Resume Help...for my dad

Maxy24

So my dad is a 58 year old carpenter. He worked with the same company for like 30 years until the business went under about 4 years ago. He was out of work for a while but did some side jobs for cash. Then one of his friends/former co-worker said his new boss was hiring and would put in a good word for him. So he got hired there. He does not like where he works at all. In his former job he got to build mansions, BEAUTIFUL homes and businesses. Stuff he was proud of. When we're driving he'll often point out the fact that he built that building or a mansion on that street. But his current boss has them do very low quality work and cut corners to make things cheaper. My dad is basically appalled by what his boss does and ashamed of the work. He also gets terrible pay and no benefits or vacation and thinks his boss is a terrible person. So anyway, he needs a new job.

He has never made a resume and hasn't had an interview since he was in his twenties. He has no idea what to do and is sort of terrified of the whole thing and embarrassed because he doesn't know what he's doing. He also worries that at his age no one is going to hire him. In any case I was wondering if anyone had any advice for him when it comes to writing a resume and job hunting in this field. Advice on where to look for openings would also be appreciated. He keeps putting it off because he's lost, but he really needs to make this change.

I'm trying to help with a resume. One issue I have is the education section. He hasn't had any further education since high school, but I've never seen a resume that doesn't include this section. What should we do for that?

Snark

Mutts to you
List the high school but heavily emphasize his experience in the field, the things he can do, and the high standards he maintained at the company where he spent most of his life. At an interview, tell him to emphasize his willingness to work. (You'd be surprised how some people going into the workforce don't really want to work or have spotty attendance records or spend a lot of their time on their phones. One genius at our company didn't stop texting even after the CEO of the company stopped and asked her what she was doing.)

Your dad lost his preferred job through no fault of his own and has a very good reason for seeking different employment. Even though he hates his current job, it's better to be looking for another job while still employed.

I'd also go online to look for resume help, just to see what might be a good 'hook' to get an potential employer to look at him, and to get some tips for getting through an interview.

milos_mommy

If you look for free resume builders online, all the ones I've seen ask if you have experience in the field or are looking out of school.

Basically, whatever is most relevant is what you want to highlight. Usually you put the jobs in most recent order, but if one job was much more relevant/longer, you could put that first.

You could also do one which lists relevant skills at the top, then prior work experience, and high school at the bottom (just so employers know he did graduate high school).

I'd Google sample resumes. Many of them should have a layout of work experience before education.

Members online

No members online now.