Swimmer's Ear

BigDog2191

Big German Shepherd
Anyone ever had it? It's soooo annoying... and it also starts to hurt really badly.

I called a doctor and he recommended some liquid and tablets to make it go away. What's weird is, I've been swimming plenty of times and it's never happened then all of a sudden.... SWIMMER'S EAR!

Hate it.

I've read that it's a fungal infection. I never got it, even though my Mom had to fish me out of the pool every night - with borderline hyperthermia, no doubt. My lips and underneath my nails were always blue, but I'd be protesting that I wasn't cold ;) I'd actually never heard of it until we moved from the West Coast.

Barb04

Super Moderator
I always try to get all the water out of my ears after swimming because that happens to me. Even after I take a shower, I gently use the blow dryer to dry the water in my ears.

Debi

Hey Big, did the doc mention wearing ear plugs? you can buy little rubbery ones in any pharmacy..they twist, you place them in your ears, and then they conform to size. alot of people wear them when flying also. swimmers ear is painful! do make sure you tilt your head and shake to get as much water out of your ear canal as you can. most people that have problems with swimmers ear have a more significant bend in the ear canal that traps water..which then traps bacteria. hope it feels better!!!! (as Barb mentioned...dry your ears well after showering, too) but NEVER use Q-tips as they are abrasive causing tiny scratches in the tissue...again making a prime home for bacteria. :)

BigDog2191

Big German Shepherd
Wow, I'm scared to go near water! My dad actually recommended the ear plugs but then how would I play Water Polo? ;)

Anybody know if it's bad to go swimming WHILE you have swimmer's ear? I really wanna go... :D

Debi

you can still hear everything with the ear plugs, they just are designed to keep the water out. :) NO...you do not want to chance swimming just now....unless your dad & I convince you to wear those ear plugs!! LOL don't make me come after you...LOL

Debi

you could put cotton in your ears until you get the ear plugs...you may have cotton balls at home handy. I'd rather you wore the plugs...but the point is to keep the water out of the ear canal. you don't have to pack a wad...just enough to keep the ear dry. IF you use cotton...the same scenerio exists, it can scratch so you would just place it gently into the ear..NOT pushing deep into the canal. it would also still allow you to hear. then remove immediately after coming out of the water...dry the canal with a soft cloth as far as your finger will permit...gently. Again...tilting your head from side to side to try and make sure you get any water out. I'm sure your doc would want you to continue the meds prior to swimming, tho. believe me....the pain could be worse...so make sure you do follow all instructions. :) (ok..my rant is finished...lol) you know the saying......'it's only because I care'. :)

Doberluv

As a kid and through my young adult days, I was always on a swim team, either at our private pool that we were members of or high school and in college. After each swim, we use to put 2 or 3 drops of rubbing alcohol with a dropper in our ears and then a cotton ball that we'd wear around for a while. We'd lay our head on the counter or table right on it's side and someone would do the dropping. That helps dry out the water. But that's a preventative measure. Once you have an infection, you need to see a doc.

http://www.entnet.org/healthinfo/ears/swimmers.cfm

joce

There are mixtures of vinegar drops that you cna put in your ears that lessen the chance of getting it somehow. I practically lived in my grandmas pool when I was little and got it all the time but if I kept up with that stuff it was fine. I know they used to sell it in stores too but my docter told my mom what to mix. If she was home I'd ask if she remembered but shes out of town. It just smells disgusting!

Debi

just don't do alcohol drops while using your prescription drops. alcohol is very drying...so when Doberluv says 'drops'...make sure it is just a drop or 2, and no more. it is a common practice to cleanse ear canals with a mixture of peroxide & water. just a couple drops peroxide to a drop of water to just dilute....place in the canal to cleanse and soften ear wax and help with it's removal...and halt bacteria. any type of drops are only for a healthy ear .....sure don't ever want to chance putting something in the canal if there is any reason to believe you could have a perforation in the ear drum. :)

BigDog2191

Big German Shepherd
On the package to the ear drops the doc prescribed it says 4-5 drops! :eek:

That's what my dad's been putting... uh-oh... I think I should just go see the doctor tomorrow.

Debi

LOL...Big..if that is the instruction per the doc and the prescription drops..then that is the amount to continue using!! I only meant for other things discussed..NOT your medication. :) :) :)

BigDog2191

Big German Shepherd
Much better. Got a shot with some anti-biotics and ear drops and it's feeling A LOT better.

But now, it feels a little clogged. Because for some ODD reason my dad decided it would be a good idea out of all the rooms to put Rocky in my room when we have company.

BARK, BARK, BARK, BARK, BARK, BARK, BARK!!!!!

Martine

Trained by an Airedale
Glad it's feeling better and you went to the doctors and got treated. My friend in the UK surfs and recently got it but didn't go to the doctors and suddenly she went deaf, her ear drums had perforated....she's okay now but we were really worried about her hearing for a while.

Sheba

I W A L R
I had it inm the beginning or the Summer...Go to the doctor and ask him or her to get all of the clumps of wax out of your ears when you go...that was you cant get Swimmers Ear!

When I had it, my ear hurt a lot, so I know what you feel like with Swimmers Ear!

Members online

No members online now.