeder". Or I should say puppy mill. :mad:
http://www.petpadpets.com/pp-Meet-Our-Breeder.htm

I'm just so pissed, I'm ready to stand outside the store and protest. Even if I have to do it all by myself! Seriously, I want to get this place shut down. :mad:
I hear ya!! We have a pet store (and I use that loosely) across the street from work and it's the only place most of the time that sells those chewies made out of strips of pig ears tied on both ends. They have the same set up as you describe except not as many mixed breed, so-called designer "breeds" and I couldn't stand to see them. Several of the Cocker Spaniels looked to be around 4 to 4 1/2 months old in those cubicles! Another, a lab weighed at least 35lbs. Looked like they had grown up in there. I won't go there anymore even though they are across the street. When I can't find the pig ropes at the two other only pet stores in the county I have my mother mail me some. She lives 100 miles away.

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
That is awful :( Thanks for not shopping there, though... if people stopped supporting these places, they would have to close down. I would never support a petstore that sold puppies or kittens.

Road dog

Roxy and I went Christmas shopping last weekend. Our mall has a petstore that sells puppies. We were at the mall for aproximately four hours and during that time saw five "christmas puppies" heading "home". It was disheartening to say the least..

krisykris

I think pet stores that sell puppies are horrible, but a big part of me thinks they'll never shut down.

The pet store I bought Bentley from **before I knew better**, has been around in my mall since I was 5 and they have had no shortage of great success. AND what makes it even odder is that no one that I see there buys any sort of supplies other than live animals and what they need to start out w/them.

I think the instant gratification of a "new best friend" overrides a lot of peoples common sense. They might know all about puppy mills but tell themselves they're saving that one puppy... or they might not know and do it out of ignorance.. or they may just flat out not care at all.

I see so many puppies come in and out of that store at astronomical prices. Just last week I went in to check things out and played with a baby maltese who was terrified, btw and just out of curiosity asked the price.. and the answer was 1900! I could not believe it.

Sharon served on a special Governor-appointed Kansas Pet Animal Advisory Board. This board was instrumental in keeping Kansas the healthiest state from which to purchase pets.

I'm from Kansas, I hate that this state has such a bad reputation for puppy mills :( If this statement is true, no wonder we have problems, if puppy-millers who sell to pet stores in freakin' north carolina are part of a state government "animal advisory" board...

...and since when is Kansas the healthiest state to purchase pets? I never heard that before

Melissa_W

I think pet stores that sell puppies are horrible, but a big part of me thinks they'll never shut down.

The pet store I bought Bentley from **before I knew better**, has been around in my mall since I was 5 and they have had no shortage of great success. AND what makes it even odder is that no one that I see there buys any sort of supplies other than live animals and what they need to start out w/them.

I think the instant gratification of a "new best friend" overrides a lot of peoples common sense. They might know all about puppy mills but tell themselves they're saving that one puppy... or they might not know and do it out of ignorance.. or they may just flat out not care at all.

I see so many puppies come in and out of that store at astronomical prices. Just last week I went in to check things out and played with a baby maltese who was terrified, btw and just out of curiosity asked the price.. and the answer was 1900! I could not believe it.
I know what you mean. There will always be people out there that will buy a dog from a pet store on impulse. It's the few that do that allow these places to keep their doors open. So sad. :(

Sharon served on a special Governor-appointed Kansas Pet Animal Advisory Board. This board was instrumental in keeping Kansas the healthiest state from which to purchase pets.

I'm from Kansas, I hate that this state has such a bad reputation for puppy mills :( If this statement is true, no wonder we have problems, if puppy-millers who sell to pet stores in freakin' north carolina are part of a state government "animal advisory" board...

...and since when is Kansas the healthiest state to purchase pets? I never heard that before
Oh, I know... it's such crap! They're trying to come off all reputable... and people actually fall for it! :confused: Ugh!

That pet store's website is slick. Pet stores deserve to survive in all their loathesome glory - they've been hugely successful at adopting the language of responsibility for their products, while animal people have succeeded only in educating the educable and then dropping the ball. A group whose cause involves puppies should be able to win mass public support for legislation to kill off the mills and starve the pet stores. What happened to the animal welfare activists?

Melissa_W

AW CRAP! I JUST missed a protest on Dec. 16th. :( But I'm new here and didn't even know about this place until yesterday.

http://www.awarenessday.org/

Join the NC division of the Puppy Mill Awareness Day Organization for a peaceful protest against The Pet Pad on December 16th in Cary!!!!

Place: The Pet Pad is located in the Trader Joe’s plaza at the corner of Kildaire Farm Road and Cary Parkway.
Time: 10:00 AM to 1:00 PM Saturday, December 16th

The Pet Pad formerly known as PetLand (Petland is notorious for dealing with puppy mills) sells puppies they claim to purchase from “breeder” Sharon Munk or BJ & Guys Kennels. Sharon Munk is actually licensed with the USDA as a breeder and broker in Menlo, Kansas. She farms and brokers puppies!

Puppies do not belong in pet stores or in the mills that produce them! The holiday season is the perfect time to bring awareness to the pain and suffering of the puppy mill dogs. Please come out and help The Awareness Day Organization educate by handing out brochures and getting our message out…NO MORE PUPPY MILLS!!!!
I so would have been there!

I also didn't realize that Petland changed it's name to The Pet Pad. That explains a lot.

Dreeza

ugh, its the same thing as Petland...enough said. When i walked in there for the first (and last) time, I walked in, saw the puppies, did a 180 and just walked out...

those poor lil puppies :(

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
Petland is awful, Drezza. We have like 5 stores in a 20 mile radius. A friend of mine always goes in and plays with the puppies... I just hope that she doesn't buy one some day on impulse.

From the Pet Pad ad for the Sheltie:

"Shelties are very bright and sensitive dogs. They live to please their human family. Because they are obedient and quick to learn, the Sheltie is a great first dog for people. They can be timid and shy of strangers. May bark a lot."

Wow, that's chutzpah. A pet store caters to indiscriminate sales of puppies on a mass scale, driving a demand for puppies bred for quantity instead of quality, quality drops, and the pet store incorporates that low quality - that shyness/timidity - into their sales pitch as if it was a simple feature of the breed. It's breathtaking.

Melissa_W

From the Pet Pad ad for the Sheltie:

"Shelties are very bright and sensitive dogs. They live to please their human family. Because they are obedient and quick to learn, the Sheltie is a great first dog for people. They can be timid and shy of strangers. May bark a lot."

Wow, that's chutzpah. A pet store caters to indiscriminate sales of puppies on a mass scale, driving a demand for puppies bred for quantity instead of quality, quality drops, and the pet store incorporates that low quality - that shyness/timidity - into their sales pitch as if it was a simple feature of the breed. It's breathtaking.
Oh, I know. :mad:
This is from the AKC website:
The Shetland Sheepdog is intensely loyal, affectionate, and responsive to his owner. However, he may be reserved toward strangers but not to the point of showing fear or cringing in the ring. Faults-- Shyness, timidity, or nervousness. Stubbornness, snappiness, or ill temper.

Members online

No members online now.