Best treats for clicker training?

• Thread starter Backward_Cinderella
  • Start date
B

Backward_Cinderella

Click to Calm came in the mail today... That was really quick! So... None of the treats I have in the house are small enough for me to use for clicker training. I haven't started reading the book yet, but the booklet that came with the clicker says to *click* *treat* 25 times one day and 25 the next to associate the clicking noise with the treat.
What do your dogs like? Where can I find it?

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
Oh gosh, you can use just about anything. I go through treats really quickly so I usually just get the cheap Petco brand jerky strips, and tear them up into small pieces. A big bag is only $10 I think and I'm able to get a lot of little pieces out of each strip. No, they're not healthy treats but they get the job done! I've also used Zukes, diced hot dogs, diced cheese, Natural Balance food rolls... I'm known to just wander the treat aisle at pet stores looking for whatever will suit my needs. :D

Kat09Tails

*Now with Snark*
use what floats your dogs boat.

chicken always seems to be a hit, just boil a chicken breast and cut it into a bozillion pieces. cheese is also a time honored favorite around here.

The key is little pieces, no more than one bite and down the hatch.

elegy

overdogged
string cheese, little bits of hot dog, natural balance roll (or petsmart's brand, which is what i usually use) cut into little pieces.

for something very low key in a very low distraction environment, sometimes i use cat kibble.

MandyPug

Sport Model Pug
I use natural bison pepperoni sticks sliced really thin. Or any other soft dog treat cut up small.

Or... The tuna snacks.

2 cans of tuna (don't drain)
1/2 cup of pumpkin
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tbsp parmesan cheese

blend ingredients in food processor until a good consistancy, i add a bit more flour if it is too gooey. spray a cookie sheet or muffin tins. spread the mixute evenly and cook 25 min at 350. cut the fudgey goodness into squares, and store in the freezer and use as needed.
Dig-it Fetch-it Herd-it: what's cookin'?

Those are by far the best treats i've used for izzie. Stinky, but not unbearable, and cheap and easy to make.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Pretty much anything the dogs will work for...I've used chicken, kibble, beef jerky, cheese, Charlie Bear treats, this, that and the other...it doesn't much matter. :)

MericoX

Roos, Poos, & a Wog!
Cheese, hotdog, natural balance rolls, Zukes, Cloud 9 stuff, these tiny treats I get from SitStay, and when on sale, I'll use cat treats. They're small, soft and smell awesome to the dogs.

ihartgonzo

and Fozzie B!
When I am going to be using tons and tons of treats, I try to mix in kibble so I can count that as their whole daily food intake, and there is some variation in treating. I take a small amount of chopped up either hotdog, cheese, chicken, or baconbits, etc, mix them with a cup of kibble and a little warm water in a ziplock. Then let it sit in the fridge overnight. The kibble will become completely marinated in the smell/flavor of whatever else is in there. When I feed kibble, it's Blue Wilderness Salmon or Instinct Salmon, so it's already pretty smelly and valuable.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
Cat food works well with Chloe...she would kill for cat food.

I've also used Cheerios before. Sure, they're grain, but they're small and non fattening and the dogs think they are getting the best reward ever - people food!

As for treats you can buy, I typically tear up Beggin Strips or the Puperoni type things. I think it may be Natural Balance (or Choice?) that has little bite sized semi-moist treats...they kind of remind me of the ferret treats I give my crew. Chloe LOVES them and they are great for training.

JacksonsMom

Jackson is the pickiest dog EVER when it comes to treats. He will turn his nose up at Zuke's sometimes even.

These are amazing, Jackson will do anything for them:
Amazon.com: Real Meat Chicken & Venison Jerky Dog Treats: Kitchen & Dining

They're so soft and the small bags have smaller pieces, but they are broken up super easily.

Other than that, I buy those cheese sticks at the grocery store and use small pieces, or real meat like chicken.

Sit Stay

Not a Border Collie
I just use Benny Bullies broken up super small, or if I'm training close to dinner/lunch time I'll just use half of her dinner/lunch.

If I need something higher value for when we're in a more challenging environment I'll use bits of cheese, hot dog, or Rollover.

Members online

No members online now.